The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
You seem to believe that being drenched is not a problem, so by all means allow me to assist you.

Accidents happen I have been splashed by cars before I didn't cry about it as I know it was non deliberate like the op and it is water ffs.

There is a huge difference between what the op has done than what you propose deliberately throwing water at somebody which has a lot more intent and makes you a criminal?
Reply 81
Original post by Joshkav
I would have slowed down for one, if the OP had to brake harshly in order to slow down enough, they clearly weren't paying attention to the road and their surroundings. A slow gradual brake, would of meant the pedestrian didn't get splashed and that there was no risk of an accident with the vehicle behind them.

The voice of reason!
Original post by iodo345
Accidents happen I have been splashed by cars before I didn't cry about it as I know it was non deliberate like the op and it is water ffs.

There is a huge difference between what the op has done than what you propose deliberately throwing water at somebody which has a lot more intent and makes you a criminal?

Oh yeah, just disgusting muddy water that gets splashed on you when you're on your way to work and have a meeting first thing. It's just water eh x
Reply 83
Original post by iodo345

Both result in the same outcome, do they not? If you wouldn't like me to throw water at you, might I propose that the pedestrian wouldn't have liked water being kicked up at them?
Reply 84
Original post by Fermion.
Oh yeah, just disgusting muddy water that gets splashed on you when you're on your way to work and have a meeting first thing. It's just water eh x

PRSOM!!
Original post by IWMTom
I'll keep a special eye out for you next time it's raining! :smile:

The principle is the same. Safe driving requires constant monitoring and reacting accordingly. You would know this if you had a driving licence.

As Ive said, we are not OP we dont know the exact scenario whether they were in a rush or what the conditions were like. Its all dependant on the scenario, whether there was a car tail gating, or foggy etc we just don't know lol, rather than being pessimistic, just trying to keep an open mind. Plus I've got my licence seeing as your quite obsessed with that so I do know the laws :smile:, never have I said he didn't commit a crime lol.
Reply 86
Original post by bingbong9214
As Ive said, we are not OP we dont know the exact scenario whether they were in a rush or what the conditions were like. Its all dependant on the scenario, whether there was a car tail gating, or foggy etc we just don't know lol, rather than being pessimistic, just trying to keep an open mind. Plus I've got my licence seeing as your quite obsessed with that so I do know the laws :smile:, never have I said he didn't commit a crime lol.

We can make enough reasonable assumptions to identify probable carelessness.

If you truly have passed your driving test then I worry for your monitoring ability....
Original post by IWMTom
We can make enough reasonable assumptions to identify probable carelessness.

If you truly have passed your driving test then I worry for your monitoring ability....

And I can say the same for you too :smile: I pray that there won't be other cars near you when you make these drastic breakings during the rain :/
Reply 88
And I can say the same for you too :smile: I pray that there won't be other cars near you when you make these drastic breakings during the rain :/

Sigh.. you really haven't grasped the concept of gradual braking in advance of a hazard, have you?

:facepalm:
Original post by IWMTom
Both result in the same outcome, do they not? If you wouldn't like me to throw water at you, might I propose that the pedestrian wouldn't have liked water being kicked up at them?

Throwing water at someone = deliberate. This is more comparable to the op splashing the driver on purpose and has intent to harm. This didn't happen and is a poor comparison.

If you accidentally dropped water on me I wouldn't be happy but could understand these things happen and can move on - this is more comparable to the op.
Reply 90
Original post by iodo345
Throwing water at someone = deliberate. This is more comparable to the op splashing the driver on purpose and has intent to harm. This didn't happen and is a poor comparison.

If you accidentally dropped water on me I wouldn't be happy but could understand these things happen and can move on - this is more comparable to the op.

I'm not drawing comparisons on culpability, I'm merely questioning whether you would appreciate being drenched whilst say.. walking to work or to an interview, hell, even just walking to the shops...

Something as simple as a splash could have a massive detrimental impact on someone's daily life.. granted it could also have minimal impact, but without knowing we must assume the worst.

A good human being would have stopped to check on the person who was splashed. If they weren't bothered by it, happy days, move on. If they were, it would have given the OP the opportunity to assist the person to make amends for their wrongdoing.

Do you disagree?
Reply 91
It was a 40 road and I was near enough the limit (not quite the limit due to the rainy conditions). I agree I should have slowed down in advance but can't see how I could have got out the car to check on her when on a busy road.
Original post by Dinosaur27
It was a 40 road and I was near enough the limit (not quite the limit due to the rainy conditions). I agree I should have slowed down in advance but can't see how I could have got out the car to check on her when on a busy road.

How were the conditions was it foggy, difficult to see and when was the lady visible and could you have reacted in time to slowly brake?
Reply 93

Would you be comfortable with sharing a Google Streetview link for the road in question? It would be useful for everyone to see the type of road this was.

I appreciate you may not wish to do this out of privacy.
Reply 94
How were the conditions was it foggy, difficult to see and when was the lady visible and could you have reacted in time to slowly brake?

Visibility wasn't great due to the rain but she did seem to move closer to the kerb as I approached her, maybe why the cars in front didn't splash her.
Visibility wasn't great due to the rain but she did seem to move closer to the kerb as I approached her, maybe why the cars in front didn't splash her.

Ah right, so it doesnt seem to be your fault. But, honestly would you say that you would not have been able to gradually slow down in time to prevent the splash without causing any other collisions?
Reply 96
Original post by IWMTom
Would you be comfortable with sharing a Google Streetview link for the road in question? It would be useful for everyone to see the type of road this was.

I appreciate you may not wish to do this out of privacy.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/05/34/29/5342980_44472d2a.jpg

Hopefully the link works, this is the road in question (doesn't give away where it is so should be ok for security)
Reply 97
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/05/34/29/5342980_44472d2a.jpg

Hopefully the link works, this is the road in question (doesn't give away where it is so should be ok for security)

Thanks for providing that. Is this the specific section of road where the puddle was?
Reply 98
Ah right, so it doesnt seem to be your fault. But, honestly would you say that you would not have been able to gradually slow down in time to prevent the splash without causing any other collisions?

As I say, I wish I had slowed down. But I think she might have been about to cross the road as she was getting closed to the kerb. Even if I had slowed she'd have still been splashed. Surely it was a lack of sense on her part for being so close to the kerb.
Reply 99
Original post by IWMTom
Thanks for providing that. Is this the specific section of road where the puddle was?

A bit further up towards the traffic lights you can just see in the distance. It was when I stopped at the traffic lights I noticed she had her phone out.

Latest

Trending

Trending