Can I get pregnant if I take the pill at the same time everyday?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Me and my boyfriend want to start having sex, but we’re trying to weigh up whether it’s safe enough or not what with Covid etc. Anyway, when we do eventfully have sex at some point, we want to make sure it’s safe sexually as well. Neither of us has ever had sex or do anything sexual with other people, we will be each other’s first everything is there’s no risk of STD’s (before anyone says anything, no bother of us have done drugs or shared needles or anything like that) and I’ve been on the pill for about 5 years now, I don’t take it at the exact same time every day, I usually take it between 8:00am-10:00am, but after talking my doctor she says it’s most effective if you take it at the exact same time. I’m going to start taking it at the same time every day from now on and will give it about a month until me and my boyfriend do anything, but how high is the risk of me getting pregnant? My doctor says right now it’s about 90% but if I take it at the same time, it will be 99%. The thing is, I have this condition called endometriosis and that’s what I take the pill, my mum had the exact same problems as me and her symptoms were very similar to mine when she was my age. She ended up getting pregnant even though she was on the pill and used it correctly, and she even got pregnant with me when she had an IUD. So, I’m just worried that even though it says 99% effective, my mum was careful and used it right and still got pregnant so I just don’t want that to happen to me, but at the same time neither me or my boyfriend want to use condoms because 1) were not going to get any STD’s and 2) we want to be as close together as possible. So, should we try it or should we use a condom first and then build up more trust/more comfort? Thanks.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
No you can't get pregnant taking the pill every day. That is the whole point of the pill.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
No you can't get pregnant taking the pill every day. That is the whole point of the pill.
I think I’m just paranoid because the doc said it will be 99% effective but there’s still that 1% chance I could, and it’s just my mum was the 1% and like were exactly the same with the condition and what my symptoms are like and stuff so I’m worried I might be that 1% as well.
rxyaltyx
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
isn't that what the pill is for
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Me and my boyfriend want to start having sex, but we’re trying to weigh up whether it’s safe enough or not what with Covid etc. Anyway, when we do eventfully have sex at some point, we want to make sure it’s safe sexually as well. Neither of us has ever had sex or do anything sexual with other people, we will be each other’s first everything is there’s no risk of STD’s (before anyone says anything, no bother of us have done drugs or shared needles or anything like that) and I’ve been on the pill for about 5 years now, I don’t take it at the exact same time every day, I usually take it between 8:00am-10:00am, but after talking my doctor she says it’s most effective if you take it at the exact same time. I’m going to start taking it at the same time every day from now on and will give it about a month until me and my boyfriend do anything, but how high is the risk of me getting pregnant? My doctor says right now it’s about 90% but if I take it at the same time, it will be 99%. The thing is, I have this condition called endometriosis and that’s what I take the pill, my mum had the exact same problems as me and her symptoms were very similar to mine when she was my age. She ended up getting pregnant even though she was on the pill and used it correctly, and she even got pregnant with me when she had an IUD. So, I’m just worried that even though it says 99% effective, my mum was careful and used it right and still got pregnant so I just don’t want that to happen to me, but at the same time neither me or my boyfriend want to use condoms because 1) were not going to get any STD’s and 2) we want to be as close together as possible. So, should we try it or should we use a condom first and then build up more trust/more comfort? Thanks.
A lot of people think that if you take contraception or use condoms, it means that you cannot get pregnant. This is false information. Contraception massively reduces the risk of pregnant but does not eliminate it completely. If you take the pill at the same time every day, there is still a 1% chance of pregnancy. If 100 women were taking the pill, 1 of them would get pregnant despite taking it correctly. If a fertile man and fertile woman are having sex, even with contraception, there will always be a chance of pregnancy.

However, if you take the pill correctly then you should trust in it to do its job and protect you from pregnancy. If you are quite scared of getting pregnant, then I recommend not having sex at all, because then your chances of pregnancy really will be 0. If you want, you can use condoms as well because then at least if the pill fails, the condom should provide a bit of a back up. In my opinion, it isn't necessary. You would be fine to just use the pill.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by rxyaltyx)
isn't that what the pill is for
The pill can be used as medication for period problems which is why I use it so I don’t take it at the same time everyday and sometimes I forget to take it etc which makes it a not good contraceptive but I was just worried about possibly getting pregnant still because other women have gotten pregnant on the pill
rxyaltyx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The pill can be used as medication for period problems which is why I use it so I don’t take it at the same time everyday and sometimes I forget to take it etc which makes it a not good contraceptive but I was just worried about possibly getting pregnant still because other women have gotten pregnant on the pill
well like any other form of contraception it's not 100% accurate but it is still a good form and most of the time accurate. It's about 91% effective which is pretty good
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
A lot of people think that if you take contraception or use condoms, it means that you cannot get pregnant. This is false information. Contraception massively reduces the risk of pregnant but does not eliminate it completely. If you take the pill at the same time every day, there is still a 1% chance of pregnancy. If 100 women were taking the pill, 1 of them would get pregnant despite taking it correctly. If a fertile man and fertile woman are having sex, even with contraception, there will always be a chance of pregnancy.

However, if you take the pill correctly then you should trust in it to do its job and protect you from pregnancy. If you are quite scared of getting pregnant, then I recommend not having sex at all, because then your chances of pregnancy really will be 0. If you want, you can use condoms as well because then at least if the pill fails, the condom should provide a bit of a back up. In my opinion, it isn't necessary. You would be fine to just use the pill.
Exactly! I’m scared of being that 1% because my mum was! But neither rod is really what’s to use condoms. I think I’ll just think on it some more and discuss more with my boyfriend about whether we go double-protection with pills next condoms or just trust in the pill to do it’s job. Thanks! Finally, a response from someone who is actually educated and it’s just telling me ‘that’s what the pill is for’. Thank you
DrawTheLine
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rxyaltyx)
well like any other form of contraception it's not 100% accurate but it is still a good form and most of the time accurate. It's about 91% effective which is pretty good
If taken correctly the pill is 99% effective.
Jesscruzx
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
This used to be me for my periods lmao , jus set an alarm on your phone for the time u wanna take it daily so you won’t forget and it’ll be the same time then that’s what I done , and it’s 99% effective so you should be fine but if you don’t find it a good contraceptive consider the implant maybe ?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Exactly! I’m scared of being that 1% because my mum was! But neither rod is really what’s to use condoms. I think I’ll just think on it some more and discuss more with my boyfriend about whether we go double-protection with pills next condoms or just trust in the pill to do it’s job. Thanks! Finally, a response from someone who is actually educated and it’s just telling me ‘that’s what the pill is for’. Thank you
I'm also speaking from personal experience. Feel free to PM me if you want more information, as I won't discuss too much on the public site. It's a risk that women take all the time. Think about it this way, if a lot of women got pregnant on the pill, then it wouldn't be such a popular and recommended use of contraception. It might be a case of just trusting it and then with time you'll realise that you aren't getting pregnant and that it is working, and then you'll relax a bit.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I think I’m just paranoid because the doc said it will be 99% effective but there’s still that 1% chance I could, and it’s just my mum was the 1% and like were exactly the same with the condition and what my symptoms are like and stuff so I’m worried I might be that 1% as well.
There's no chance you getting pregnant from the pill. Take it same time every day and you'll be fine.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jesscruzx)
This used to be me for my periods lmao , jus set an alarm on your phone for the time u wanna take it daily so you won’t forget and it’ll be the same time then that’s what I done , and it’s 99% effective so you should be fine but if you don’t find it a good contraceptive consider the implant maybe ?
An alarm is a good idea, thanks :lol: I never thought of that before but I guess it’s because I don’t want an alarm to go off in school or if I’m at the house and my little sister is sleeping. But I’ll try it. And yeah, I’ve been offered the implant but I prefer the pill actually, but thank you
DrawTheLine
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
There's no chance you getting pregnant from the pill. Take it same time every day and you'll be fine.
This is not correct. No contraception is 100% effective.
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Your boyfriend should take a share of responsibility by using condoms. No glove, no love, to use a phrase.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I'm also speaking from personal experience. Feel free to PM me if you want more information, as I won't discuss too much on the public site. It's a risk that women take all the time. Think about it this way, if a lot of women got pregnant on the pill, then it wouldn't be such a popular and recommended use of contraception. It might be a case of just trusting it and then with time you'll realise that you aren't getting pregnant and that it is working, and then you'll relax a bit.
Wow, thank you! And that’s true :lol: it wouldn’t be so recommended if it was bad at its job. Thanks I think I just need to get comfortable with the idea of it and then I’ll trust it more. I’ve never had sex before and have heard so many scare stories about the pill failing that I was just very worried but I feel better about it now.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Wow, thank you! And that’s true :lol: it wouldn’t be so recommended if it was bad at its job. Thanks I think I just need to get comfortable with the idea of it and then I’ll trust it more. I’ve never had sex before and have heard so many scare stories about the pill failing that I was just very worried but I feel better about it now.
Pfft, honestly ignore those horror stories. It's true that a small minority of women do have bad experiences, but that's like how only a minority of people get into a car crash when they go driving on the motorway, yet plenty of people still happily drive on the motorway every day. Good luck, and I hope you can relax completely soon.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.86%
The paper was reasonable (191)
48.85%
Not feeling great about that exam... (99)
25.32%
It was TERRIBLE (39)
9.97%

Watched Threads