Danny_16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to be a fighter pilot when I’m older but I am struggling on which A-Levels I should take I have applied for sociology, PE, and level 3 diploma criminology, could anyone suggest good A-levels or some advise? thanks.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
take subjects you enjoy.

here's the raf requirements for becoming a pilot, do your research though- https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/r...ess%20criteria
AM.TSR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maths & Physics would be good choices.
AscendingWings
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Best advise I can say is do what you enjoy. There are no specific subjects you need at A-Level.
But, there is a but, if you want to go pilot, think about the what if... What if you don't get in on your first application? What if you are precluded from entry? You need a Plan B.

Do you want to go to university? Might be a good idea, depending on what you want to do. Thoughts then need to go to what subject would you take at uni? Set yourself up to not get into the RAF, because it does happen, some people just unfortunately can't make the cut. So if you set yourself up with an alternative path, if you get pilot, great, but if you don't you will have something to fall back on. That is really important.

You need to find something you enjoy, something you're passionate about and work as hard as you can to succeed with it. Being a fighter pilot isn't easy, there is a huge amount of competition so set yourself achievable goals to aid success and do your best to shine above the rest.
Last edited by AscendingWings; 1 month ago
Danny_16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AscendingWings)
Best advise I can say is do what you enjoy. There are no specific subjects you need at A-Level.
But, there is a but, if you want to go pilot, think about the what if... What if you don't get in on your first application? What if you are precluded from entry? You need a Plan B.

Do you want to go to university? Might be a good idea, depending on what you want to do. Thoughts then need to go to what subject would you take at uni? Set yourself up to not get into the RAF, because it does happen, some people just unfortunately can't make the cut. So if you set yourself up with an alternative path, if you get pilot, great, but if you don't you will have something to fall back on. That is really important.

You need to find something you enjoy, something you're passionate about and work as hard as you can to succeed with it. Being a fighter pilot isn't easy, there is a huge amount of competition so set yourself achievable goals to aid success and do your best to shine above the rest.
yes if I don’t get to become a pilot i have already got a path that I want to fall back onto which is joining the Royal Marines so hopefully will be able to make the cut for one of them
AscendingWings
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Danny_16)
yes if I don’t get to become a pilot i have already got a path that I want to fall back onto which is joining the Royal Marines so hopefully will be able to make the cut for one of them
That’s good you’ve considered that, I would say though a plan outside of the military may be of benefit. Making the cut isn’t just personality, fitness, strengths and development points, there are many hoops to hop through in the application process. Although, I have suggested a non military plan, don’t take this as do what I say it’s just a personal suggestion, still push and apply yourself for these truly rewarding military careers. It’ll be a fantastic experience that you’ll take many amazing memories from.

I’m not a doctor, I’m also not commenting on your health but I’m speaking from what I’ve heard and seen. The medical is something where I’ve found many people get caught up with. Now, you can appeal if your medical deems you unfit, many say come back later but if you’re unfortunately one who has something that precludes entry you may be a little stuck without a plan for a non military career. You should not assume and you should speak to a military doctor during the application process, you are probably not qualified to speak on your own behalf to say whether you’re fit or unfit.

I can assume the medical for the RAF is different to the Marines and different things will be considered down each path however things also happen... I had a friend who was in an accident during training and he was medically discharged. Despite him being able to heal and recover, his injuries were something that would preclude him for life. He found his feet as he had eduction to fall back on and he had a second plan.
Hearing news like this can be a shock, it’s important you prepare for the worst but plan for the best possible outcome.

Best of luck with the A-Levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (162)
24.77%
Better than expected (132)
20.18%
Worse than expected (360)
55.05%

Watched Threads