The Student Room Group

How much rent do you give your parents?

I’m a 21yo student and live with my parents. It seems weird to not contribute or pay any rent. How much do you give your parents in rent? Or what % of your wages do you give them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I’m a 21yo student and live with my parents. It seems weird to not contribute or pay any rent. How much do you give your parents in rent? Or what % of your wages do you give them?

Umm zero? But then again im 14 and have no source of income so.........

I don’t pay rent but I buy the groceries sometimes and pay some bills :smile:

unless your parents are poor and you have a full-time job... treating your own children like lodgers/customers is disgusting
Original post by A Rolling Stone
unless your parents are poor and you have a full-time job... treating your own children like lodgers/customers is disgusting

My parents don’t force me to pay anything tbh, I do it just because I want to and also because none of my parents work due to disability and caring responsibilities. I feel bad and that it’s the least I could do.
I pay mine £400 a month. At first I was a bit annoyed about it, but when I added up food/phone/WiFi etc it was actually much higher. Would be even higher if I got somewhere on my own!
£0, my mom brought me into the world, why should I pay to keep a roof over my head!!!
I pay £400 a month, I'm currently working full time, when I was a student I only paid what I could, £200/£150 a month depending on my income, the job I had was a zero hour contract so my mum understood if I couldn't pay anything as the hours provided weren't guaranteed
Zilch. Even if I had money, they wouldn't ask, expect or accept :bhangra:
Reply 9

I’m not poor and they’re not poor. I have more disposable income than them because I have no financial commitments (except usual phone/Netflix etc). It seems unfair that they have worked hard for all these years but have less money than me to treat themselves with. Why should I get to live here for free, I’m an adult with my own income?
Reply 10
When I lived at home, I was paying half of everything so, £408 a month and then we’d alternate shopping.
I pay £20 a week, but I am unemployed. While I understand my parents don't necessarily need the money, it's a token gesture and is far less money than what they pay out to keep me at home.
My family consists of 4 sisters (including me) and a baby brother. I'm a student and 2 of my sisters are in full-time work while the others are still at school.
Between the 3 of us we cover 1 bill each between gas, electricity and water which comes once every 3 months and typically works out roughly the same. My dad pays the rest unless we need to. I used to give my mum £20 a week, £80 a month but since we are the primary earners now, we just do the general house shopping between us. We also help with the home renovations and cover all costs for the younger siblings such so I don't feel like I need to give my mum the £20 a week anymore but I do give her random gifts every once so often or on special occasions.

My older sister who earns a decent salary gives my mum £250 a month, the other sister is a recent graduate so can't afford to contribute anything more and I am graduating this year and likely give her £150 once I get a decent salary.
I’m not poor and they’re not poor. I have more disposable income than them because I have no financial commitments (except usual phone/Netflix etc). It seems unfair that they have worked hard for all these years but have less money than me to treat themselves with. Why should I get to live here for free, I’m an adult with my own income?

because you are their child...?!?!?!
because you are their child...?!?!?!

Doesn’t mean I’m entitled to anything. Up until 18 yes I agree, child shouldn’t have to pay rent. But 21? Like what if I’m still living there at 30, when is the like drawn? It just seems so selfish that I can live my best life with all my luxuries, but they can’t as most of their money goes on the house/bills. This is all off my own back, they ask for nothing

I appreciate seeing it from a different view. If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you?
My family consists of 4 sisters (including me) and a baby brother. I'm a student and 2 of my sisters are in full-time work while the others are still at school.
Between the 3 of us we cover 1 bill each between gas, electricity and water which comes once every 3 months and typically works out roughly the same. My dad pays the rest unless we need to. I used to give my mum £20 a week, £80 a month but since we are the primary earners now, we just do the general house shopping between us. We also help with the home renovations and cover all costs for the younger siblings such so I don't feel like I need to give my mum the £20 a week anymore but I do give her random gifts every once so often or on special occasions.

My older sister who earns a decent salary gives my mum £250 a month, the other sister is a recent graduate so can't afford to contribute anything more and I am graduating this year and likely give her £150 once I get a decent salary.

I like this system you have in place. We don’t have as many people in my house, but I will look into seeing if we can make this work. They feel funny taking rent, so this may be a way I can contribute too. It just seems so selfish me sitting here with my money whilst they pay for everything
Reading this thread makes me realise why people are living with their parents in their 20s and 30s. I can’t believe grown adults think that they should live rent free in their parents home.
Doesn’t mean I’m entitled to anything. Up until 18 yes I agree, child shouldn’t have to pay rent. But 21? Like what if I’m still living there at 30, when is the like drawn? It just seems so selfish that I can live my best life with all my luxuries, but they can’t as most of their money goes on the house/bills. This is all off my own back, they ask for nothing

I appreciate seeing it from a different view. If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you?

I totally agree with you. Won’t pay rent, but will spend money on cars, holidays, Gucci handbags, trainers, etc.
Reading this thread makes me realise why people are living with their parents in their 20s and 30s. I can’t believe grown adults think that they should live rent free in their parents home.

Agreed! The sense of entitlement is staggering: "I didn't choose to be born so everyone should give me everything and I shouldn't have to work for it"
Reply 19
I don’t give my mum anything atm (mainly due to corona) but I do a lot of childcare, housework and the food shop. My older siblings each contribute £400 a month but if they’re not asking for anything and they don’t need it, I’d consider just paying your way so you’re not an extra expense and saving up for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending