Uni with BTEC and self-taught Alevel

Watch
Maliaishere
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I'm currently doing BTEC Level 3 IT. And I really want to get into Durham university. The entry requirements for Durham are D*DD and A in alevel maths. I'm planning on self teaching studying Alevel maths to get into Durham as my college doesn't teach ALevels. I'm going to be taking my exam around may or June next year (2021) in a local exam center.

Now I'm really confused on how the whole process is going to be like. my ucas application for uni needs to be done by January 2021, and we all know that you apply for your 5 unis based on what your predicted grades are. I'm not fussed about my BTEC grades because I got a D in pretty much all of my units and I feel like if I try hard enough I can get a D*DD. What I'm worried about is my Alevel Maths prediction.
How do I put down Durham as my first choice if I don't even have a predicted grade for Alevel maths? Won't they reject me on the spot because I don't have an Alevel prediction? Should I just give up my hopes in getting into Durham?

I don't know what to do, I would really appreciate it if you could help me out!
robertgallacher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't see why they should reject you on the spot, but what may be worth looking into is sitting the TMUA. It is recommended for Maths applicants, but if you can succeed on the TMUA, then that will show good evidence of Maths ability. Also, just because your college doesn't offer it, it doesn't mean it would be impossible to get a predicted grade. It may be possible to see if you can get a teacher to see any work you've done and give you a predicted grade based on that.

Link for TMUA information:
https://www.admissionstesting.org/fo...ity-admission/
Maliaishere
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by robertgallacher)
I don't see why they should reject you on the spot, but what may be worth looking into is sitting the TMUA. It is recommended for Maths applicants, but if you can succeed on the TMUA, then that will show good evidence of Maths ability. Also, just because your college doesn't offer it, it doesn't mean it would be impossible to get a predicted grade. It may be possible to see if you can get a teacher to see any work you've done and give you a predicted grade based on that.

Link for TMUA information:
https://www.admissionstesting.org/fo...ity-admission/
Thank you!! Also if I sit a TMUA exam instead of an Alevel and get a grade, do you think that I could get into the uni I want to get into with the grade?
robertgallacher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Maliaishere)
Thank you!! Also if I sit a TMUA exam instead of an Alevel and get a grade, do you think that I could get into the uni I want to get into with the grade?
Perhaps, but it's unlikely for Durham. The TMUA is the entrance exam for students who are applying for Maths to get a reduced offer, so it may be much harder than you expect. You could probably write to Durham directly explaining your situation, and they may give you an offer with the A in Maths regardless of whether or not you can get an official prediction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (203)
39.34%
Take autumn exams (157)
30.43%
Look for a job (17)
3.29%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.07%
Take a year out (88)
17.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
5.81%

Watched Threads