Stuck in a difficult situation! Watch

swfc-dan
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi guys

Firstly I am new to this site and so I hope I am posting this is the correct place, following board regulations etc.

I am student just finished my 2nd year studying Biology (human biology more precisely). I have been struggling with the course for a while now partly due to the academic difficulty, and partly because I am not enjoying what I study.

Over the past year I have had a change of heart regarding careers and what I want to do now. I went to uni straight from school after getting my A-Levels, and now realise that was a mistake as I wasn't ready as a person and also didn't think hard enough about what field of work I wanted to work it. I just went with Biology at the time I think because I had enjoyed it at school (and was ok at it), and didn't know of anything else to do then (and my friends/ were all for going to uni).

Having not enjoyed the academic side (the student life great!) of last year (my 2nd year) in particular, and only now have really decided I don't want to carry it on, I now find myself in the following situation. Firstly I've got 2 exam resits coming up in at the end of this month and start of Sept (didnt suprise me at all).

However the main problem is this. I have also arranged to do a years placement working in a lab, starting this year (basically once ive finished my retakes). My course was a 4 yr sandwich course with a years placement in the 3rd year, where at the time it seemed a useful idea to get experience. Now i've agreed to working there and have even recieved a contract from my employers, so am stumped because I now realise I don't actually want to work there!

My placement isn't even in an area of biology which I particularly enjoy or am at all competent at, the only reason why I ended up with this placement was because of lack of other biology placements which interested me, and because I wanted to stay at home for this year mainly for financial reasons. What makes it worse it that this placement is also a research placement (which I didn't even fully realise until my interview!), so will involve advanced knowledge of the area which I know I don't have!

Now I feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place. Mainly because I've agreed and basically sorted everything to work in this placement, and so don't think I can now refuse to work for them. I am certain in my mind now though that I don't want to work in science, and would be interested in looking into work in animal care or even refereeing (less academic jobs).

The one small positive though is that theres meant to be a review every 3/6 months, so if I don't enjoy it and stuggle with the work it could be terminated then. Would it be worth mentioning it to my employer that I am not actually interested in the post anymore, and that I wish to persue a different career? Or is that a big no no at this stage meaning I've got no way out of it at least until the review stage comes along (or unless I really struggle at it)?

Also I still can't quite figure out what happens if I fail my resits (will be the 2nd time of taking them). I know im not going to pass them and don't have the motivation to study something I don't enjoy, so will I be thrown out of uni as soon as its confirmed that i've failed them, and if so any ideas how my placement situation will be affected (it was a placement I found, but im pretty sure it requires at least undergraduate level to commence working on the particular post).

Any advice would be much appreciated.
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get a grip of yourself and slog it out. You sound like a ditherer so there is a fair chance you'll change your mind when you get in to the job anyway.

You've already used up two years of LEA funding, so if you give up now you'll not be getting any degree at all unless you can pay for it yourself.

You don't seem to have any other well thought out alternative plans.

Any work in animal care that pays more than peanuts will want you to have some sort of biology/zoology degree, so you are already halfway to the right place for that.

And yes, this is a rather blunt reply, but maybe in taking offence at it, you'll think more clearly about what you want and what is sensible to do - not necessarily the same thing
Eidolon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You are half way through, keep going. If you stop now you will kick yourself in a few years for wasting what you almost had. Try out the lab placement, I did one this summer which I was convinced was going to be awful and I absolutely loved it. You may discover a talent or interest that you didn't know you had and if it all goes horribly wrong at least you can look back knowing that you tried.
josepharthur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would drop out and work for a year. Save money up to finance another degree. It will only be 6000 sterling.
In that year you may decide what you really want to do!
Eidolon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Where did that figure come from?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed