The Student Room Group

Regret sending teacher email

Ughh, I’m in Year 12 and I’d say from March-May I was working brilliantly and felt so productive, completely class work and even revising 4-5 hours each day, but these last few weeks have felt so demotivating and I’m disappointed in myself. Predicted A* A A next year, although that was a few months ago so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s dropped, but I’m panicking that I won’t even pass at this rate. Over summer we have tons of essays and coursework to complete - I have the drive to do so, but share a room which can be really distracting and feel kinda sick of being stuck indoors. Today we had 2 hours of sociology in school and that’s literally all I’ve done because I arrived home, had a meltdown then couldn’t concentrate. ANYWAY, onto the email - I’m not close to my tutor at all, but I just told her some family things and how overwhelmed I’ve been feeling, and even that another teacher asked if I’d considered Oxbridge and how it’s a compliment, but it sorta knocked my confidence because I don’t stand a chance of getting in, so why suggest it? But yeah, I regret sending it, especially the Oxbridge part :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Ughh, I’m in Year 12 and I’d say from March-May I was working brilliantly and felt so productive, completely class work and even revising 4-5 hours each day, but these last few weeks have felt so demotivating and I’m disappointed in myself. Predicted A* A A next year, although that was a few months ago so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s dropped, but I’m panicking that I won’t even pass at this rate. Over summer we have tons of essays and coursework to complete - I have the drive to do so, but share a room which can be really distracting and feel kinda sick of being stuck indoors. Today we had 2 hours of sociology in school and that’s literally all I’ve done because I arrived home, had a meltdown then couldn’t concentrate. ANYWAY, onto the email - I’m not close to my tutor at all, but I just told her some family things and how overwhelmed I’ve been feeling, and even that another teacher asked if I’d considered Oxbridge and how it’s a compliment, but it sorta knocked my confidence because I don’t stand a chance of getting in, so why suggest it? But yeah, I regret sending it, especially the Oxbridge part :frown:

Hi, I'm in yr12 as well and I have to say that it sounds like you are still on the right track to do some amazing things so first of all good job!
With regards to feeling demotivated, covid19 hasn't helped in the sense that we are all stuck indoors and at this point that's getting really tedious, so I completely understand how you feel. It's almost the summer and a break would be nice but it's really hard to go anywhere.
I'm not that close to my tutor either - I'm a new student at my college as I came from a different school since I moved house and the new school was more convenient for me. My old tutor I was rly rly close with but my new one, although she's rly nice im just not that comfortable with her yet. But, I think over this time you probably did the right thing by at least explaining to someone perhaps why you feel pressured or maybe a little bit anxious that you might not perform as well as everyone's expecting you to - again my mum really wanted me to have straight 9's for my GCSEs and oh boy did I disappoint her haha I only got one 9 😂
The only important point is do you want to go to Oxbridge? I thought I did for a while before I realised that actually again that was my mum's dream, not mine and whilst I'm still aspiring to go to a Russel group university, I'm not looking at Oxbridge anymore. For a start, the don't even do the course I want for goodness sakes!
So all in all I think perhaps you needed to tell someone how you felt, and whilst you may not be close to your tutor, they're still a valuable source of help and information and maybe they'll be able to suggest something to you that could rly help.
Hope that makes you feel a bit better - you're amazing!!

Quick Reply

Latest