Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

Many of us that have just finished GCSE's are going to be starting A levels very soon so I thought I'd make a thread where you can discuss how you're feeling and how you're preparing for this big transition.(although some may say AS to A2 is a bigger transition which I won't argue with)

I got my induction day letter today and was very puzzled to be told to bring traniers and trackie bottoms to do 'active team building':no:

For those that have had their induction day for 6 form or college tell us how it went!!

ReputationRep:
    We have to do some 'Key skills' lessons, which sound boring and pointless. Apparently they just include basic grammar, numerical lessons etc. What a waste of time it's going to be...

ReputationRep:
    oooooooooo

ReputationRep:
    14 days to go..

ReputationRep:
    7 das to go for my induction day and 13 for my actual first day of 6th form. Im more worried about induction day tbh. Im not a ****ing active person and I will die if sports is involved!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, induction day on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    We have to do some 'Key skills' lessons, which sound boring and pointless. Apparently they just include basic grammar, numerical lessons etc. What a waste of time it's going to be...
    Lol Key Skills. That was the bane of my existence during A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    3 days left for me...
    I'm so excited!

ReputationRep:
    if you do english (lan/lit/combined) you don't have to take the exam for key skills....personally didn't bother it's worth like 20 UCAS points or something no good for 'red brick' unis

ReputationRep:
    What subject are you guys taking and which are you most worried about?
    I'm more worried about Economics because I never studied it before and Spanish because, apparently, the gap from GCSE to AS Level is quite big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    What subject are you guys taking and which are you most worried about?
    I'm more worried about Economics because I never studied it before and Spanish because, apparently, the gap from GCSE to AS Level is quite big.
    Worried about Physics. I want to do it at uni so I really want good marks.

ReputationRep:
    i had my induction in june, was really good even though i'm the only new person in the sixth form and i don't know anyone that goes there. :p: we had a lesson in each of our subjects just saying what we need to buy and what we'll be doing and stuff. that was all we did really. we have the first day as some kind of second induction day i think.

i'm doing french, german, english lit and law. quite worried about all of them actually cos the gap between gcse and as is supposed to be really bad for languages and i didn't do too well in lit gcse.

oh i'm doing a gcse in spanish as well which i can't wait for

The Great Transition isn't as big a deal as you guys make it out to be. This is exactly what will happen:

Week 1: Distribution of text books, introductions to subjects and general confusion shall make most of this week a waste
    Week 2: Note-taking begins; 'hold on, most of this stuff is just a recap of GCSE!'
    Week 3: You're working at an AS-Level standard.

And before you get your hopes up about A2:
    Week 1: 'Alright! A2! Let's do this!' ... 'it- it's- it's just AS but a bit more complicated!'
    Week 2: 'Yep, it's just more of the same *sob*'
    Week 3: You're working at an A2-Level standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsi101)
    Hey guys.

Many of us that have just finished GCSE's are going to be starting A levels very soon so I thought I'd make a thread where you can discuss how you're feeling and how you're preparing for this big transition.
    Is it really a big transition, though? I mean the first AS Maths paper (C1) from last year begins with two questions that are just GCSE work:

http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Repo...e_20070521.pdf

I can only assume other subjects are the same.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, good luck PinPin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Is it really a big transition, though? I mean the first AS Maths paper (C1) from last year begins with two questions that are just GCSE work:

http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Repo...e_20070521.pdf

I can only assume other subjects are the same.

To some yes..and I'm not just basing it on exams alone.

ReputationRep:
    Enrolled today. Lots of people though 0.o

It was pretty cool but I was a bit nervous whilst there... Tried to change my Art to Biology as well

Start actually learning things on Friday, goodbye summer...

ReputationRep:
    My school must be the latest then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsi101)
    My school must be the latest then.
    Nah. Some schools are starting on 8th.

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna make a thread saying 'GTFO, this is our board now' but this thread'll serve the same purpose.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.