Should I do all sciences or drop physics?

Watch
Dancingqueen_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am going into year 11 in September and my school have given my whole year the chance to drop 1 science of their choice. I was going to keep doing all 3 sciences but I haven’t had a consistent Physics teacher since I started year 10, I have been taught Physics by supply teachers nearly every lesson. This really knocks my confidence as I don’t think I will pass when it comes to GCSE. But will I need this subject for the future? People say that a high grade in maths is the equivalent to a high grade in Physics, but who knows?? Please help! 🙂
pancakesbob7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Dancingqueen_)
I am going into year 11 in September and my school have given my whole year the chance to drop 1 science of their choice. I was going to keep doing all 3 sciences but I haven’t had a consistent Physics teacher since I started year 10, I have been taught Physics by supply teachers nearly every lesson. This really knocks my confidence as I don’t think I will pass when it comes to GCSE. But will I need this subject for the future? People say that a high grade in maths is the equivalent to a high grade in Physics, but who knows?? Please help! 🙂
Go for all sciences - freesciencelessons is the Youtube channel I swear by - I had an awful teacher for physics in Year 10, and an even worse teacher in year 11! However for GCSEs, freesciencelessons and many more youtubers and websites, etc (e.g.Primrose kitten) are great for learning all of the content - Yr 11 teacher just showed us freesciencelessons videos each lesson instead of teaching us and I got a 9! I'd also suggest using CGP practice workbooks and practice exam papers around Christmas time.

You may need physics GCSE in the future depending on what you want to do in the future. If you want to go into science/maths/academic routes I'd suggest taking all 3 sciences. What do you want to do when you're older?

Even though physics and maths are really quite similar, I'm sorry to say that there's probably a reason why they are seperate subjects although in A level maths there are a few topics involving physics-y stuff.

Just remember - the difference between each grade is dependent on how much effort you put in. Teachers are just there to guide you, not spoonfeed you (you'll learn this when you get to college/uni/apprenteships)! Good luck!
Dancingqueen_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by pancakesbob7)
Go for all sciences - freesciencelessons is the Youtube channel I swear by - I had an awful teacher for physics in Year 10, and an even worse teacher in year 11! However for GCSEs, freesciencelessons and many more youtubers and websites, etc (e.g.Primrose kitten) are great for learning all of the content - Yr 11 teacher just showed us freesciencelessons videos each lesson instead of teaching us and I got a 9! I'd also suggest using CGP practice workbooks and practice exam papers around Christmas time.

You may need physics GCSE in the future depending on what you want to do in the future. If you want to go into science/maths/academic routes I'd suggest taking all 3 sciences. What do you want to do when you're older?

Even though physics and maths are really quite similar, I'm sorry to say that there's probably a reason why they are seperate subjects although in A level maths there are a few topics involving physics-y stuff.

Just remember - the difference between each grade is dependent on how much effort you put in. Teachers are just there to guide you, not spoonfeed you (you'll learn this when you get to college/uni/apprenteships)! Good luck!
Thank you! This really helps 😊
pancakesbob7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Dancingqueen_)
Thank you! This really helps 😊
You're welcome if you have any other questions, feel free to pm me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (117)
28.33%
No - I have already returned home (55)
13.32%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (120)
29.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed