The Student Room Group

My uni accidentally sent me my ‘degree classification’ even though I haven’t finished

Long story, but to cut it very short: I had a lot going on, so my uni allowed me to defer my final dissertation to August. However, they accidentally sent me an email saying that the board of examiners have met and based on my current grades, I can be awarded a 3rd class. (Without having to submit the dissertation). This shocked me because all of third year I have been getting mid to high 2:1.Second year was a mixed bag. I got 2:2’s on two fifteen credit modules, however, the other modules were all 2:1s. My final dissertation (which I have yet to submit) is worth 45 credits. I thought I was headed for a 2:1 but that email really worried me. Am I still headed for a 2:1 upon submission of the dissertation, do you think? It doesn’t really make sense and I’m really confused. It’s made me paranoid.
You need to contact your module coordinator.
Original post by Anonymous
Long story, but to cut it very short: I had a lot going on, so my uni allowed me to defer my final dissertation to August. However, they accidentally sent me an email saying that the board of examiners have met and based on my current grades, I can be awarded a 3rd class. (Without having to submit the dissertation). This shocked me because all of third year I have been getting mid to high 2:1.Second year was a mixed bag. I got 2:2’s on two fifteen credit modules, however, the other modules were all 2:1s. My final dissertation (which I have yet to submit) is worth 45 credits. I thought I was headed for a 2:1 but that email really worried me. Am I still headed for a 2:1 upon submission of the dissertation, do you think? It doesn’t really make sense and I’m really confused. It’s made me paranoid.

A mistake has been made here, so contact your programme lead and inform them of the information. They probably 'gave' you a third based on a zero mark for the dissertation you are yet to do.
Original post by Anonymous

The uni needs to be transparent in how it is calculating your grade so you should contact them to clarify with them. Without seeing your full list of marks for the years where the marks count and the weighting for year 2 and year 3 its hard to comment. If your second year marks were 2.2 for 30-credits and 2.1 for 90-credits then its hard to see how you ended up with anything other than a 2.1 for your second year. If your third-year grades are all 2.1 its hard to see how you can get anything other than a 2.1 overall - assuming you don't fluff up your dissertation. Speak to the uni, tell them you are feeling distressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending