rbma26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I have just graduated from the University of York with a degree in English and Related Literature and now want to pursue a Masters in Medieval Studies.

I've applied to York again for its Medieval Literatures and Languages and my offer got accepted.
- Pros: the course looks amazing and is well regarded, I know most of the tutors and I really like the fact you can pick modules from other courses (for example I can pick modules from Medieval History or even 20th Century literature if I wanted to), which gives me a lot of freedom.
- Cons: I didn't love the city (I'm a little bored of it and it's quite small), and I feel like I wouldn't be challenging myself with the MA (I know the way it works, the tutors, I've already done a few of the modules/languages on offer during my BA) and I feel like I might be a bit bored there.

I've also applied to UCL for its Medieval and Renaissance Studies, also accepted.
- Pros: the university and course are very well regarded, it's in a big city which is very different from York and the small village where I grew up/live. I really like the way the department works with museums and the British Library. I also like a lot of their modules and the fact it's not solely Medieval but also Renaissance. They have an excellent array of medieval language to learn which I am excited about.
- Cons: I find it's reputation a little intimidating. It's far more history based rather than literary based (I'm far more interested in the literature side of things), it's a lot more expensive than the other universities.

And I was accepted to Kings College London for its Medieval Studies.
- Pros: again an opportunity to live in London and be in a very well regarded university. It's more literary based and there are some modules that I'd love to do.
- Cons: it seems less involved with museums/libraries than UCL is, and seems to have a less good reputation, but I'm not sure on that.

Ultimately all them have equivalent pros and cons, and I'm really struggling to think which I'd rather do... I'd really appreciate any insight or advice any of you might have on any of these universities!

Thank you so much!
username1696923
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi! I'm afraid I can't help with any of this, but I'm thinking of applying to York for the Medieval History MA, I'm struggling a bit with the application and mostly personal statement so wondered if you had any tips! Good luck
rbma26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by 10studentlife)
Hi! I'm afraid I can't help with any of this, but I'm thinking of applying to York for the Medieval History MA, I'm struggling a bit with the application and mostly personal statement so wondered if you had any tips! Good luck
Hey, ofc I'll send you a private message with some tips!
jpb_ma
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm almost in the same boat here with choices. I'm a student from the US and have been accepted to York and KCL for the Medieval Studies MA. Am still waiting on a decision from UCL, but that's my top choice. It's good to know your perspective on the departments –*I prefer UCL since it is more history based, and York doesn't really seem to have many faculty options in my areas of interest. Hopefully I'll be in at UCL, but having a hard time choosing between York and UCL! Any tips?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (21)
9.5%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (132)
59.73%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.57%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.26%

Watched Threads