The Student Room Group

Should I do 4 A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kohayton
I am doing the same subjects and sometimes I feel like people forget that although it is (maybe) of little benefit to a university application that doing a subject for the sake of learning and gaining knowledge is very enjoyable.

Exactly! I never actually had the intention of continuing with physics (we were forced to choose 4 subjects to do for the start of year 12) but I realised that I enjoyed learning about it so much more than I thought I would so I just carried on.
Original post by Emily5243
Exactly! I never actually had the intention of continuing with physics (we were forced to choose 4 subjects to do for the start of year 12) but I realised that I enjoyed learning about it so much more than I thought I would so I just carried on.

I am exactly the same - but with biology. At the start of the year I thought I would drop it but now I’m continuing to do it in y13!
I started off with five A levels, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Geography, and Chemistry. It was my school policy for all students to start on four in case you want to drop one A level, you can fall back onto three. And they didn't count Further Maths as a 'proper' subject, so I ended up doing five. Dropped Geography after two terms. I did enjoy taking four, personally I found it really interesting. To be perfectly honest, doing four a levels as opposed to doing three added little to no benefit when applying to universities, all of my offers were based on three A levels, however, it did ensure that if I messed up on one exam then I could fall back on my other three. That does beg the question though, should I have just done three and invested the time I put into my fourth subject across the other three?
Original post by Emily5243
Thank you! Just trying to show it's possible to do 4 subjects and do well in all of them

It was possible for YOU to do four subects and excel in them, but not all studentsfind it so easy. A LOT of students in my 6th form dropped their fourth subect after AS levels to concentrate on 3 subjects.
Original post by Nautilus
It was possible for YOU to do four subects and excel in them, but not all studentsfind it so easy. A LOT of students in my 6th form dropped their fourth subect after AS levels to concentrate on 3 subjects.

Yes, it was possible for me and it could potentially be possible for OP as well. As I have said earlier, people in my school also dropped down to 3 - not always because they couldn't handle it but because it is unnecessary for uni applications. Also, I never said it was easy, far from it. However, I find that a lot of people are quick to shut down those who want to give 4 subjects a go and I'm just trying say that there's no harm in trying and they can always drop a subject after a few months if it becomes too much. There's no obligation to commit to 4 subjects if your grades are slipping.

Quick Reply

Latest