The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants.

I've become very confused as to how much money I'll be getting next year when I'm at university and I would hugely appreciate any help anybody could give me.

Basically I'm not sure what happens with the supplementary grant when I get it. On my Student Finance sheet, it says that I'll get a maintenance grant of 2835.00 (sorry, I can't do pound signs on this keyboard:p:). Under the Maintenance Loan section however, there's a row which says "Less Loan substituted for grant" which is 1260.00. Would I be right in saying that this 1260.00 will be deducted from the 2835.00 leaving me with 1575.00 plus the loan which I have left? I'm confused because on the student finance website it says that I'll be receiving the first installment of my loan on the 8th of october at 1110.45 and my first grant of 900 quid or something:s-smilie:

Yet again, any help would be greatly appreciated!:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm confused. Did you not get a loan that covers your fees? If you did, that deals with your fees, the money goes straight to the university. The rest of the cash is yours.
Reply 2
The "Less Loan substituted for grant" is money taken off your loan because you qualify for the full maintenance grant.
Reply 3
Socrates
I'm confused. Did you not get a loan that covers your fees? If you did, that deals with your fees, the money goes straight to the university. The rest of the cash is yours.

*notices huge spelling mistake in title*:getmecoat:

Erm, yeah I got the loan for the tuition fees, and I understand that goes directly to the university. But there are also two boxes with money that I get. The maintenance loan is what I have to pay back and the supplementary grant (or the maintenance grant) is something I don't have to pay back. It's confused the hell out of me:s-smilie:

On the maintenance loan section, it says the following:

Basic Loan - 3470.00
Plus loan subject to income assessment - 1155.00
Less loan substituted for grant - 1260.00
Less assessed contribution to living costs - 0.00
Loan to be paid - 3365.00

Then on the Maintenance grant section it says:

Maintenance grant - 2835.00

I just don't understand whether the 2835.00 will have 1260.00 taken from it or not:s-smilie: Grrr...my school taught me nothing about student finance:frown:
Reply 4
SteJayy
The "Less Loan substituted for grant" is money taken off your loan because you qualify for the full maintenance grant.

Yeah, I understand it's taken from the loan and why it's taken, but does this mean that I'll receive 1260 quid less on my grant?:s:
Reply 5
Gooner
*notices huge spelling mistake in title*:getmecoat:

Erm, yeah I got the loan for the tuition fees, and I understand that goes directly to the university. But there are also two boxes with money that I get. The maintenance loan is what I have to pay back and the supplementary grant (or the maintenance grant) is something I don't have to pay back. It's confused the hell out of me:s-smilie:

On the maintenance loan section, it says the following:

Basic Loan - 3470.00
Plus loan subject to income assessment - 1155.00
Less loan substituted for grant - 1260.00
Less assessed contribution to living costs - 0.00
Loan to be paid - 3365.00

Ah ok. I get you now. This is your loan, and you'll have to pay it back when you graduate.
Then on the Maintenance grant section it says:

Maintenance grant - 2835.00

I just don't understand whether the 2835.00 will have 1260.00 taken from it or not:s-smilie: Grrr...my school taught me nothing about student finance:frown:

No you get the whole 2835, and you don't have to pay it back.

This should be in two separate sections - detailing that loan and grant is separate (because one is payable back and other isn't.) - I did this too long ago, I'm getting old for this :o:
Reply 6
Gooner
Yeah, I understand it's taken from the loan and why it's taken, but does this mean that I'll receive 1260 quid less on my grant?:s:

No its only taken of the loan. You get the full amount of grant.
Reply 7
Socrates
Ah ok. I get you now. This is your loan, and you'll have to pay it back when you graduate.

No you get the whole 2835, and you don't have to pay it back.

This should be in two separate sections - detailing that loan and grant is separate (because one is payable back and other isn't.) - I did this too long ago, I'm getting old for this :o:

Ooh right! So to clarify, (and here comes my appalling maths:p:) I'll get the 3365.00 PLUS the 2835 grant?

Jeez, I'm dim when it comes to money and banks. It took mum half an hour to explain how to write a cheque yesterday:o:
Reply 8
Gooner
Ooh right! So to clarify, (and here comes my appalling maths:p:) I'll get the 3365.00 PLUS the 2835 grant?

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, yes that is the case.
Reply 9
Brilliant! Thanks for clearing that up for me, Zaf, flipshot and SteJayy!:biggrin:
Gooner
I've become very confused as to how much money I'll be getting next year when I'm at university and I would hugely appreciate any help anybody could give me.

Basically I'm not sure what happens with the supplementary grant when I get it. On my Student Finance sheet, it says that I'll get a maintenance grant of 2835.00 (sorry, I can't do pound signs on this keyboard:p:). Under the Maintenance Loan section however, there's a row which says "Less Loan substituted for grant" which is 1260.00. Would I be right in saying that this 1260.00 will be deducted from the 2835.00 leaving me with 1575.00 plus the loan which I have left? I'm confused because on the student finance website it says that I'll be receiving the first installment of my loan on the 8th of october at 1110.45 and my first grant of 900 quid or something:s-smilie:

Yet again, any help would be greatly appreciated!:biggrin:

em no can you write out the whole letter please in the correct order as it appears thanks
Reply 11
jennyng2000
em no can you write out the whole letter please in the correct order as it appears thanks

Erm, I could scan and PM it to you...:smile:
Reply 12
Actually it looks like I can't attach that via PM, so I'll attach it here:smile:

EDIT: attachment removed.
Gooner
Actually it looks like I can't attach that via PM, so I'll attach it here:smile:

you get a loan of 3365 and a grant of 2835

what the letter is saying is that if you didnt get the grant you would get a larger loan of 3470, but part of this is being exchanged for a grant

so you pay back the 3365 but have 3365 + 2835 to live off, you also have to pay back the tuition fee of 3145, this will be added to the 3365 to be paid back when you earn over 15k

hope that helped and made sence
Reply 14
jennyng2000
you get a loan of 3365 and a grant of 2835

what the letter is saying is that if you didnt get the grant you would get a larger loan of 3470, but part of this is being exchanged for a grant

so you pay back the 3365 but have 3365 + 2835 to live off, you also have to pay back the tuition fee of 3145, this will be added to the 3365 to be paid back when you earn over 15k

hope that helped and made sence

It did indeed make sense:biggrin: Thanks a lot for that:hugs:
Reply 15
Can someone please tell me where details of maintenance grants can be found on the Student Finance Direct account. My account makes no reference to it and in the assessment summary the assessment type is 'not based on household income'.

HELP!

EDIT: Never mind - just got off phone and they've agreed to process the financial details again.
This thread has also become a lifesaver to me-thanks! :smile: Well okay, that is a little exaggeration but it really helped clearing things up
Reply 17
manc
Can someone please tell me where details of maintenance grants can be found on the Student Finance Direct account. My account makes no reference to it and in the assessment summary the assessment type is 'not based on household income'.

HELP!

EDIT: Never mind - just got off phone and they've agreed to process the financial details again.

Funny, I have this exact same problem and I'm also in Manchester... is your LEA Trafford? I've phoned them 3 times and I'm still waiting for them to phone me back after leaving my details, because the supplementary grant wasn't mentioned at all in my letter either.

I guess I should phone them yet again and ask for it to be re-assessed. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
arual
Funny, I have this exact same problem and I'm also in Manchester... is your LEA Trafford? I've phoned them 3 times and I'm still waiting for them to phone me back after leaving my details, because the supplementary grant wasn't mentioned at all in my letter either.

I guess I should phone them yet again and ask for it to be re-assessed. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's Trafford. Apparently they have a 2-3(mainly 3) week turnaround now.
Gooner

Jeez, I'm dim when it comes to money and banks. It took mum half an hour to explain how to write a cheque yesterday:o:

that's exactly what mine said- and i was v.confused too!.

we are in the same boat :smile:. slightly more understanding thanks to this thread!.

Latest

Trending

Trending