Unsure what to pick for A level out of these 4

Watch
Onlytheuniverse
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m pretty set on doing psychology but I just need to eliminate one of the following out of physics, criminology and film studies. At the minute I’m thinking of taking physics and one of the other two, what do you guys think would be the best combination? I’m not sure of some of criminology sounds that interesting and I know I would enjoy the majority of film studies and got a high grades in media at GCSE but at the same time I feel criminology may sit better with psychology and link my subjects together more? I really don’t know, any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks
SAARH.A5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you want to study Psychology at university, there are no specific A level subjects that you need to take, but it's best to check entry requirements to make sure. It would be recommended to study A level Maths with Physics as they complement each other well. I would advise you to do A level Psychology, Criminology (as they complement each other well) or Sociology. In my opinion, I don't think it's worth taking A level physics if you're set on a Psychology degree, but it's completely up to you.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SAARH.A5)
If you want to study Psychology at university, there are no specific A level subjects that you need to take, but it's best to check entry requirements to make sure. It would be recommended to study A level Maths with Physics as they complement each other well. I would advise you to do A level Psychology, Criminology (as they complement each other well) or Sociology. In my opinion, I don't think it's worth taking A level physics if you're set on a Psychology degree, but it's completely up to you.
I disagree because some unis might not see Psychology as a Science A level and some psychology (most Bsc) require a science a level - I think BA is what you are thinking of. I dont see why physics shouldn't be worth taking if its something the OP enjoys
Last edited by PetitePanda; 3 weeks ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I suggest you choose whatever you enjoy. Defo take psychology and film studies because it seems like you enjoy it so it's between physics and criminology. I suggest research the topics and read around the topics so you know what you will be learning and which you might enjoy more
SAARH.A5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I disagree because some unis might not see Psychology as a Science A level and some psychology (maybe most Bsc) require a science a level. I dont see why physics shouldn't be worth taking if its something the OP enjoys
Of course OP should choose A level Physics if they want to. I didn't know that a BSc in Psychology required at least one science subject. That's why it is best for OP to do their own research and look at each universities entry requirements.
HaydenFordz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
personally crimonology, physics and psychology sounds best
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I disagree because some unis might not see Psychology as a Science A level and some psychology (most Bsc) require a science a level - I think BA is what you are thinking of. I dont see why physics shouldn't be worth taking if its something the OP enjoys
Psychology is counted as a science by universities if they are looking at perusing psychology at uni, and most do consider psychology as a science anyway as it is a science. Physics would have the benefit of 2 science a levels which would give more options at uni.
zoe82003
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Onlytheuniverse)
I’m pretty set on doing psychology but I just need to eliminate one of the following out of physics, criminology and film studies. At the minute I’m thinking of taking physics and one of the other two, what do you guys think would be the best combination? I’m not sure of some of criminology sounds that interesting and I know I would enjoy the majority of film studies and got a high grades in media at GCSE but at the same time I feel criminology may sit better with psychology and link my subjects together more? I really don’t know, any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks
I do criminology, psychology and English literature. crim and psych mix well so I would recommend that but that's just my opinion
Onlytheuniverse
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by zoe82003)
I do criminology, psychology and English literature. crim and psych mix well so I would recommend that but that's just my opinion
What specifically do you learn about in criminology? What are some of the topics and things you do?
deerme
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why don't you consider taking all 4 at first? That way you can experience them all, then perhaps a month or so into Year 12 you can decide then which you enjoy least, then drop that. I know a lot of sixth forms do have that option - a bunch of people I know have done this when they were in your situation.
Hermione23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Criminology is a very specific subject though, so if you know what you want to do at uni have a look at the A levels you need for it. If you know the area your thinking about going in make sure criminology is relevant else it will close you off to some other pathways.
zoe82003
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What specifically do you learn about in criminology? What are some of the topics and things you do?
theorie of criminality, look into real life case studies, types of crime, what personnel do at crime scenes, in my first exam (8 hrs but didn't even feel that long so dw if u have wjec, it isn't that bad don't worry) we designed our own campaigns... stuff like that. Great subject, choosing it at uni
iracundus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would just warn against physics without maths, that’s what I did, I got an A* I. Physics gcse and am probably gonna get a C at alevel. While this doesn’t obviously mean you would, without maths you are at a severe disadvantage with physics alevel as everyone else who does maths literally has already learnt the mechanics topic, it made it really hard for me and stressful when I didn’t need physics for my degree and could have picked something easier, due to this experience I always warn people about this difficulty. If you really love it then go for it but if your 50/50 on not doing it then I would just say I worked really hard and still really struggled, idk if that struggle is worth it aha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (79)
38.73%
Take autumn exams (68)
33.33%
Look for a job (6)
2.94%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.43%
Take a year out (31)
15.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.37%

Watched Threads