Turn on thread page Beta

Making this thread because I am off to uni in a month and I've never done any of these things and I am embarassed that I haven't (which is why mods PLEASE KEEP ANON as I have mates on here who would rip the piss out of me if they saw this). I haven't been clubbing although I've been to private hall parties, I've never been to a pub and I'm rubbish at pool and I have no idea what a "pub crawl" is, and same goes for a gig and what to do them.

Any guys the same, or can offer me some advice on what to do at any of these, because I expect to be at lots of them and want to know how to get the best out of them and enjoy them all the way...

A few promoters from my uni have contacted me through sites like Myspace and Facebook which makes me think I'll be getting a lot of invites to these kind of events, so first off;

Clubbing - what is it? Is everyone 'on the pull' there, do you just find a random girl there and start dancing with her? How long does a night usually last, what happens etc. Any tips on how to dance even? lol at private parties I've been at I've stopped dancing after about 60 seconds because I get bored of moving the same way...how do you dance non stop? Do you also sit anywhere to have a few drinks, or is it all dancing?

Pubs - what is a pub crawl? Do you go to pubs to watch the footy, or is it just for a sit down and a drink? Also, my brothers took me out to play pool and I was so ****, it was embarassing. Do you think people I meet at uni will be willing to practise with me and help me get better, because I am that ****.

Gigs and festivals - for gigs, is this just watching some band perform? I really don't have a clue about these ones. I've got events coming up where bands are playing somewhere, what happens?

Forgive me for sounding like I've been living in a cave all my life, but yes I have been very sheltered. I'd appreciate some tips and advice on what to expect and how to fully enjoy these things!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Pubs - what is a pub crawl? Do you go to pubs to watch the footy, or is it just for a sit down and a drink? Also, my brothers took me out to play pool and I was so ****, it was embarassing. Do you think people I meet at uni will be willing to practise with me and help me get better, because I am that ****.
    A Pub Crawl is when you go around a number of pubs getting, having a drink or two at each one in turn. As for what you do in a pub - it depends on the pub. Many pubs won't have televisions in them (certainly the more traditional sort that I'd frequent) and so it's talking and drinking. Other pubs do have football/rugby/other sport on. It depends on the pub, the time of day and who you're with!

As for pool - don't worry! You seem to think that every pub has a pool table in it, which isn't the case. I wouldn't worry about being good, the vast majority of the people I play pool with when slightly inebriated during term are as good as I am - that is to say bloody awful.

Hope that helps re pubs, I'm probably not the person to be talking about clubs...

ReputationRep:
    Clubbing - what is it? Is everyone 'on the pull' there, do you just find a random girl there and start dancing with her? How long does a night usually last, what happens etc. Any tips on how to dance even? lol at private parties I've been at I've stopped dancing after about 60 seconds because I get bored of moving the same way...how do you dance non stop? Do you also sit anywhere to have a few drinks, or is it all dancing?!!
    First off don't worry that you havn't been before I'm sure they will be more people than you think.

Basically with clubbing, in my experiance, I think people either love it or hate it. I personally love it

No, not everyone is 'on the pull', ok obviously some will be, but I often go just for the dancing and music with my girl friends- we are not there just to meet guys!

A typical night will start at about approx 10pm until 2/3am. Nearly all clubs will have a Student Night where entry is normally a bit cheaper and there are special deals on drinks.

It often depends on the club- some of the more 'hardcore' ones that I have been too don't really have any seats, or ones that aren't for reservations only etc, so people do continuously dance, yes. Or stand! Others may have more of a bar in them with seats around them etc.
    With regard on 'how' to dance, there are no rules- just have a fun and not worry!! No one is there to judge or anything, and trust me once you get going it is very easy to dance non stop; on holiday all of us were dancing from 11pm - 6am continuously and oddly you don't really get tired. I think its just the loud music and atmosphere (maybe a few drinks ) that keep you going!!

Hope that helps and have fun

ReputationRep:
    hercules loves a good festival/gigg and it is just getting together with a few dudes to listen to music, depends what music type what people do, always try to get abit of a bounce going whenever possible at indie giggs

Hercules

ReputationRep:
    As above it varies between different venues and music tastes as to what happens / goes on!

No one expects you to be an awesome pool player as well as have the best moves on the dance floor and be able to down xx pints with no effect! Just go out and enjoy yourself with people you like!

ReputationRep:
    How about going to the pub, or going clubbing with some mates near where you live?! Get a feel for the atmosphere before you're thrust into it at uni?

Pub-wise:

I'm a big pub fan. It's relaxing, it's chilled, and you have a good chat. I generally won't get very drunk at the pub, but i might play pool or darts if it's on offer. It's social.

Clubbing:

It's AWESOME. Not everyone's on the pull - infact from my experience, only a small portion are! It's about dancing, having fun, and doing anything to enjoy the night. You'll stay out till 2-3 (5 ish if you're hardcore!) and it's a good laff. Generally, you'd warm up in bars where you'd sit around drinking!

Gigs:

I don't go to many, but they are good fun, if expensive! :s Go to your local gig venue (carling academy if you have one) with some mates to watch anything, get in the mood, and get at the front. it's a giggle.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure you wont be the only person.

In my experience;

Pubs- We tend to just have a few drinks and a chat. Its more of a relaxed social place. Yeh theres the option of pool etc, it just depends on the place.

Clubbing- I wouldnt say everybody is on the pull. I go out a fair bit and its not very often you see anything going on. Its pretty much people drinking, dancing and having a good time. Most places tend to have dancefloors etc but also places to sit. Personally we tend to go out around 9ish, have a few drinks in bars/pubs then move on to a club, probs leave anywhere between 2-4am (Unless we move onto other places which are open longer-then it could be later)

ReputationRep:
    if your moving to uni and moving into halls im sure there be loads of people and during freshers week most evening events are planned out for you. go along with the majority, do as others are doing, follow someone elses lead untill you are a bit more confident with it all.

as for pubs...... i find there are a few different types/atmospheres..... either there propper pubs where everyone just sits around and drinks (unless there is a specific sports event on where they might well show it) or there are more the 'bar' type pubs where people sit and stand (depending on how busy it is), there tends to be music on, a few people may dance on a small dance floor (these tend to be a warm up to clubs)

clubs.... can be quite daunting at first. not every one is out to pull (mind you, freshers week might be slightly different....as alot of pulling will occur!!!!) people tend to stand around, maybe sit if there is seating area, you get board you can always take a walk a lap of the place!!! from my experience you go for a dance every now and then when you fancy it or a specic song you like comes up. tend to last from about 10/11pm ish to 1/2am depending.

just stick with your friends youll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry,theres no certain way you have to act, youll pick it all up pretty soon, by the end of freshers week youll be a pro, haa

ReputationRep:
    Any guys the same, or can offer me some advice on what to do at any of these, because I expect to be at lots of them and want to know how to get the best out of them and enjoy them all the way...
    That's part of the fun my friend...some of my best clubbing nights were when I just started and it was all new, exciting and not what I expected. I had the same fears as you. I can tell you now after my first year I've pulled once (out of about 40-50 nights), and that wasnt amongst my best nights. Our ritual was usually drink a few beers/play some drinking games beforehand (you will learn, dont worry), go to a club, get drunk, and chat **** to randoms/dance/cause mayhem in general (all which come naturally when drunk). Some people do tend to go on the pull, but I have a close group of friends who would usually rather stick together - besides, my kind of girl isn't the one who is willing to get with someone they have only just met!

I'm sure you can get better at pool with practice and help. If you ask someone you wont get laughted at, quite the opposite, they will feel valued to be asked for advice.

Pub crawls are ace, you just walk to differernt pubs in drink in each. Usually ending up at a club (see above). Of course you can just go to the pub to drink and watch the footy, although I usually preferred getting the beers in and watching it in the flat with mates.

Not so sure about gigs, I think its mostly a different crowd to clubs - people are more there for the music. Still have a laugh and get drunk.

Festivals are just my favourite thing ever, despite the british summer weather!! Pitch a tent with your mates, get absolutely *******sed, and do all the things I mentioned above, except over the course of a few days!! The atmosphere is amazing, everyone is just up for having a good time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.