16 is way too young to decide your entire career path.

Watch
variableSix
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In Britain, we're essentially deciding our entire career paths when we choose our A-level/BTEC options at the tender age of 16. While you can choose 'facilitating subjects,' a lot of the time choosing not to do one type of a-level will close entire careers from you, like Maths or Physics A-Level. What do you guys think about this system? Is it good or bad?
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by variableSix)
In Britain, we're essentially deciding our entire career paths when we choose our A-level/BTEC options at the tender age of 16. While you can choose 'facilitating subjects,' a lot of the time choosing not to do one type of a-level will close entire careers from you, like Maths or Physics A-Level. What do you guys think about this system? Is it good or bad?
Honestly, I think it's terrible and it sucks. The only bright side is that your uni degree doesn't really limit your career options since most jobs don't have any requirements.

Are you in sixth form - what A levels did you end up picking?
variableSix
Rep:
?
Bio Chem and Maths so my options are pretty wide apart from most engineering courses

(Original post by _Mia101)
Honestly, I think it's terrible and it sucks. The only bright side is that your uni degree doesn't really limit your career options since most jobs don't have any requirements.

Are you in sixth form - what A levels did you end up picking?
etienne26
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bad, I feel like they should give a chance to drop subjects. People change their mind easily at that age and are still unsure what to do, but then its too late, unless they retake the year. E.g. I didn't like Maths A level but couldn't drop any because I only had the option to pick 3 A levels.
firdouss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
right how do you expect me to choose what i wanna do
plus my school keep having these assembls whre people come in from different jobs
they think its making my life easier but its not
like one comes in and i am like i wanna do this
and like another one come i and i wanna do this
wth
idnore the spelling mistakes
Last edited by firdouss; 1 month ago
variableSix
Rep:
?
Yeah lately I've been considering engineering but since I don't have Physics/Further Maths I'm shut out from most engineering courses. I could do Chem Eng though?
Adiabatic
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree. I would prefer an alternative system where the subjects are be made slightly easier and you take 5 so you can get a better choice of university degree. I regret not being able to take Physics A level because I already had 4 A levels
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i could complain, but i don't have an alternative solution.

i don't mind the system :yep:
variableSix
Rep:
?
(Original post by yzanne)
i could complain, but i don't have an alternative solution.

i don't mind the system :yep:
That is true to be honest, our education process is a lot more streamlined than a lot of other countries like the US so we can't really complain too much lmao
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah lately I've been considering engineering but since I don't have Physics/Further Maths I'm shut out from most engineering courses. I could do Chem Eng though?
Some courses do require A level Physics but not all do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (165)
25%
Better than expected (133)
20.15%
Worse than expected (362)
54.85%

Watched Threads