GDL at CoL Watch

Crimson Black
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is anyone joining my good self at Moorgate - or even Bloomsbury - this fine academic year? Pipe up, pipe up!
naelse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I will be Nice to meet you! Have you done the pre-term course? I can't seem to get myself away from the tv to read anything!
Crimson Black
Rep:
?
(Original post by naelse)
I will be Nice to meet you! Have you done the pre-term course? I can't seem to get myself away from the tv to read anything!
I've done half of it over the last month, am pacing myself so that I don't rush it all in the last minute. It's fascinating stuff.

Plus, I do some of it whenever I have a free moment during my internship right now... that said, I shouldn't be on TSR either... :ninja:

What campus are you on, may I ask?
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
He he good job Where's your internship?

I'm at Moorgate too, really looking forward to it! I started the course ages ago but my main problem is that I did A-level law and this particular unit is a mix of 80% things I already did with a few new things- so I still need to do it but it feels really boring to go through the motions... meh, I'm sure I will do it in time.
Crimson Black
Rep:
?
He he good job Where's your internship?

I'm at Moorgate too, really looking forward to it! I started the course ages ago but my main problem is that I did A-level law and this particular unit is a mix of 80% things I already did with a few new things- so I still need to do it but it feels really boring to go through the motions... meh, I'm sure I will do it in time.
Clifford Chance Düsseldorf. M&A department, it's quite exciting. We've got the builders round right now, so it's nice offices + lots of noise = disgruntled lawyers in half an office, so no change there. Ironically this week's been pretty quiet on the work front (am writing up some 'knowhow' articles for CC's database right now), last week it was all deadlines though.

Apparently CoL's just added the Preparing for Practice module. On the subject of the pre-course module... I'm finding it really exciting because I've never done law before (as in, duh, non-law grad, but no law a-level either ).

I'm full of coffee. I'm such a law n00b. Do you have a TC? I wish I had a TC. *wants* All I've gotten so far are big fat rejections, not even interviews. But! As Dorie sings: "Just keep trying, just keep trying..." (...what? I base my philosophy on an animated fish. So? :ninja:)
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm sure your internship will turn itself into a TC offer in no time- it sounds very impressive! I have a TC at CC, funnily enough. Is your stint in Düsseldorf an extension of the summer vac scheme or did you apply there direct? In any case, it'll look hugely impressive on future application forms. Anyway, I think lots of people won't have TCs yet, and apparently CoL have a good careers department.

And Dorie was a very wise fish!
Crimson Black
Rep:
?
I'm sure your internship will turn itself into a TC offer in no time- it sounds very impressive! I have a TC at CC, funnily enough. Is your stint in Düsseldorf an extension of the summer vac scheme or did you apply there direct? In any case, it'll look hugely impressive on future application forms. Anyway, I think lots of people won't have TCs yet, and apparently CoL have a good careers department.

And Dorie was a very wise fish!
I seriously doubt it, I applied there direct because I didn't get a vac scheme in London (poo but you know how it is, like gold dust, although I got an interview but I balls up, at Forsters), but thought that anything was better than nothing. I did a vac scheme at Lovells here too. What was really bizarre is that there was a trainee from CC London here in Düsseldorf, he did exactly the same degree as I did (German & History) but at UCL (I was at KCL). Small world. Where else did you do your vac schemes may I ask?

"Sound impressive" is a lot better than actually impressive though... recruiting partners aren't naive enough to go "Oooh Clifford Chance *glaze over*" and give me a TC interview, although it'd be nice if they did. :p:

It's technically not a vac scheme I'm doing but a "freiwilliges Praktikum" which translates into "voluntary internship" - German law students have to do compulsory internships which is a great idea in theory. Then again, they do five years of law school before doing two years of compulsory training, so seven total. Add onto that the compusory nine months military/civil service for males and the fact that they leave school at 19 means that most of them when they become associates will be 26/27. Plus, loads do LLMs and PhDs, so 28/30 years old... a surprising amount at KCL actually, seems to be popular for Germans. Compare that with 25 years old if all goes well even with the GDL here in the UK...

Yeah, CoL are supposed to have an excellent department. They'll be sorely tested with me. :p:

[/ramble ramble] :no:
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well obviously it'll take a little more than the CC name, but it definitely helps to have had hands-on experience. In my TC interviews they seemed quite interested in finding out how much I knew about what I was letting myself in for. To be honest I think that in some ways the main advantage of a vac scheme is being able to say that you've at the very least observed a lawyer in action and you still want to do it despite that. I did the CC winter workshop and vac schemes at Jones Day and Lovells.

Anyway, whatever the technicalities I'm sure you'll be able to put a decent spin on it and firms will lap it up. Did you like CC and Lovells? Will you be applying to them for TCs? I'm very much in love with both, it actually felt like a painful breakup when I had to pick one (not that I'm complaining!)

Argh, chatting to you is making me feel guilty for not studying! My boyfriend only got his acceptance through last week (late application) and he is already further along the course than me. I officially suck.

... OK, have now done 5 more mins of it. Now I can rest my poor exhausted brain for the rest of the week...
Crimson Black
Rep:
?
What I've learned from CC is that I'd probably not enjoy working in the big magic circle firm. I might in a silver circle one, or a mid-sized firm, though. I applied to Lovells actually, but was rejected; so I'll take at look at what went wrong there. I probs won't apply to CC just like that - I'd want to know more law rather than seeing it from a non-law grad's point of view before applying to a magic circle firm for a TC. :afraid:

Congrats to your boyfriend! So you're both going to be doing TCs at CC or do you mean acceptance to do the GDL with you? :confused:

EDIT: Oh God, my mentor's (associate) cellar was flooded last night and he didn't get to bed until 3am. He's tired and grumpy... I'd best go cheer him up and ask if there's any work I could take off him.
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hehe your poor mentor!

No, my boyfriend doesn't have a TC yet, I mean acceptance at CoL (but Bloomsbury). Obviously I want everyone to love CC but the MC isn't for everyone. The right firm for you is out there
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Come on, there must be more CoL people out there... I know of at least one lurker

Anyway, I thought I'd share that I found out today that I'm in C02/3- anyone else? They've already marked our timetables out in the Calendar section of the email as well, in case anyone is wondering.
Crimson Black
Rep:
?
I'm in C03-3. I didn't get an email though, found out from the ELITE page. I quite often don't get emails from the CoL through, it's very sporadic.

EDIT: Found the calendar section.
naelse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Same, I didn't get an email either. Looks like only Bloomsbury people got emails, as far as I can tell from the Facebook group
pingu007
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Hi,

I have just accepted the offer by COL (Bloomsbury) today! I am doing part-time GDL, so I might see some or one of you?!

Anyone doing GDL part-time at Bloomsbury?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (361)
45.93%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (243)
30.92%
I don't have an opinion (182)
23.16%

Watched Threads