starting uni at 21? am I too old?

Watch
MiracleLeaf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hey so I'm turning 21 at the very end of august and I'm starting uni in september ! I took a gap year then started uni but I'm not happy at my current uni so I'm transferring into first year at exeter

I'm really worried that I'm going be one of the oldest there, especially living in halls ! I want to fit in but I'm worried that the difference between 18 and 21 is too much for me to have a good time in halls !
MiracleLeaf
Rep:
?
bumpp
Dee-Emma
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MiracleLeaf)
hey so I'm turning 21 at the very end of august and I'm starting uni in september ! I took a gap year then started uni but I'm not happy at my current uni so I'm transferring into first year at exeter

I'm really worried that I'm going be one of the oldest there, especially living in halls ! I want to fit in but I'm worried that the difference between 18 and 21 is too much for me to have a good time in halls !
Seriously? Doubt anyone will notice. Much greater age ranges in uni, including halls.
MiracleLeaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dee-Emma)
Seriously? Doubt anyone will notice. Much greater age ranges in uni, including halls.
yeah seriously haha, am I overthinking this? It's actually stressing me out lmao
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Seriously don’t worry about it! I know lots of people who started uni at 21 and loads who started at 25 and later! You’re definitely not too old
MiracleLeaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by pepsimaxcherry)
Seriously don’t worry about it! I know lots of people who started uni at 21 and loads who started at 25 and later! You’re definitely not too old
but do 21 year old stick out at all? like are they treated any differently because of their age?
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
but do 21 year old stick out at all? like are they treated any differently because of their age?
From the 21 year olds that I know who have gone, they said they didn’t feel any different. Maybe treated as slightly more responsible on nights out etc but they don’t stand out
miss.eleanora
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I started a new degree at 21 after transferring, noone knew i was older until we discussed our birth years etc. I wouldn't be too fussed unless you look like a pensioner haha
AM.TSR
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah seriously haha, am I overthinking this?
Yeah mate, no need to worry. Honestly, it's really not that big of a deal.
FingersXedAgain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Im starting until again this year at the grand of age of 36. Don’t worry.
Dee-Emma
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah seriously haha, am I overthinking this? It's actually stressing me out lmao
Overthinking. Even among younger students many will have had multiple gap years, change of degree/uni, foundation courses etc. At the same time, people of any decade of age may well return to education and some will chose halls.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
nope you won't be the oldest! On my undergrad and also on my housemates I was living with in first year. Well for my course, most people had taken a gap tbh! With my housemates they were 1-2 years older than me so same for them! My friend on my course was 24 when she started
MiracleLeaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
nope you won't be the oldest! On my undergrad and also on my housemates I was living with in first year. Well for my course, most people had taken a gap tbh! With my housemates they were 1-2 years older than me so same for them! My friend on my course was 24 when she started
oh amazing !! did they seem any different to you? like was it awkward or anything lol
Xzur
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I personally started at 21 at Exeter! Don’t even worry about it, no one will judge you at all. Keep your chin up and enjoy your time!
MiracleLeaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xzur)
I personally started at 21 at Exeter! Don’t even worry about it, no one will judge you at all. Keep your chin up and enjoy your time!
great ! were you in halls?
emmathereader
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A friend of mine went back to uni at 27. It seems daunting beforehand, but he fit straight in and did really well. Everyone will have a different experience, but not being 18 when you start doesn't mean you're 'too old' or that you won't fit in.
ThiagoBrigido
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FingersXedAgain)
Im starting until again this year at the grand of age of 36. Don’t worry.
I'm starting my second degree at the age of 37 and really don't think there is any issue on doing so.
FingersXedAgain
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ThiagoBrigido)
I'm starting my second degree at the age of 37 and really don't think there is any issue on doing so.
Good luck. What are you going to study?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
oh amazing !! did they seem any different to you? like was it awkward or anything lol
nope! The girl who was 24 at the time and a girl who was 2 years older, so 20-we all decided to live together for 2nd and 3rd year and we're still best friends years later I would say though that the oldest person who was 25 wasn't nice at all, she was really stuck up and would seem exasperated if someone didn't know the answer and thought she was better than everyone else. She wasn't really interested in becoming friends and would keep on about her being an adult basically *rolls eyes* so I would just say to be friendly etc and you'll fit in no problem additionally, I'm doing my MA and we range from age 21-56 and honestly? Best group of people I've ever met-everyone got along so well and there was no pushing people out based on age etc so don't worry or try not to worry or stress about your age
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hey MiracleLeaf!

Honestly, you have nothing to worry about! So many people start university at the age of 21 and older! (I think its something like 60% start uni at the age of 20 and above)

Having already been to university could you pick out people on your course that were 18 compared to 21 because I couldn't, and it would take ages for me to realise that people I knew were older/younger than me - including people I lived with! Some people look younger, and some people look older than there are, also maturity level ranges regardless of age, so I really don't think you will be treated or seen any differently.

Living in halls might be a bit hard if you aren't necessarily as into going out as others might be, but that's the same with anyone regardless of age.

Hope this reassures you! Good luck with everything!

Courtney -- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (56)
24.67%
Better than expected (49)
21.59%
Worse than expected (122)
53.74%

Watched Threads