The Student Room Group

More Than Smart Wheels - Night time driving

Hi everyone. I’m thinking about taking out black box insurance with More Than. The only thing is is that I work in McDonalds so I regularly drive after 10pm(the time they say is safe to drive until). I was wondering if anyone has any past experience with them and if this is a BIG issue e.g. they cancel my insurance. Need to know ASAP as I’m taking it out next week :smile:
Don’t go with them. I have more than and I’ve had a few issues with them despite only using my car to drive to and from college during the day and go out every now and then for shopping etc. They’re a rip off. They’ve threaten to cancel my insurance twice, one was when the issue was with them because the black box broke and everything was in red despite my driving not changing at all. Then they replaced the black box for free, ONLY after me and my mum had a go at them because they wanted us to pay for a new box even though it wasn’t my fault it was messed up. The second time is when I had to emergency break for a kid that ran out in the middle of the road (it was a 30 road with no schools so I kept to the speed limit and didn’t expect to see a kid run out) and my smoothness went in red, I explained this to them but they still said I had 7 days to get it back in green or else they’d cancel my insurance. It’s true that they don’t have curfews but I’ve never driven at night with them so I couldn’t tell you about that specifically, but my guess is that if they would threaten to cancel my insurance for emergency breaking to prevent me from running over a child, then they would probably threaten you for consistently driving past 10pm even though you have work. My driving score for the past year has been an overall 10 and guess what my renewal discount is? 23%. Rip off. I’m going with a different I’m insurance company once this policy cancels, I’m hoping to get no black box but that’s proving to be extremely expensive. However, I would rather have no insurance than pay out for more than again. You’re better of looking at somewhere else like Ticker or Sky Insurance, or Admiral little box even. There’s quite a few black box insurers who are not only cheaper and offer a better renewal price, but they also don’t threaten to cancel policies over stupid things.
Reply 2
Thanks for your response. I’m driving a 2.0 BMW 1 series and I’m still 17 so you can probably tell that my insurance quotes are over £2000. More than quoted me £2000 then coop quoted me £2100 and from there the quotes sky rocketed to £3000 etc. Admiral quoted me £5000! So won’t be taking insurance out with them anytime soon. I think I might call more than and ask them but I’m very greatful for your reply as that sounds HORRIBLE 😣

Original post by Anonymous17!
Don’t go with them. I have more than and I’ve had a few issues with them despite only using my car to drive to and from college during the day and go out every now and then for shopping etc. They’re a rip off. They’ve threaten to cancel my insurance twice, one was when the issue was with them because the black box broke and everything was in red despite my driving not changing at all. Then they replaced the black box for free, ONLY after me and my mum had a go at them because they wanted us to pay for a new box even though it wasn’t my fault it was messed up. The second time is when I had to emergency break for a kid that ran out in the middle of the road (it was a 30 road with no schools so I kept to the speed limit and didn’t expect to see a kid run out) and my smoothness went in red, I explained this to them but they still said I had 7 days to get it back in green or else they’d cancel my insurance. It’s true that they don’t have curfews but I’ve never driven at night with them so I couldn’t tell you about that specifically, but my guess is that if they would threaten to cancel my insurance for emergency breaking to prevent me from running over a child, then they would probably threaten you for consistently driving past 10pm even though you have work. My driving score for the past year has been an overall 10 and guess what my renewal discount is? 23%. Rip off. I’m going with a different I’m insurance company once this policy cancels, I’m hoping to get no black box but that’s proving to be extremely expensive. However, I would rather have no insurance than pay out for more than again. You’re better of looking at somewhere else like Ticker or Sky Insurance, or Admiral little box even. There’s quite a few black box insurers who are not only cheaper and offer a better renewal price, but they also don’t threaten to cancel policies over stupid things.
Original post by Jay750
Thanks for your response. I’m driving a 2.0 BMW 1 series and I’m still 17 so you can probably tell that my insurance quotes are over £2000. More than quoted me £2000 then coop quoted me £2100 and from there the quotes sky rocketed to £3000 etc. Admiral quoted me £5000! So won’t be taking insurance out with them anytime soon. I think I might call more than and ask them but I’m very greatful for your reply as that sounds HORRIBLE 😣

It was horrible 😞 I’m actually a very good driver as you can probably figure out by my overall score being 10/10 despite a few incidents here and there. I’m 18 and I drive a Peugeot urban 107 1.0 and my average quote is £2,500-£2,600 with black box. tried go girl for no black box and it was a whopping £3,800! But I would definitely recommend looking somewhere else. Try go compare, they will give you quotes for many different insurers and will go from cheapest to most expensive. So try them out and look for somewhere else. However, also beware that normally on go compare the cheapest quotes for young people is usually from hasting smart miles, about £1,500-£1,800 for most people. Don’t go with them either. I have a friend who went with them and he has had his insurance cancelled for driving at night for work (he works in a warehouse) and even though he explained this when he purchased the policy, the still cancelled him! So stay away from more than if you can and beware Hastings smart miles.
Have you thought about a smaller engined car, where the insurance will be cheaper? Or having the kindness of a family member collect you when you work after 10pm and getting the bus into work?
Reply 5
Original post by Jay750

Perhaps look at a different car that you can actually afford to run?
Reply 6
It was horrible 😞 I’m actually a very good driver as you can probably figure out by my overall score being 10/10 despite a few incidents here and there. I’m 18 and I drive a Peugeot urban 107 1.0 and my average quote is £2,500-£2,600 with black box. tried go girl for no black box and it was a whopping £3,800! But I would definitely recommend looking somewhere else. Try go compare, they will give you quotes for many different insurers and will go from cheapest to most expensive. So try them out and look for somewhere else. However, also beware that normally on go compare the cheapest quotes for young people is usually from hasting smart miles, about £1,500-£1,800 for most people. Don’t go with them either. I have a friend who went with them and he has had his insurance cancelled for driving at night for work (he works in a warehouse) and even though he explained this when he purchased the policy, the still cancelled him! So stay away from more than if you can and beware Hastings smart miles.

Ahh thanks, have seen Hastings direct pop up now and again. I used go compare and confused.com to get some quotes so if you could recommend any other insurance companies I could try that would be great!
Original post by Jay750
Ahh thanks, have seen Hastings direct pop up now and again. I used go compare and confused.com to get some quotes so if you could recommend any other insurance companies I could try that would be great!

I’ve heard of one called mustard, or maybe it was marmalade? I can’t remember. I don’t really have any recommendations tbh except for ticker (which are picky about postcode) and sky insurance.
Original post by Jay750

Don't get a blackbox, especially as you'll be driving late at night.
If you can't afford it without then get a different car, or at least a smaller engine size.
Reply 9
I’ve heard of one called mustard, or maybe it was marmalade? I can’t remember. I don’t really have any recommendations tbh except for ticker (which are picky about postcode) and sky insurance.

Okay will look into those now thank you 😊
Reply 10
Original post by LTEcactus
Don't get a blackbox, especially as you'll be driving late at night.
If you can't afford it without then get a different car, or at least a smaller engine size.

I’m still 17. I looked at driving a 1.2 SEAT Ibiza and without a black box, the cheapest one was £3000! Not getting a black box is just not possible.
Reply 11
Original post by Jay750
Not getting a black box is just not possible.

Yes it is. You just need to find the right vehicle for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending