Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was reading an article about how heels can damage your spine and it really got me thinking. I've started wearing heels more nowadays as they really give me confidence, but i've noticed my back has started to ache as a result. Here is the article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...eft-agony.html
    I'd never really gave it a thought, i didn't know much about how heels tilt your pelvis.

I don't wear heels every day and i have to change to flats after a few hours as my soles burn. I do quite often wear 3/4 inch heels to work for 4 hours every few days, is this ok? What about 2 inch heels?

How often do you wear heels? And has any of you ever wondered about what regular heel-wearing does to your back etc?

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear high heels, they take the piss.
    Oh, and, I'm tall already so yay.

ReputationRep:
    I wear them behind my physio's back. :rolleyes:
    They don't allow my foot to go flat on the ground obviously, and I don't heal toe like normal people.
    I wear them like once a week, and I'm inb trains for the rest of the week,

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear heels, for the pure and simple reason that I can't walk in them. However, I did wear some shoes with slight cork heels the other day, for a wedding, and I could feel my hip tilting and aching. They do damage.

ReputationRep:
    I was told to try them to help my posture (which was the reason for my back pain)

But somehow, I don't enjoy looking like a 9 foot woman in heels...

(P.S. I'm 5"11, not 9 foot...)

ReputationRep:
    About 75% of the time im wearing heels and i know all about what they do to your back etc but i just love my heels too much to cut down on wearing them

ReputationRep:
    Last school year I wore flats maybe ten times and apart from that every day was 2-4 inch heels. I wear them walking to school and take them off when I go to bed, so that's 8:30AM-12PMish. My left foot turns in when I walk so I prefer risking backache in heels to looking like a healthy duck in flats.

ReputationRep:
    Feels a bit easier for me. Totally flats are meant to be worse though (read in a newspaper somewhere)

Tis food for thought though

ReputationRep:
    Yea flats are really bad for you as well. Can't win.

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the reasons my mum hates me wearing heels.. but then again I can barely walk in them so I only wear heels about once or twice a month.. lol.. however this may change if I do learn to walk in heels properly any time soon.. 8-) lol

ReputationRep:
    A 1-2 inch heel is recommended by podiatrists. Too flat, and it can be damaging and too high it can be also.

I wear skate shoes most of the time, and when I'm not in them, I'm in a pair of boots with a 1 inch heel, or a pair of New Rocks with a 2-3 inch platform.
    I have flat feet for which I have to wear orthotics, so heels are a no go for me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I thought about it for a second.

I'd never give up my heels.

ReputationRep:
    i can't walk in heels :o:
    and i have scoliosis so it probably wouldn't be very productive for me to injure my back more :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i heard they can damage you're spine. I only wear them on occasion, like parties etc.

ReputationRep:
    I wear heels to work usually as i only work 4 hour shifts and cos i work in a shoe shop it's hard to resist the pretty heels on my uniform discount!

ReputationRep:
    You know, you needn't wear them to woo me.

I'm sure you'll sleep much better now knowing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    I don't wear high heels, they take the piss.
    Oh, and, I'm tall already so yay.
    Agreed Why wear heels when we have the height naturally :p:

ReputationRep:
    I wear heels about twice a month xD So I've never really thought about them doing any damage but I suppose that makes sense. Don't think my feet could stand them for long enough for me to get any other problems though ><
    I like wearing heels, but I have flat feet so most look terrible on me. But no matter how good they look I just can't see myself ever choosing them over my good old trainers <3 xD

ReputationRep:
    Well, my high heels are never seeing the light of day again, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floozie)
    I thought about it for a second.

I'd never give up my heels.
    Me either! :yep: :woo:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.