Will a uni with higher grade requirements be more challenging

Watch
miriamm834935467
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm worried that if I go to a Russel group uni e.g. Sheffield compared to a non Russel group e.g. Aston i'll find it too hard and will therefore end up with a lower honour which could limit my choices to do a masters :/
Mustafa0605
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It is most likely going to be more challenging but that means you can graduate with a more valuable degree. Remember there are many people that graduate with degrees that struggle to find a decent job.
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think you need to find a lot more confidence in yourself. If Sheffield admitted you, you're good enough. The point of uni is to push yourself and develop, not coast. If you put in the effort at Sheffield, you'll be rewarded with the grade you want.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Higher entry requirements don’t equate to the course being any more challenging, it’s more a measure of how many applications they get per place.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by miriamm834935467)
I'm worried that if I go to a Russel group uni e.g. Sheffield compared to a non Russel group e.g. Aston i'll find it too hard and will therefore end up with a lower honour which could limit my choices to do a masters :/
A uni wouldn’t admit a student whom they didn’t think had the potential to do well.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by miriamm834935467)
There are different types of unis - Ancients, Red Brick, Plate Glass and Others. You are going to pay the same fees so go to the best uni you can get into.

Russell group unis get nearly 70% of the available research grants so they have the most up to date equipment. Not an issue if you are doing a social science subject like say History but if you are going to study engineering or a science subject then it will make a difference. The best unis have the best equipment because they secure most of the research grants.

Also, employers target the top 30 unis. A company like Microsoft or Facebook will not send its recruitment team to all 121 unis. They are very selective so only pick the top unis.

You also have to look at the unis and what student life you are seeking. A campus uni like Loughborough or Warwick is a very different experience from going to a uni integrated into the city like Manchester or Sheffield.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads