deep_learning
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So, I'm a postgrad. Computer Science is my speciality. Trying to get into the industry is going to be hard. Is teaching in secondary schools worth it? Would pupils as young as 13-16 even want to learn or be interested?
parii_xd
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Computer science is very interesting. As a secondary school student, I'd be interested and would enjoy the lessons.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Teaching is worthwhile, but I'd be concerned if you see it as a last resort option. That you would not be in it for the best of motives, or that you would not stay in teaching very long.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MisterFortnite)
So, I'm a postgrad. Computer Science is my speciality. Trying to get into the industry is going to be hard. Is teaching in secondary schools worth it? Would pupils as young as 13-16 even want to learn or be interested?
I love teaching but would not encourage anyone who sees it as 'a last resort' to train.

You need to be passionate about your subject and supporting young people in their learning
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello MisterFortnite

In my experience, all young people do want to learn, and when presented with concepts in a way that they are able to access then they are interested. Teaching is an exciting and enjoyable profession, but is not an easy one. It demands passion and commitment from the teacher, as any apathy on a teachers part will result in boring lessons and a lack of interest in the learning!

If you'd like to explore your options of getting into teaching then register here.

All the best in whatever you choose to do!

Jane
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm not in teaching myself, so I'm speaking as an outsider, but I get the impression that you are looking at teaching primarily because you are assuming that jobs will be easier to get than in IT; I'm not sure that is the case, at least not in the short term.

I wanted to suggest the Teach First scheme, but I gather that a lot of its places have been put on ice recently. You would have to ask them how they have been affected by the pandemic and what this means for applicants in the next couple of years.

https://www.teachfirst.org.uk
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Don't think you should do it if it's only because you couldn't do anything that you actually wanted to do.
OptiWeight
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Why is it hard to get a job in Computer Science? I believe teaching will be annoying as no-one will be really be paying attention in lesson's and causing a distraction, you live in the Uk you know how hard is to teach because of those little *****!
deep_learning
Rep:
?
I think I didn't really explain myself properly, hence the misconception of what I meant originally. I've always loved the idea of me being a teacher and passing on knowledge. I just never thought I'd go for it. But now that times are changing and I'm getting closer to stepping into the real world. I'm considering it a lot more as a potential option. In fact, if I do choose it, my plan would be to also enrol on a Phd and aim to become a lecturer at a university level sometime in the future.

However, I'm just torn between the two options. Ideally, I would like to contribute towards the commercial industry aspect. On the other hand, I'm genuinely open to explore options within the academic aspect of a career.

Ultimately, I'm just asking for practical advise if I choose to go down the academic side of careers. What's it like? Would I have time to study a Phd while being a teacher? Will I have too much going on at one time? Is it practical?
xSkyFire
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You should do anything else but teach tbh, just improve your Github portfolio and apply for entry level jobs and grad schemes.

I don't even have a comp sci degree, yet I'm a software engineer for a large financial firm. It is about what you can do/show, not about a degree which doesn't demonstrate much outside of passing a mostly irrelevant exam.
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
why not become a software engineer?
moso2203
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't think you should do it just as a "try it out option" or as a last resort.

It's a demanding job and you should be willing and motivated to want to work with children, even when things might get tough, because you really are motivated to make a difference.
OptiWeight
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MalcolmX)
why not become a software engineer?
Isn't computer science and software engineering the same. Most Uni offer computer science and not software engineering as it is similar.
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by OptiWeight)
Isn't computer science and software engineering the same. Most Uni offer computer science and not software engineering as it is similar.
cs is the study of the mathematical properties of computation and the application of computation to solving problems.
swe is the engineering of computer software and the theory behind software engineering practices.

the difference between a cs and swe degree is not much besides the title. a cs degree will cover both cs and swe topics likewise a swe degree will cover both cs and swe topics.
deep_learning
Rep:
?
xSkyFire I didn't even know that was possible and overall didn't even look at it from that perspective. That makes sense.
MalcolmX That is my first and most ideal option as soon as I graduate after this September. I think I'm just assuming for the worst case scenario and preparing my options. I'm regularly applying for jobs in that specific domain. Fingers crossed I land one.
moso2203 That does put it into perspective. I think you're right about not choosing it as 'just a try it out option'. I guess instead of applying for 5 jobs a night as a software engineer, I'll apply for 10 instead to land something I'm actually hoping for instead of a back-up option such as teaching.
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
xSkyFire I didn't even know that was possible and overall didn't even look at it from that perspective. That makes sense.
MalcolmX That is my first and most ideal option as soon as I graduate after this September. I think I'm just assuming for the worst case scenario and preparing my options. I'm regularly applying for jobs in that specific domain. Fingers crossed I land one.
moso2203 That does put it into perspective. I think you're right about not choosing it as 'just a try it out option'. I guess instead of applying for 5 jobs a night as a software engineer, I'll apply for 10 instead to land something I'm actually hoping for instead of a back-up option such as teaching.
there are people who don't have any background in cs and they get into software engineering with nothing more than a 3 month coding bootcamp, you wll be fine.
deep_learning
Rep:
?
(Original post by MalcolmX)
there are people who don't have any background in cs and they get into software engineering with nothing more than a 3 month coding bootcamp, you wll be fine.
Nice. Thank you for reassuring me. Genuinely means a lot since the end of my degree is near and I've got nothing lined up. But I guess it's natural and everyone is probably in a similar position.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Kerzen)
I'm not in teaching myself,
Please don't recommend this scheme - it has failed a number of students.
OptiWeight
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There are software engineering roles available at GCHQ at this current moment.
deep_learning
Rep:
?
(Original post by OptiWeight)
There are software engineering roles available at GCHQ at this current moment.
Yes, I've already applied to multiple roles around the country haha. Thank you though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.28%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (310)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads