Judy Biju
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is the transition between nat 5 and higher big?
Valeriex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Different for every subject but in short yes, though it won't be too bad if you put in the work from the start. (eg, making flashcards everyday after school so you are ahead for revision)
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I found a bigger jump in English compared to science/maths/geography/modern languages
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Judy Biju)
Is the transition between nat 5 and higher big?
Hello!

Which Higher subjects are you taking?

You might find it's a bit of a jump but once you get in to your Highers you'll really get to experience subjects you (hopefully!) love in a more detailed way. I agree with Valeriex, it varies from subject to subject but organisation is key! Your Nat 5s are great for giving you a feel for a subject, and then you really get stuck in to things in more detail when it comes to your Highers. Start having a look now at some of the topics you'll be studying, and have a look on any school forums so you can prepare yourself for the return to school life!

Take care,

-Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Judy Biju
Rep:
?
Tysm for the reply!❤️
The subjects that I've chosen for higher are:
-biology
-chemistry
-mathematics
-English
Am still unsure on what i should pick as my 5th higher, between higher history or higher admin & it.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Tysm for the reply!❤️
The subjects that I've chosen for higher are:
-biology
-chemistry
-mathematics
-English
Am still unsure on what i should pick as my 5th higher, between higher history or higher admin & it.
That's great! You've already got a solid grounding for science subjects and always a good idea to aim for your Higher English and Maths as some courses will ask for these as a *must have*.

I left school quite a while ago, but I did do Higher History so can speak for the skills I found I gained there. Essay writing and critical analysis were definitely the big ones! The exams really make you think about what happened throughout history and why, and analyse this in some depth. I studied topics I found really interesting, including 1920s and 30s America and the Suffragettes, but every school has different focuses so maybe try and find out what your school looks at if you can? It was a LOT of writing I remember, but maybe choosing Higher History would give your brain a bit of a rest from being Science orientated to something more essay based, so that could be a plus.

I did Administration at Int 2 level, which gave me a good grounding for some useful IT skills and data analysis. I'm not too sure what the Higher curriculum would cover, but if you're good with Microsoft Office (especially Excel from what I can remember) and think you might pursue a course in Data Analysis/Computer Science/Statistics or something Science/Maths based I reckon the Administration course could be relevant. We also studied some work practices, so looking in to Health & Safety practices and HR laws. This might be very different now, though! So best speak to your teachers or someone you know who has experienced Higher Admin recently

Do you know what you want to do when you leave school, by any chance? If you don't.. don't worry at all! I didn't know what I wanted to do until my 6th year and I found the perfect course for me in the end so there's no rush for you to know that at the moment.

Would love to know what you end up picking for your last one! And please do get back in touch if you've anything else you'd like to talk about. More than happy to chat about subject choices or anything like that with you.

Best of luck,

-Caitlin
Judy Biju
Rep:
?
I would like to get into medicine and so my highers are super important. That's why am really taking my time to think of a sub. as the 5th that could really benefit me and the course. I think am going to have a little discussion with both the history and the admin teachers so i can see what's suited best for me. But ty once again for you time, for sharing your thoughts and what you know already.🙏 🙏I found it really helpful.❤️
Last edited by Judy Biju; 3 weeks ago
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would like to get into medicine and so my highers are super important. That's why am really taking my time to think of a sub. as the 5th that could really benefit me and the course. I think am going to have a little discussion with both the history and the admin teachers so i can see what's suited best for me. But ty once again for you time, for sharing your thoughts and what you know already.🙏 🙏I found it really helpful.❤️
No worries at all! Glad it helped. Take care and best of luck with your studies

-Caitlin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (78)
38.61%
Take autumn exams (67)
33.17%
Look for a job (6)
2.97%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.47%
Take a year out (31)
15.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise