DClinPsych
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
In your opinion, what degree subject offers the best career prospects?
What advice would you give to somebody who is torn between completely different subjects?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DClinPsych)
In your opinion, what degree subject offers the best career prospects?
What advice would you give to somebody who is torn between completely different subjects?
Most STEM subjects are very open into what you can go into career wise post uni.
Newish.Account
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Medicine and dentistry are a guaranteed job if you pass the exams, likewise for a few other vocational degrees I’m probably forgetting.

Lots of pissing contests over what degrees are more employable (STEM vs non-stem, RG vs not) but few have an intrinsic value, and plenty of grad schemes are open to all degrees.

A higher grade is always better. For some the uni you go to matters a great deal (banking, law) and some it doesn’t matter at all (civil service). Your work experience and interview skills also have an impact.
DClinPsych
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Most STEM subjects are very open into what you can go into career wise post uni.
(Original post by Newish.Account)
Medicine and dentistry are a guaranteed job if you pass the exams, likewise for a few other vocational degrees I’m probably forgetting.

Lots of pissing contests over what degrees are more employable (STEM vs non-stem, RG vs not) but few have an intrinsic value, and plenty of grad schemes are open to all degrees.

A higher grade is always better. For some the uni you go to matters a great deal (banking, law) and some it doesn’t matter at all (civil service). Your work experience and interview skills also have an impact.
there just seems to be so much competition nowadays that it feels almost impossible to get onto a course, particularly graduate entry. I honestly don’t know how people do it!
username1625799
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
best career prospects medicine as it guarantees a job after, after that probably STEM subjects, then non STEM subjects, although the university you go to also has a huge factor.
For example, someone doing politics at LSE has far better chances of employment than someone studying Chemistry at Nottingham
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
there just seems to be so much competition nowadays that it feels almost impossible to get onto a course, particularly graduate entry. I honestly don’t know how people do it!
Depends what course specifically you are on about but id say the most competitive uni's and a handful of courses really are difficult to get into, but in most courses (even well regarded ones) their is enough spots on a national scale.
DClinPsych
Rep:
?
(Original post by leobrave)
best career prospects medicine as it guarantees a job after, after that probably STEM subjects, then non STEM subjects, although the university you go to also has a huge factor.
For example, someone doing politics at LSE has far better chances of employment than someone studying Chemistry at Nottingham
Do you think the biased view of students who attend a prestigious university still holds true against a student from a lower rank university, even if the lower rank student has achieved more in terms of work experience/voluntary work?
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by leobrave)
that's quite a bold claim, citation needed
DClinPsych
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Depends what course specifically you are on about but id say the most competitive uni's and a handful of courses really are difficult to get into, but in most courses (even well regarded ones) their is enough spots on a national scale.
To give you an example:
An undergraduate student studying at the Open University (seems to be looked down on by many) achieves a 2:1 in let’s say biology or psychology, has years of work experience/voluntary work under their belt as well as a high UCAT score.
Realistically, do they have as good a chance as anyone at getting an interview for medicine?
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To give you an example:
An undergraduate student studying at the Open University (seems to be looked down on by many) achieves a 2:1 in let’s say biology or psychology, has years of work experience/voluntary work under their belt as well as a high UCAT score.
Realistically, do they have as good a chance as anyone at getting an interview for medicine?
yes, but you will need a higher ucat score for GEM (due to fewer places.) e.g. 2700+ for warwick.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To give you an example:
Ok but medicine is a very unique degree, and most courses (graduate or undergraduate) really dont compare to GEM. That is a uniquely competitive course and almost no one has good odds on a place, and given that going to the Open uni will make life much harder. im afraid in this situation it is just a case of the number of competent applicants far outweigh the places.
DClinPsych
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Ok but medicine is a very unique degree, and most courses (graduate or undergraduate) really dont compare to GEM. That is a uniquely competitive course and almost no one has good odds on a place, and given that going to the Open uni will make life much harder. im afraid in this situation it is just a case of the number of competent applicants far outweigh the places.
I often wonder what separates the competent applicants from the outstanding applicants aka the ones who actually get a place on the course or is it simply a case of luck?
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
I am curious, why will going to open uni make it harder to get into GEM?
DClinPsych
Rep:
?
(Original post by MalcolmX)
I was also wondering this!
DClinPsych
Rep:
?
yes, but you will need a higher ucat score for GEM (due to fewer places.) e.g. 2700+ for warwick.
How does one go about achieving such an impressive score? Practice, practice, practice?
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How does one go about achieving such an impressive score? Practice, practice, practice?
UCAT prep is not really my forte, but I imagine practice will help. People on the medicine board will know more.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think its just a case of its too many applicants per place and hence unis can make it a case of: prove your undergrad degree is good enough rather then prove that it isnt, and its an easy way to filter out applicants, its not fair but that's life unfortunately.
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
there's threads for the UCAT each year on TSR, here is the 2021 entry one https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post89741642
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Where you did your undergrad degree doesn't make a difference for graduate entry medicine.

GEM is incredibly competitive, but the competition is made at UCAT / GAMSAT, interviews, degree classification and/or A-Levels / GCSEs (if that med school requires it). It's not about where you degree was obtained.

One more thing: for OP DClinPsych the most employable degree is of course Medicine or Dentistry as @mnot said. Virtually all doctors I know gets bombarded with locum adverts telling them where there are vacancies.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
DClinPsych
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Where you did your undergrad degree doesn't make a difference for graduate entry medicine.

GEM is incredibly competitive, but the competition is made at UCAT / GAMSAT, interviews, degree classification and/or A-Levels / GCSEs (if that med school requires it). It's not about where you degree was obtained.

One more thing: for OP DClinPsych the most employable degree is of course Medicine or Dentistry as @mnot said. Virtually all doctors I know gets bombarded with locum adverts telling them where there are vacancies.
That is incredibly reassuring as I am seriously considering applying for medicine after spending time with doctors and patients but have been advised against it, although that hasn’t really discouraged me I was just seeking further clarification that it is possible even with an OU degree!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (67)
40.85%
Take autumn exams (55)
33.54%
Look for a job (4)
2.44%
Consider an apprenticeship (5)
3.05%
Take a year out (23)
14.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (10)
6.1%

Watched Threads