illegal to have 2 student accounts? Watch

mister
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i opened a student account with HSBC about 2 months ago, today i opened a student account with natwest
natwest didnt ask me whether i already had an account elsewhere, is it illegal to have 2 student accounts?
jennyng2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no one ank may close it when no loan comes in but its not illegal exactly
edit: depends on terms and conditions mind
Sports Racer
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Why would it be? A student account is just a current account with some bonuses to attract the younger customers.
Celifein
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Illegal, no. Against the T&Cs you agreed to when you opened it, maybe.
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
Not illegal. Perhaps against the terms and conditions of opening the account in the first place, as others have mentioned. Natwest for example won't renew your free railcard each year unless you're using the account as your primary student account, i.e. having your loans paid into it etc.
Steeps
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Illegal... lol can't wait to see the police busting down your door over a current account.

Check your T&C, which really you should have done when creating the account
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, as Celifein said, it is against the T&C of most student accounts and therefore illegal.
Steeps
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Yes, as Celifein said, it is against the T&C of most student accounts and therefore illegal.
Not illegal, just against the T&C. Worst they'll do is close an account, if in your T&C they say you can't have more than one.

Both of mine say my main source of income must go into that account. So one gets my wage, the other gets my loan payment. Both are happy.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Steeps)
Not illegal, just against the T&C. Worst they'll do is close an account.
Is it not a legal signed document?
FyreFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is it not a legal signed document?

That doesn't mean that breaking the contract is criminal.
pcok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well my bank manager advised me to get a few! I have two atm, and they are none the wiser. Basically they just want your student loan to go into them, but my bank manager said to just spilt my loan between the three banks, and they don't care where they money has come from, they just want decent amounts of money to be paid into the account several times a year.
Sparrow Hawk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you have to check the terms and conditions. I have a natwest account and i read the T and C, and i think it doesn't say specifically that you cant have another student account, but it does specify that th natwest account must be your main account, i.e. you need to put money in it regularly.
kamie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You may find that you just have to have regular incomings and outgoings - have your student loan paid in, and money regularly transferred into another account as your weekly or monthly budget. This other account may or may not be a student account.
Celifein
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's not what Celifein said. In fact, I'm pretty sure Celifein said that it isn't illegal.
Sparrow Hawk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Celifein)
That's not what Celifein said. In fact, I'm pretty sure Celifein said that it isn't illegal.
but if its against the T&C, then, it is kinda illegal, if you have 2 accounts and its against the T&C
loopylauren
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jennyng2000)
no one ank may close it when no loan comes in but its not illegal exactly
edit: depends on terms and conditions mind
Yeah I heard that banks will close your student account if the loan doesn't actually go into it but I've never used my student account (Natwest) and they've never done anything about it. I just use my normal current account.
jennyng2000
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by loopylauren)
Yeah I heard that banks will close your student account if the loan doesn't actually go into it but I've never used my student account (Natwest) and they've never done anything about it. I just use my normal current account.
is your normal current account also natwest?
loopylauren
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jennyng2000)
is your normal current account also natwest?
Nah it's Barclays. That's why I thought I might have a problem (from what I've been told by other people) but it's been a year and no problems so far.
jennyng2000
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by loopylauren)
Nah it's Barclays. That's why I thought I might have a problem (from what I've been told by other people) but it's been a year and no problems so far.
ah thanks i may go get a natwest account 2moz then cheers
Celifein
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sparrow Hawk)
but if its against the T&C, then, it is kinda illegal, if you have 2 accounts and its against the T&C
Whether it is or not, that's still not what Celifein said, which is what Celifein was pointing out. :p:

What do you mean by "kinda illegal"? I've never heard violating T&Cs referred to as illegal.

*wonders if the police will knock on her door if she spams TSR*
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (232)
45.05%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (154)
29.9%
I don't have an opinion (129)
25.05%

Watched Threads