The film "The Terminal" offensive drivel? Watch

burninginme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I find Hanks attempt at a portrayal of non-English speaking foreigner offensive. Why is anyone who doesn't speak English in America portrayed as a forest gump type character with a mental age of 6? Yet when American films feature Americans abroad they're always portrayed as intelligent, resourceful, brave, heroic, etc.

I thought Speilburg would have been a bit more intelligent than to portray a foreign like this. In no way was it complementary at all. I mean, the part where he started dismantling the seats - do Americans really think that foreigns have never heard of an airport and have no idea what seats are?

I'm probably the only one, but I found this film verging on offensive. Half way though I wasn't sure, is this film about a man from an ex Russian state in civil war stranded at an airport, or was it about a mentally ill bafoon with a mental age of 6?

I accept that the character would likely be lost and confused as he doesn't understand English in a largely mono-linguistic country, but still I can't think of any sane person who would act in the way he did in the film, even if they couldn't understand the language. The film was based on the Iranian refugee Mehran Karimi Nasseri who was denied refuge in France and subsquently spent many years living at the airport. Yet I'm pretty sure he did not behave in the manner that the character portrayed in The Terminal did, I believe he behaved as a normal sane person.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
brilliant movie...don't you dare mock it! he had an iq of 75..what do you expect?
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a film.
dave_bob
Report 10 years ago
no. just no.
DirtyHarry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've not seen it but the fact you were offended makes me want to stomp on your face. Get real mannnn.
chupa chup
Report 10 years ago
I'm with the OP, Tom Hanks portrayed the character as if he was from another planet rather than another country.
Rock n Roll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, i bet he has friends...... Even with that low IQ
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by burninginme)
I find Hanks attempt at a portrayal of non-English speaking foreigner offensive. Why is anyone who doesn't speak English in America portrayed as a forest gump type character with a mental age of 6? Yet when American films feature Americans abroad they're always portrayed as intelligent, resourceful, brave, heroic, etc.

I thought Speilburg would have been a bit more intelligent than to portray a foreign like this. In no way was it complementary at all. I mean, the part where he started dismantling the seats - do Americans really think that foreigns have never heard of an airport and have no idea what seats are?

I'm probably the only one, but I found this film verging on offensive. Half way though I wasn't sure, is this film about a man from an ex Russian state in civil war stranded at an airport, or was it about a mentally ill bafoon with a mental age of 6?

I accept that the character would likely be lost and confused as he doesn't understand English in a largely mono-linguistic country, but still I can't think of any sane person who would act in the way he did in the film, even if they couldn't understand the language. The film was based on the Iranian refugee Mehran Karimi Nasseri who was denied refuge in France and subsquently spent many years living at the airport. Yet I'm pretty sure he did not behave in the manner that the character portrayed in The Terminal did, I believe he behaved as a normal sane person.
he had an iq of 75, end of thread.
History Lost in Physics
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Completely disagree with OP - his performance is of someone who speaks no english; that's what you'de look like in that situation in many other countries. Or maybe you can look suave and sophisticated when you don't know what's going on and you don't speak the language?
Tut.exe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hmmm, you should complain about forrest gump and his potrayal of an american with the brain of a 5 year old
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chupa chup)
I'm with the OP, Tom Hanks portrayed the character as if he was from another planet rather than another country.
Well, it's hardly going to be entertaining if the character wasn't eccentric.

For god sake, its a film. It's designed to make money. If the character wasn't as he was, the film wouldn't have been entertaining and it wouldn't have succeeded.

Get real, please.
DirtyHarry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Well, it's hardly going to be entertaining if the character wasn't eccentric.

For god sake, its a film. It's designed to make money. If the character wasn't as he was, the film wouldn't have been entertaining and it wouldn't have succeeded.

Get real, please.
Too many boohoo people about that get 'offended' by anything and everything.

Harden the **** up eh!
burninginme
Rep:
?
(Original post by History Lost in Physics)
Completely disagree with OP - his performance is of someone who speaks no english; that's what you'de look like in that situation in many other countries. Or maybe you can look suave and sophisticated when you don't know what's going on and you don't speak the language?
How many people without serious issues would start vandalizing seats and knocking kids of baggage trollies? I accept that someone who doesn't know what's going on and doesn't understand the culture would do strange things, but the stuff he was doing is pretty universal in most cultures as unacceptable.

As I said, Mehran Karimi Nasseri, the person in which this film was based on spoke only Persian, and obviously was confused, yet did nothing that could be considered destructive or out right weird.
gm15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by History Lost in Physics)
:ditto:
xxstace123xx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, its a good film
burninginme
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tut.exe)
hmmm, you should complain about forrest gump and his potrayal of an american with the brain of a 5 year old
That's a rediculous comparison to make. Forrest Gump had severe learning difficulties and had an IQ of 75. He wasn't portrayed as a normal American. However, The Terminal was supposedly portraying the normal reactions of a refugee in that situation.
manderton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As I said, Mehran Karimi Nasseri, the person in which this film was based on spoke only Persian, and obviously was confused, yet did nothing that could be considered destructive or out right weird.
And did nothing that would make a good film!

The directors made things up & twisted the story a bit to make a good FILM.

a film based on real events - not re-telling them otherwise it would be a documentary (and a very dull one at that).
History Lost in Physics
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How many people without serious issues would start vandalizing seats and knocking kids of baggage trollies? I accept that someone who doesn't know what's going on and doesn't understand the culture would do strange things, but the stuff he was doing is pretty universal in most cultures as unacceptable.

It may be that you're just a very calm person (which is good) - but many people are not. Kicking over trolleys seems calm by comparison to some of the things people do when put under pressure!
gm15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP - if you went to somewhere not knowing the language, the locals didn't speak english and you had no idea what was going on or what they were saying you would appear just as stupid to them as tom hank's character even if in reality you were a genius who just didn't know their language.
tompark
Report 10 years ago
In the film he's portrayed as a very capable if not talented building contracter who creates things with limited tools etc. Plus, he learns English (supposedly) from a single handbook. Yeah, real age of a 6 year old you cretin.

Some people are such poon tangs in this forum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed