The Student Room Group

buffer ph question

so I thought that since pottasium hydroxide was neutralising the acid, equilibrium would shift to make more acid. so acid would increase by a certain amount and the salt would decrease by the same amount but I saw that this lie of thinking is wrong. I guessed the second part of the question and got it right but don't understand why it is right. attached below
Original post by dasda
so I thought that since pottasium hydroxide was neutralising the acid, equilibrium would shift to make more acid. so acid would increase by a certain amount and the salt would decrease by the same amount but I saw that this lie of thinking is wrong. I guessed the second part of the question and got it right but don't understand why it is right. attached below

Guess what?

Attachments do not show.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Guess what?

Attachments do not show.

Sheesh, I made this post at the same time as the other one
buffer ph question.pngbuffer 2.png
Original post by dasda
Sheesh, I made this post at the same time as the other one
buffer ph question.pngbuffer 2.png

"so I thought that since pottasium hydroxide was neutralising the acid, equilibrium would shift to make more acid. so acid would increase by a certain amount and the salt would decrease by the same amount but I saw that this lie of thinking is wrong. I guessed the second part of the question and got it right but don't understand why it is right. attached below"

But if the postassium hydroxide is reacting with the acid it makes more salt. How can it decrease?
Reply 4
Original post by charco
"so I thought that since pottasium hydroxide was neutralising the acid, equilibrium would shift to make more acid. so acid would increase by a certain amount and the salt would decrease by the same amount but I saw that this lie of thinking is wrong. I guessed the second part of the question and got it right but don't understand why it is right. attached below"

But if the postassium hydroxide is reacting with the acid it makes more salt. How can it decrease?

ahh so the salt RcooK would increase. why would this cause a decrease in acid then.
Original post by dasda
ahh so the salt RcooK would increase. why would this cause a decrease in acid then.

You have already said why, yourself!
Reply 6
Original post by charco

You have already said why, yourself!

Okay but I thought that if acid is neutralised, this would decrease the moles of acid. wouldn't equilibrium shift to make more acid.
Original post by dasda
Okay but I thought that if acid is neutralised, this would decrease the moles of acid. wouldn't equilibrium shift to make more acid.

Yes, but you need the acid dissociation equation to work that out:

ka = [H+][A-]/[HA]

and that's what bufffers are all about.
Reply 8
Original post by charco
Yes, but you need the acid dissociation equation to work that out:

ka = [H+][A-]/[HA]

and that's what bufffers are all about.

I think I'M lost.
Original post by dasda
I think I'M lost.

OK

Information given:

0.0136 mol KX dissolved in 100 cm3 of 0.5M HX (weak acid)
3 x 10-4 mol KOH added
ka = 1.41 x 10-5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 x 10-4 mol KOH reacts with 3 x 10-4 mol of HX to make 3 x 10-4 mol of KX

Final mol of HX = initial mol - reacted mol = 0.05 - 3 x 10-4 = 0.0497 mol
Final mol of KX (X-) = initial mol + reacted mol = 0.0136 + 3 x 10-4 = 0.0139 mol

ka = [H+][X-]/[HX]

although the equation shows concentrations all components are in the same volume, allowing us to use moles directly

[H+] = Ka[HX]/[X-] = 1.41 x 10-5 x 0.0139/0.0497 = 3.94 x 10-6

It's at the above step I'm not careful substituting the values and I put the HX moles and the KX moles in the wrong place! Doh!

So, I lose valuable marks in the exam.

[H+] = Ka[HX]/[X-] = 1.41 x 10-5 x 0.0497/0.0139 = 5.04 x 10-5

pH = 4.30
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by charco
OK

Information given:

3 x 10-4 mol KOH added
ka = 1.41 x 10-5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final mol of KX (X-) = initial mol + reacted mol = 0.0136 + 3 x 10-4 = 0.0139 mol

ka = [H+][X-]/[HX]

although the equation shows concentrations all components are in the same volume, allowing us to use moles directly

pH = 5.40 (2 d.p.)

what about the second part of the question.
Original post by dasda
what about the second part of the question.

I've already explained it.

"although the equation shows concentrations all components are in the same volume, allowing us to use moles directly"
Reply 12
Original post by charco
OK

Information given:

3 x 10-4 mol KOH added
ka = 1.41 x 10-5

ka = [H+][X-]/[HX]

pH = 5.40 (2 d.p.)

I think you calculated the Ph wrong.answer.jpg
Original post by dasda
I think you calculated the Ph wrong.answer.jpg

Dang me - I substituted the numbers in the wrong way round!

pH = 4.30
Original post by charco
Dang me - I substituted the numbers in the wrong way round!

pH = 4.30

Don't worry. No one else noticed.
Original post by Pigster
Don't worry. No one else noticed.

It's too late, I'll have to go to bed wearing the hair-shirt again.

My coco's suffering in 40ºC temperatures.
why do you have to add the moles of KOH to the moles of KX

Quick Reply

Latest