The Student Room Group

Is taking biology a bad idea?

I'm planning on taking History/Psychology and possibly biology. Really I just want to take generally respected subjects and if I'm going to take psychology I thought I would need at least two other good subjects.

Is taking biology along with these subjects a good choice?

I'm not really interested in Maths/Physics/Chemistry, and I'm not really sure at all about English, wasn't a massive fan of it at GCSE it wasn't necessarily hard I just found it annoying that the mark scheme was vaguer then say the sciences.
Reply 1
Yeah i don’t see why not! Like you say it’s well respected and since it’s a science it will leave some doors open in terms of degrees/careers.

Do you not know what you want to do after a levels?
Reply 2
I really have no clue I considered medicine for a bit then realised it wasn't for me, and I've been looking into future jobs but haven't really found anything I'm super interested in. I think university also phases me like I feel like I need to be doing a well-paying job by the end of it if I'm going to go through it since it costs quite a bit.
i love biology
Original post by Endel555
I'm planning on taking History/Psychology and possibly biology. Really I just want to take generally respected subjects and if I'm going to take psychology I thought I would need at least two other good subjects.

Is taking biology along with these subjects a good choice?

I'm not really interested in Maths/Physics/Chemistry, and I'm not really sure at all about English, wasn't a massive fan of it at GCSE it wasn't necessarily hard I just found it annoying that the mark scheme was vaguer then say the sciences.

Hello @Endel555,

It sounds like you've got a great range of subjects here! It's good to see a balance between more essay based subjects as well as a science, and keeping a broad range means you have a chance to try out and develop skills across different areas, meaning you'll hopefully have a clearer idea on your options when you're leaving school.

Can I ask what other subjects you'd be considering other than Biology if you've ruled out the other sciences? :smile: Don't worry too much about knowing what you want to do after leaving school/university yet - you've loads of time to figure that out! Do subjects you enjoy and do them well would be my advice!

-Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 5
I really have no clue I considered medicine for a bit then realised it wasn't for me, and I've been looking into future jobs but haven't really found anything I'm super interested in. I think university also phases me like I feel like I need to be doing a well-paying job by the end of it if I'm going to go through it since it costs quite a bit.

I know the feeling. And yeah i know what you mean about university, obviously degrees do help but then you get so many people claiming that they make no difference especially in certain areas so it is all a bit daunting.

The best thing you can do then is probably to just do subjects that you enjoy and are interested in the most and then you should probably be fine when you decide what you want to do at uni/for a job bc it will be in line with your a levels.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hello @Endel555,

It sounds like you've got a great range of subjects here! It's good to see a balance between more essay based subjects as well as a science, and keeping a broad range means you have a chance to try out and develop skills across different areas, meaning you'll hopefully have a clearer idea on your options when you're leaving school.

Can I ask what other subjects you'd be considering other than Biology if you've ruled out the other sciences? :smile: Don't worry too much about knowing what you want to do after leaving school/university yet - you've loads of time to figure that out! Do subjects you enjoy and do them well would be my advice!

Not really sure I was thinking if that taking those 3 was a bad option to just force myself to take Biology/Chemistry/Psychology but there was also the option of Sociology with my other subjects instead of Biology.
Reply 7
Biology is great it’s hard at the start cause there’s a lot of content to remember but when it clicks it’s just simple recall. Worst bit for me is the essay (I do AQA) cause I’m shocking at English.
Not really sure I was thinking if that taking those 3 was a bad option to just force myself to take Biology/Chemistry/Psychology but there was also the option of Sociology with my other subjects instead of Biology.

You're keeping your subjects broad and varied, which is a really good move IMO :smile: Sociology would also be really interesting and would likely compliment your History studies nicely too! It's totally up to you really, but I'd say definitely pick classes that you're sure you'll enjoy - that's often half the battle when it comes to studying/exam time! Don't "force" yourself to take classes because you think there's a perfect combination- there's no right or wrong answer but if you like what you're doing that'll hopefully make things easier.

Take care,

Quick Reply

Latest