The Student Room Group

My parents want me to move to Uni on the train ?

I don’t have a clue how I’ll manage to bring everything i need if I have to take a train to move to Uni.
I had honestly just thought they would drive me lol.
How did other people manage it ? I need to bring duvets and pillows and stuff

Scroll to see replies

I’d just take clothes chargers phone I pad laptop and buy everything else in town once you get there.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I’d just take clothes chargers phone I pad laptop and buy everything else in town once you get there.

I’ve already lived away from before though so I have everything at home that I would need, I’m pretty skint and it would be SO uneconomical to just rebuy everything
Original post by Caea
I don’t have a clue how I’ll manage to bring everything i need if I have to take a train to move to Uni.

Hire a van? That might cost you maybe £200. Could be cheaper than some train tickets.

Hire professional movers? £400 at least I imagine, for the typical quantity a student would take with them.

Take the things you can with you on the train (2 suitcases), and buy the bulky items like duvets in town... I don't know, maybe £150? You could get a friend to help out with the move on the day, maybe?
Have you nicely asked if they could drive you?

Depending how far it is you might be able to do it with a man & van for a lot less than £400 esp if you aren't bringing bulky stuff like beds/sofas.
Are they able to visit you at a later date?

A rucksack and a big suitcase on the train can have the essentials in, they could come down a week or two later with the rest?
Original post by Caea

People used to have a trunk and pay for that to be transported. However, I'd ask nicely if they could take you. I think mot parents are keen to see where their children are going to be living.
Original post by Caea

If your parents don't want to take you, do you have a friend who could drive you? Otherwise, take the bare minimum with you on moving day and get the rest shipped to you.
Original post by Muttley79
People used to have a trunk and pay for that to be transported. However, I'd ask nicely if they could take you. I think mot parents are keen to see where their children are going to be living.

They used to have a fag cardboard trunk as well
Original post by Caea
I need to bring duvets and pillows and stuff

How about a sleeping bag instead if you have one? Saves space. :wink2:

Also why multiple duvets? :lolwut:
Original post by StriderHort
They used to have a fag as well, to carry the trunk :tongue:

No - the trunks went on a train and then moved up to halls - lots of 'ordinary' people did not have cars. These were not 'posh' people ...
Original post by Caea

Well this would be far from ideal you’ll be much more limited in how much stuff you can bring. Id even ask a mate with a car to help out if your parents refuse, but id pester them for some help.

It’s possible tho international students move in every year with 2 suitcases (but they do tend to buy a lot of stuff on arrival).
Original post by Muttley79
People used to have a trunk and pay for that to be transported.

In Victorian times maybe....OP you need to ask your parents if they will help you/ask a friend or other family member/buy one of those cheap bedding sets they now supply at unis
Original post by harrysbar
In Victorian times maybe....OP you need to ask your parents if they will help you/ask a friend or other family member/buy one of those cheap bedding sets they now supply at unis

Nope - still happening in the 1970s and later ... I know people whose parents did not have cars and that was how they had to get their stuff to uni.
Have they explicitly said no? Ask them nicely, explain why you want them to.

If they refuse, ask another family member or a friend with a car.

Still no one, if they will come and visit sometime soon, ask them to bring your luggage then, and pack less and take a sleeping bag until they come.

If no one is going to visit, you have to either ship/post your luggage or buy new things locally, or make another trip back.
I'm probably one of the few people who have actually done this. My parent came with me though, I dont think it would be doable to carry everything on your own. A car is better but it's not impossible to do it on the train.
Original post by Caea

Have you got any willing friends to potentially go on the train with you. They could help you transport your belongings in exchange for a couple nights stay over during Freshers :wink:
Original post by harrysbar

I had a trunk when I went to school, that was only in the 2000s.
Original post by Caea

Meanwhile I have to take a flight to england with 2 suitcases hahah struggles everywhere ... I would really Just take only a few clothes with you and concentrate on things that are more important (like duvets and pillows as you said, since finding some comfortable duvets is a pain). Clothes you can find anywhere if you have an emergency and let's be honest we don't have to really dress up at the current situation when visiting the online classes ;P.

if you really have to travel with the train, make yourself enough time to change trains if you have to! rather wait too long than having to run with all your luggage...

So long story short: take with you what you can't easily replace and go back once to get the rest!
That's what i'll have to do too :smile:
Original post by DiddyDec
I had a trunk when I went to school, that was only in the 2000s.

Wow I just don’t normally mix with the sort of people who take trunks to uni or school :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest