The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
Hey all.

I was wondering if it’s possible to buy a car to do the practical test in please?

Thank you very much.

You can use your instructor's car. They charge pretty high though- like £90. If you want to use a car from someone who has allowed you to use it for the test (like family friends, friends and etc), you have to make sure that car is eligible for the test- there's things you have to check (all on Google).
Original post by Exdoz
You can use your instructor's car. They charge pretty high though- like £90. If you want to use a car from someone who has allowed you to use it for the test (like family friends, friends and etc), you have to make sure that car is eligible for the test- there's things you have to check (all on Google).

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve just checked, and it’s too much hassle with ones own car just for a test. Might as well fork out and then buy a car afterwards.

Thank you. 😊
Reply 3
Hey all.

I was wondering if it’s possible to buy a car to do the practical test in please?

Thank you very much.

Yes, why not? You can use any car for your test as long as you're insured to drive it!
Original post by IWMTom
Yes, why not? You can use any car for your test as long as you're insured to drive it!

It’s too much hassle for one day. Might as well buy the car after I pass.

Thank you though. 😊
Reply 5
It’s too much hassle for one day. Might as well buy the car after I pass.

Thank you though. 😊

You could always use a relatives car if you want to save money and avoid paying to rent an instructors car.
Original post by IWMTom
You could always use a relatives car if you want to save money and avoid paying to rent an instructors car.

They’re not having it as i speed a lot. 😩 I mean I’ve calmed down significantly but it’s fine, I’ll use my instructors car.
Reply 7
They’re not having it as i speed a lot. 😩 I mean I’ve calmed down significantly but it’s fine, I’ll use my instructors car.

Good luck for the test :smile: Let us know how it went.
Original post by Exdoz
Good luck for the test :smile: Let us know how it went.

Thank you. I will do. My instructor was telling me today that it’s true that many people don’t pass first time because the money will stop pouring in. 😭😓
Reply 9
Thank you. I will do. My instructor was telling me today that it’s true that many people don’t pass first time because the money will stop pouring in. 😭😓

Yes unfortunately that is the case. Just make sure you abuse mirror checks, stop at junctions even if you see the whole road is clear (if you don't then at the end they will say "What if a car came from your right"), practice references for parking and other than that, you should be fine I think. When I did my test a couple months ago, I knew I had very few minors and so got excited as we came back to the test centre. But as he hadn't checked my parking the whole ride, he made me do it at the test centre (a majority of instructors do this to save time)- I nearly failed as I didn't check my mirrors properly whilst reversing. So what I'm saying is don't get too excited thinking you've passed because you can fail at any one second. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Exdoz
Yes unfortunately that is the case. Just make sure you abuse mirror checks, stop at junctions even if you see the whole road is clear (if you don't then at the end they will say "What if a car came from your right"), practice references for parking and other than that, you should be fine I think. When I did my test a couple months ago, I knew I had very few minors and so got excited as we came back to the test centre. But as he hadn't checked my parking the whole ride, he made me do it at the test centre (a majority of instructors do this to save time)- I nearly failed as I didn't check my mirrors properly whilst reversing. So what I'm saying is don't get too excited thinking you've passed because you can fail at any one second. Hope that helps :smile:

Just want to expand on this advice as it is terrible.

Yes check your mirrors but only this really only needs to be when you are approaching an obstacle such as a junction or driving round parked cars, changing lanes and stopping at the side of the road. Coming to a stop at an open junction that is clear is a driver fault, a “minor”, for undue hesitation, of which you can normally do 2 or 3 times before it escalates into a habitual serious fault, so following this advice would almost certainly result in a driving test fail. DE’s have to do all 4 manoeuvres equally and they are tracked on the iPads used for testing so no we don’t do a majority of them at the end of the test. The only way there would be a “what if” would be if you were to commit a serious fault by making no observations, then we would say for instance “you emerged from the junction at speed with no observations. There was no car coming from the right but you did not know that.

Hope this helps

The DE
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by TheDE
Just want to expand on this advice as it is terrible.

Yes check your mirrors but only this really only needs to be when you are approaching an obstacle such as a junction or driving round parked cars, changing lanes and stopping at the side of the road. Coming to a stop at an open junction that is clear is a driver fault, a “minor”, for undue hesitation, of which you can normally do 2 or 3 times before it escalates into a habitual serious fault, so following this advice would almost certainly result in a driving test fail. DE’s have to do all 4 manoeuvres equally and they are tracked on the iPads used for testing so no we don’t do a majority of them at the end of the test. The only way there would be a “what if” would be if you were to commit a serious fault by making no observations, then we would say for instance “you emerged from the junction at speed with no observations. There was no car coming from the right but you did not know that.

Hope this helps

The DE

No, you're the one giving inaccurate advice. Be careful giving advice to people who need it, especially if what you say is incorrect. Stopping at a junction, on a clear road, and still doing proper mirror checks is NOT a minor for undue hesitation; instead, you get these on roundabouts- so if you do this on a roundabout, it is a minor. In my test centre they did the majority of the parking at the END of the test, the test centre. No the DE's can say "what if" in whatever scenario they feel is best; you don't only say it when you commit a serious fault.
TheDE is correct. You only stop at junctions that have a Stop sign.
At Give Way junctions you do proper observations, and depending on what you see, you either stop or proceed at a suitable speed such that everything is under control.
If it's clear for you to proceed at a Give Way junction and you've properly observed that it's clear to proceed, it would be a driving fault if you stopped. Especially if there was a vehicle behind you.

In answer to the "what if a car came from your right?" question: if a car was coming from your right, you'd have seen it and you'd have stopped and waited for a safe gap before proceeding. In the event that you proceeded you did so because no car was coming from the right and there was no chance that a car was coming from the right because you did proper observations.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Exdoz
No, you're the one giving inaccurate advice. Be careful giving advice to people who need it, especially if what you say is incorrect. Stopping at a junction, on a clear road, and still doing proper mirror checks is NOT a minor for undue hesitation; instead, you get these on roundabouts- so if you do this on a roundabout, it is a minor. In my test centre they did the majority of the parking at the END of the test, the test centre. No the DE's can say "what if" in whatever scenario they feel is best; you don't only say it when you commit a serious fault.

I am a Driving Examiner and you are wrong. It is a minor for undue hesitation if the junction is open and clear. Checking mirrors has nothing to do with undue hesitation at junctions, it only applies to signalling, ie you would check your mirrors to signal left if there was a car behind you. If you do check mirrors then decide to stop when the junction is clear it is undue hesitation. DE”s that do all their manoeuvres at the end get put on special measures. Undue hesitation certainty does not only apply at roundabouts.

And Dunning Kruger is correct completely although you’d be surprised how many people look right, see the car and still proceed to emerge from a junction... We can’t make up faults as one could easily just say what if someone was using a crossing when it was clearly empty or what if a traffic light was red when it was clearly green. Again the only exception is if someone makes no observations at a junction or if they move off from the side of a road with no observations, reverse into a parking space etc, then we would say you simply didn’t know if it was safe.

Maybe you should look at this before replying as we all have to adhere to this.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-for-driving-examiners-carrying-out-driving-tests-dt1/01-the-practical-driving-test-and-extended-test-for-cars

Specifically
14.Use of mirror(s):
Failure to make effective use of the mirrors well before:
signalling
changing direction
changing speed

20.Progress:
appropriate speed: driving too slowly for road and traffic conditions.
undue hesitation: being over cautious by stopping or waiting when it is safe and normal to proceed.

The DE
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by TheDE
I am a Driving Examiner and you are wrong. It is a minor for undue hesitation if the junction is open and clear. Checking mirrors has nothing to do with undue hesitation at junctions, it only applies to signalling, ie you would check your mirrors to signal left if there was a car behind you. If you do check mirrors then decide to stop when the junction is clear it is undue hesitation. DE”s that do all their manoeuvres at the end get put on special measures. Undue hesitation certainty does not only apply at roundabouts.

And Dunning Kruger is correct completely although you’d be surprised how many people look right, see the car and still proceed to emerge from a junction... We can’t make up faults as one could easily just say what if someone was using a crossing when it was clearly empty or what if a traffic light was red when it was clearly green. Again the only exception is if someone makes no observations at a junction or if they move off from the side of a road with no observations, reverse into a parking space etc, then we would say you simply didn’t know if it was safe.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-for-driving-examiners-carrying-out-driving-tests-dt1/01-the-practical-driving-test-and-extended-test-for-cars

Specifically
14.Use of mirror(s):
signalling
changing direction
changing speed

20.Progress:
undue hesitation: being over cautious by stopping or waiting when it is safe and normal to proceed.

The DE

Great to see an actual driving examiner on the forum! Thanks for your contributions.
Original post by IWMTom
Great to see an actual driving examiner on the forum! Thanks for your contributions.

Ditto.

Although nice to see the internet do its work and have someone try and correct an expert in their field almost immediately *rolls eyes*
Reply 16
Original post by Admit-One
Ditto.

Although nice to see the internet do its work and have someone try and correct an expert in their field almost immediately *rolls eyes*

"I've done two driving tests so I must know better than an actual driving examiner!!!!!!!!1!1!!!!!1!!!!!one!!!!11!1!1!1!"
Reply 17
Original post by TheDE

Specifically
14.Use of mirror(s):
signalling
changing direction
changing speed

20.Progress:

The DE

Not what my instructor told me. I even asked him and double checked but she still said there is no minor for undue hesitation at a junction. Well actually as you approach a junction and you looked right and left and saw no cars were there but you still kept looking, yes that's a minor. But in terms of stopping, looking left and right (even if there's a clear road) and then going onto the road, that's not a minor. Yeah undue hesitation does not only apply to roundabouts but again, I gave it as an example.

I can only advise people on what I've learnt from my driving instructor. And with me passing 1st time with only 2 minors, I can trust everything she said is true. In my test I came across many open junctions with the roads clear; I did my looking left and right, saw no cars, then went onto the road. And I didn't receive any minors for any of those junctions. The minors I got was: not being able to answer the 'show me' question, and touching the kerb when parking. So if she was somehow incorrect, I don't know why the DE didn't give me minors for those junctions. She must have been correct.
Reply 18
Original post by Admit-One
Ditto.

No that wasn't the case. What I learnt from my driving instructor (which I double checked everything she said), I advised it here to the OP. Read the reply above... I would have failed if what she said was incorrect.
Reply 19
Original post by IWMTom
"I've done two driving tests so I must know better than an actual driving examiner!!!!!!!!1!1!!!!!1!!!!!one!!!!11!1!1!1!"

One actually. Would have been two if my driving instructor was incorrect. And even if I did only two tests, it doesn't mean I can't know better than an actual DE. Not to throw shade but, learning the job of a DE is not hard; it's not like they're doctors and so I can't just go to a GP consultation and then think I know more than the GP. So as I did my theory and practical pretty good, watched many many videos on mock tests online (and so I know what the DEs are looking for and are not), I can confidently say I can easily apply to be a DE. Wouldn't be the same case with a doctor.

Latest