Turn on thread page Beta

Voluntary work? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok as I am only 15. I can't get a job anywhere.

So I am thinking of doing some voluntary work for charities?

Will this look good, when I do become old enough to get a job?

Has anyone volunteered? Is it ok? Can you reccomend me charities to ask?

Really just looking for few hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    14 warnings...what have you been upto?

Anyway, it will look absolutely brilliant on your CV particularly if you ever decide to apply to go into law or banking. Because those careers basically involve earning a lot of money and screwing people over they like people who give a little bit back to society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeedsStude1)
    14 warnings...what have you been upto?

Anyway, it will look absolutely brilliant on your CV particularly if you ever decide to apply to go into law or banking. Because those careers basically involve earning a lot of money and screwing people over they like people who give a little bit back to society.
    Look at the signature lol. Have you ever done any?

ReputationRep:
    well it can't look bad on an application form, so it is worth a shot.
    Try some charity shops then you can get into retail work as soon as you turn 16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Look at the signature lol. Have you ever done any?
    I did some a couple of years ago, and it helped my CV enormously and gave me loads to talk about at interviews etc.

Btw, she has been banned.

ReputationRep:
    St John's Ambulance?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else please?

Looking to work in the shops, maybe at events etc.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe not then.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it would look excellent. Just walk into a charity shop and they will give you hours immediately. My mum's the manager of a charity shop for a local hospice, and if any of the volunteers there wants to do work experience in another part- like the actual hospice, or the fundraising department, she will get them some. so if you can maybe go first to the kind of charity your future career might be a bit relevant to- like if it's medicine, a hospice, or if its int. development, oxfam. good luck.

ReputationRep:
    www.do-it.org.uk
    thats where i get my volunteering from at the min i volunteer with brownies and love it..but anyways u shud find something through this site.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Look at www.do-it.org.uk.
    Also, think about the sort of thing you want to do and ask around - your teachers may have ideas, or contacts for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Ok as I am only 15. I can't get a job anywhere.

So I am thinking of doing some voluntary work for charities?

Will this look good, when I do become old enough to get a job?

Has anyone volunteered? Is it ok? Can you reccomend me charities to ask?

Really just looking for few hours a week.
    i volunter with Sense and with St Johns Ambulance but at 15 i think you are still too young for most charity shops. At sense you have to be 16 as is with St Johns Ambulance.

ReputationRep:
    Go to oxfam or another charity shop.
    You will most likely get till trained and you would have retail experience which would be useful for getting a job when you turn 16

ReputationRep:
    I went on do-it last summer before I started uni and worked at BHF for 2 months. It definitely helped me as it gave me something to put on my CV and I think it helped me get my first job at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I worked at my local Cancer Research when I was about 16 for a good year and a half and it definitely gave me something to talk about in proper job interviews afterwards.

I only worked there a few hours on a Saturday morning and just walked in one day and asked if I could do some work for them and got an instant yes.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.