Turn on thread page Beta

how fast to cruise on motorways at? watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, so we all know that the speed limits are made to be broken. however, as a new driver with insurance already pushing 3k I cant really afford to get caught for speeding, lol.

my question is basically "what speed would you say is safe to cruise down the motorway at without getting caught?"
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    ..maybe stick to the speed limit then?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    less than 80

ReputationRep:
    71 mph

ReputationRep:
    The speed limit lol. Maybe 5/10 mph over.

Just dont do what my dad does.

ReputationRep:
    Without getting caught?

70 (or whatever the recommended limit is in that section of the motorway)

ReputationRep:
    Don't drive a flashy car, or a car with a flashy colour. It'll make your speed lesss noticeable.

ReputationRep:
    70-75?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Umm, stick to the speed limit. There are limits for a reason.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to speed, go with the flow of traffic - as in, if everyone is cruising at 80, don't overtake them all at 95.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmyMonster)
    If you are going to speed, go with the flow of traffic - as in, if everyone is cruising at 80, don't overtake them all at 95.
    Ooops :flute:

In all seriousness, I have been driving for just a few months, so I know the feeling. The best thing to do is to not speed, but it's easily done, particularly when everyone around you is doing 80+.

The best idea is to follow the general flow, and you can't go far wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to do about 80 and try not to do anymore...70 feels so slow when everyone around is zooming past! However it does cost more in fuel so I'm thinking of starting to drive at 65-70 to save some money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    Umm, stick to the speed limit. There are limits for a reason.
    Because it saved fuel during the oil crisis back in the day.

ReputationRep:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Syntax Terrier)
    Because it saved fuel during the oil crisis back in the day.
    It's also safer to stick to the limit :yep: I had an aunt killed by a speeding car. It's okay when you go over the speed limit slightly (more so on motorways when cars around you are going at that speed too and not going faster will probably end with you being squished) but the OP seems to be doing it for kicks and in a defiant kind of way.

ReputationRep:
    I go for the best compromise between fuel efficiency and journey time i.e. Travelling at 85 instead of 70 for a decent length motorway journey is going to make the journey quite a lot shorter, but now petrol is bloody expensive so its difficult

ReputationRep:
    Best tip is to NEVER be the fastest on the motorway, look out for unmarked cop cars/ones on bridges etc, but anything up to 85 you should be fine, avoid anything over 98 though as then your straight to court, also remember the 2 second gap.

ReputationRep:
    76 cause you're allowed 10% over the speed limit xxx
    ps. its over 90 and you get an instant ban i think

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.