The Student Room Group

chemistry question that isn't in AS specification? (need someone that knows the spec)

So if you look at the attached files, you can see 2 versions of the product (the two alkenes). I understand how these are formed, but then the question asks about the polarity of them? The part of my AQA textbook that covers this reaction (dehydration of alcohols) has nothing about the polarity of said alkenes produced. The only thing I can think of that my textbook covers is the positive inductive effect... which doesn't really explain the difference as only one type of carbo-cation is produced.

Honestly I'm actually kinda baffled... how tf was I supposed to know the answer to this if my textbook doesn't even cover it... is it even in the specification????
Original post by pondering-soul
So if you look at the attached files, you can see 2 versions of the product (the two alkenes). I understand how these are formed, but then the question asks about the polarity of them? The part of my AQA textbook that covers this reaction (dehydration of alcohols) has nothing about the polarity of said alkenes produced. The only thing I can think of that my textbook covers is the positive inductive effect... which doesn't really explain the difference as only one type of carbo-cation is produced.

Honestly I'm actually kinda baffled... how tf was I supposed to know the answer to this if my textbook doesn't even cover it... is it even in the specification????

If you are talking about polarity it is covered in the Bonding section of the specification.

spec.png

right... my bad.. thanks alot

Quick Reply

Latest