ryanalevel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,
In October, I will hopefully be applying to study Medicine at Cambridge University. The way the course is taught, the teaching methods, and the life at Cambridge just really interests me.

Specifically for Medicine (or non-specific), how would I go about researching which college is for me?

If I get an offer from Cambridge but got rejected from the actual college, am I able to go to another one? How do these things work?

Thank you,
Ryan
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ryanalevel)
Hello,
In October, I will hopefully be applying to study Medicine at Cambridge University. The way the course is taught, the teaching methods, and the life at Cambridge just really interests me.

Specifically for Medicine (or non-specific), how would I go about researching which college is for me?

If I get an offer from Cambridge but got rejected from the actual college, am I able to go to another one? How do these things work?

Thank you,
Ryan
Have a look through the university of cambridge forums, where this question has been asked and answer a hundred times already (I understand you're a new user, which is why I'm directing you there).

Briefly, the college choice doesn't really matter that much, so don't stress it - just pick one you like the look of. Alternatively, you can make an 'open' application where you make no initial college choice.

If the college you're interviewed at thinks you should be offered a place, but can't (or aren't willing) to offer you a place at their college, you will be 'pooled' - you can then be 'fished' out of this pool by another college and offered a place, or turned down once the fishing is complete. Again, have a look through the Cambridge forums to find out the info.
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So basically if they deem you good enough for Cambridge, but they've already filled their spots at their colleges, you get "pooled" where any other college can fill up spots from that pool.

When I chose a college (at Oxford) I just picked one that seemed nice on the open day. I didn't get in there, but I got into my secondary college (which I now realise is much nicer than the one I applied to.) You want to decide what is important to you (accommodation, social life, ect) and ask college reps. You can find those on JCR websites and things.
ryanalevel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Have a look through the university of cambridge forums, where this question has been asked and answer a hundred times already (I understand you're a new user, which is why I'm directing you there).

Briefly, the college choice doesn't really matter that much, so don't stress it - just pick one you like the look of. Alternatively, you can make an 'open' application where you make no initial college choice.

If the college you're interviewed at thinks you should be offered a place, but can't (or aren't willing) to offer you a place at their college, you will be 'pooled' - you can then be 'fished' out of this pool by another college and offered a place, or turned down once the fishing is complete. Again, have a look through the Cambridge forums to find out the info.
OK, lovely. Thank you for explaining it to me so clearly
ryanalevel
Rep:
?
(Original post by vicvic38)
So basically if they deem you good enough for Cambridge, but they've already filled their spots at their colleges, you get "pooled" where any other college can fill up spots from that pool.

When I chose a college (at Oxford) I just picked one that seemed nice on the open day. I didn't get in there, but I got into my secondary college (which I now realise is much nicer than the one I applied to.) You want to decide what is important to you (accommodation, social life, ect) and ask college reps. You can find those on JCR websites and things.
Fab! I'm glad you prefer your secondary college. Very well explained and I've got a better understanding of being "pooled" now. So thank you very much!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
OK, lovely. Thank you for explaining it to me so clearly
You're welcome
livelyrao
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I’m also thinking of which college to choose Which ones are you thinking of at the moment?
livelyrao
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also, I believe each colleges are (or were) doing virtual open days so it’s really worth checking their individual websites
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by livelyrao)
Also, I believe each colleges are (or were) doing virtual open days so it’s really worth checking their individual websites
ryanalevel Note that Peterhouse, Medwards and Christ's are doing a joint virtual open day here Well worth having a look at
ryanalevel
Rep:
?
(Original post by livelyrao)
Hey, I’m also thinking of which college to choose Which ones are you thinking of at the moment?
So far: Magdalene, Homerton, Jesus', and Fitzwilliam. I'm keeping my options open though.

I just need to make a competitive application first But I'm trying to look at the colleges that accept the most applicants per year. I think Homerton is only about 6 while others accept like 9 or 11 for my course. As I said though, I am definitely going to do more research and keep my options open!

Just to study at Cambridge would be a privilege in itself
ryanalevel
Rep:
?
ryanalevel Note that Peterhouse, Medwards and Christ's are doing a joint virtual open day here Well worth having a look at
Thank you again!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you again!
No problem!
But I'm trying to look at the colleges that accept the most applicants per year.
Just to note that both successful applicants and ATs warn candidates off doing this year after year. Trying to play a 'numbers game' at Cambridge is entirely futile. Don't apply to a college on the basis of their admissions' statistics; apply to one based on the fact that you like the look of it, and can see yourself having it has your base for 6+ years.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No problem!

Just to note that both successful applicants and ATs warn candidates off doing this year after year. Trying to play a 'numbers game' at Cambridge is entirely futile. Don't apply to a college on the basis of their admissions' statistics; apply to one based on the fact that you like the look of it, and can see yourself having it has your base for 6+ years.
Equally, if OP would like to apply to a College which has a larger intake because they want to be around to be around more Medicine students, that's fine But to reiterate, there's little to be gained by choosing a College based on their application : offer ratio
livelyrao
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much!
livelyrao
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So far: Magdalene, Homerton, Jesus', and Fitzwilliam. I'm keeping my options open though.

I just need to make a competitive application first But I'm trying to look at the colleges that accept the most applicants per year. I think Homerton is only about 6 while others accept like 9 or 11 for my course. As I said though, I am definitely going to do more research and keep my options open!

Just to study at Cambridge would be a privilege in itself
I'm sure you will make a competitive application because you being here and asking questions shows that you are willing to try your best TSR is a great place to get help from amazing individuals like @Reality Check and Cambridge's colleges.

Personally, I find the virtual open days really helpful. The colleges' websites are useful as well, but attending these webinars and hearing from the college academics really offers an insight into the colleges.
Last edited by livelyrao; 3 weeks ago
livelyrao
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
Hopefully the story highlight on choosing a cam college here will help: https://www.instagram.com/science.with.soph/

If you narrowly miss your college they will put you in the pool which means a different college may give you an offer instead
Thank you so much! I watched your recent yt video and it was really helpful! I really appreciate your help
Parliament
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But I'm trying to look at the colleges that accept the most applicants per year.
This is really silly unless your reason for doing it is that you want to be part of a large intake for your subject - look up how the Winter Pool works, there's virtually no point in trying to game the application stats in this way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (101)
37.97%
Take autumn exams (86)
32.33%
Look for a job (8)
3.01%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.38%
Take a year out (45)
16.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
6.39%

Watched Threads