Nadim Chowdhury
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm thinking of buying my first car soon. I'm planning on buying insurance out right as I feel like it gives me more bargaining power when trying to haggle and it'll be cheaper overall. As a result I'm looking for a car in maybe a month or two.

I want my first car to fit a few criteria. Dirt cheap to buy and run. I want something reliable. I'm 18, and plan to keep it for 3 years without doing anything apart from basic maintainance. It has to be 5 door (due to family and work, just makes everyone's life easier imo), but I'm not tooooo fussed about it. It also has to be petrol newer than/ or a 51 plate due to ULEZ expanding.

The 3 cars I have in mind is
1. Toyota Yaris mk1
2. Nissan Micra k11 (square headlights)
3. Suzuki alto

Anyone got any ideas or owned one? Would be nice to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions.
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
1.Name:  download.jpeg.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  11.2 KB

2Name:  images.jpeg-3.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  13.9 KB

3.Name:  images.jpeg-4.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  17.5 KB

Those 3 are currently what I'm considering. Most likely am going to go for a yaris though
Attached files
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
I've decided I'm either going for a mk2 yaris with a 1 litre engine 5 door or a toyota aygo/citroen/Peugeot 5 door because of insurance.
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nadim Chowdhury)
I've decided I'm either going for a mk2 yaris with a 1 litre engine 5 door or a toyota aygo/citroen/Peugeot 5 door because of insurance.
I don't see the Toyota causing too many issues, cheap to run and maintain, can't go wrong with that choice imo. Just make sure you have the full service history and check everything's working as it should. Either take someone who knows cars with you to buy it or get a pre purchase inspection done
iMZee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All three of them are hideous, but if I had to chose one it would be the toyota.
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
(Original post by TajwarC)
I don't see the Toyota causing too many issues, cheap to run and maintain, can't go wrong with that choice imo. Just make sure you have the full service history and check everything's working as it should. Either take someone who knows cars with you to buy it or get a pre purchase inspection done
(Original post by iMZee)
All three of them are hideous, but if I had to chose one it would be the toyota.
I know not really a typical 18 year old persons car but I need to be sensible. I will most likely get an aygo/c1/107 As it makes a lot of sense to me, but it doesn't have a digital speedo and rev meter like a yaris, so it's a trade off. Then again I could fit HUD on an aygo for cheap from eBay if I really want
TajwarC
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know not really a typical 18 year old persons car but I need to be sensible. I will most likely get an aygo/c1/107 As it makes a lot of sense to me, but it doesn't have a digital speedo and rev meter like a yaris, so it's a trade off. Then again I could fit HUD on an aygo for cheap from eBay if I really want
Forget the looks man honestly no one is going to care and it seems you're trying to do the sensible thing here. Its only people who don't own a car or can't even drive that really make a fuss about what the car looks like, especially considering it's your first car.
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
(Original post by TajwarC)
Forget the looks man honestly no one is going to care and it seems you're trying to do the sensible thing here. Its only people who don't own a car or can't even drive that really make a fuss about what the car looks like, especially considering it's your first car.
With my first car im really not looking for stress from wondering can I make monthly finance and insurance payments. And even if I do, I don't want to feel like I've been taxed second time (by monthly payments). So I'm going to buy everything up front as soon as I save, and I also don't want it to break down. I would love either those 3 cars or the 2 I mentioned because I feel like you grow to like them. However I heard the micra and alto do rust, and insurance reasons makes more sense to buy a c1/aygo/107 or mk2 yaris 1.0.
Casmo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Toyota Yaris is the best option! First of all, Toyota is a reliable Japanese car. Besides, this car is small which is perfect for the first car. Also, make sure to check the car history and VIN number before buying, it's essential. For example, here is a good website https://www.quickrevs.com.au/revs-check-wa
Last edited by Casmo; 4 weeks ago
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
(Original post by Casmo)
Toyota Yaris is the best option!
My dad's one has been solid! I love the digital dash on it
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Micra is much smaller than Toyota. The fuel economy is excellent.
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Please don’t buy the Nisan Micra :/
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
I guess the micra is reliable and easy to work on (If needed) but the toyota is what I'm most comfortable with. Either a yaris (2006 ish shape) or a aygo/c1/107
Bexjw
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They’re all really sensible options and I’m actually really pleased you’re not choosing the car based on looks but affordability and durability!

My friends had an old Nissan Micra and basically ran it to the ground. It was very reliable and only struggled on big hills!

Another friend had a Yaris and loved it. Great little cars. I’d personally choose the Yaris.
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bexjw)
They’re all really sensible options and I’m actually really pleased you’re not choosing the car based on looks but affordability and durability!

My friends had an old Nissan Micra and basically ran it to the ground. It was very reliable and only struggled on big hills!

Another friend had a Yaris and loved it. Great little cars. I’d personally choose the Yaris.
I service my dad's yaris and change the odd lightbulb. So easy I love it. And the digital dash is very nice! Really considering one if its available for a sensible price
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RaA64)
Why don't advise the guy to hit his feet with hammer already? It would be an equally good advice.

That Micra is terrific car for people who have to be careful about their budget. Reliable, easy to work on, and fuel economy is excellent. It's even better than in euqually small cars of other makes.
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
So there's many fans to the micra I see. My uncles are both instructors and they used to use the k11 back in the mid 2000s. How time flies, I was probably 4 or 5 years old! I do like the yaris however, I guess they should be equally as good. I would love to have either tbh!
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So there's many fans to the micra I see. My uncles are both instructors and they used to use the k11 back in the mid 2000s. How time flies, I was probably 4 or 5 years old! I do like the yaris however, I guess they should be equally as good. I would love to have either tbh!
The Yaris is a good, but MUCH bigger car than the Micra.
I like both of them, but the Micra is absolutely superior in terms of fuel economy.
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
(Original post by PTMalewski)
The Yaris is a good, but MUCH bigger car than the Micra.
I like both of them, but the Micra is absolutely superior in terms of fuel economy.
I can imagine. They seem like the original minis. However rust is one thing that seems to kill them off and it's getting a bit too old, maybe a yaris makes more sense. Or even better, an aygo which is smaller than a yaris!
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RaA64)
Sorry, it’s a joke between me and my friends l.

On a serious note, I’d suggest you buy the Toyota mate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (84)
25%
Better than expected (72)
21.43%
Worse than expected (180)
53.57%

Watched Threads