Turn on thread page Beta

Has any girl ever considered what high heels can do to you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Next thing, we'll find out that shoes give you cancer.
    pink shoes give you cancer, didn't you know? :no:

ReputationRep:
    Obviously heels have to be worn with a bit of common sense. If you wear them all day every day then you develop some real issues and you feet are altered permanently

I alternate between heels and flats. I am always careful to only buy certain heels from certain stores as well as do some special exercises after wearing heels for ages

ReputationRep:
    I have a few 4" heels that I wear out in the evenings, although my feet do hurt a bit, I use those gel pad things and they do make it a bit better. Don't tend to wear much more than 1.5 inches all day, usually converse or rocketdogs Though I find that I walk much better in high heels, I don't slouch as much, so I don't care that it makes me 6 foot something hehe :-)

What I don't get is if flats are bad for you then why do we have flat feet? Then surely walking round in bare feet is bad for you too(?) Maybe because you have to grip them with your toes, but then get flats with a strap across and they stay on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)
    pink shoes give you cancer, didn't you know? :no:
    Oh bum. That's my entire wardrobe down the pan :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    I wear kitten heels alot because I suffer with foot swelling and if I wear really high heels it's worse, but as other people said, flat shoes can be just as bad.

ReputationRep:
    I wear heels a lot cos I'm small

I was told they're much better for your posture and your feet. Not sure if thats true but I'll pretend it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M'Lady)
    I wear kitten heels alot because I suffer with foot swelling and if I wear really high heels it's worse, but as other people said, flat shoes can be just as bad.
    Kitten heels should be okay

They're a bugga for getting caught in cobbles though.

ReputationRep:
    Heels make me feel more feminine but I have to say, my big toe on my right foot has started to realign itself since I started wearing them and the joint is sticking out like the start of a bunion. Which worries me

ReputationRep:
    I literally can't wear heels. Partly because I'm not very good at balancing, and partly because they just hurt. ._.

I think I must have weird feet or something. If I wear heels for walking anywhere, like even a really short distance, the balls of my feet blister really quickly and just hurt like mother*****es. Nothing I've tried helps this. And I've always just figured I can't be bothered. Even low heels do the same thing. If the shoes aren't totally flat, I end up in absolute agony and have to take them off.

But there have always been theories that they damage your back, your feet, etc. I even heard this thing where if you wear them all the time, you get this thing where you can't put your feet flat on the floor anymore. Like what happens when you walk up mountains on your tiptoes. o.O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    Kitten heels should be okay

They're a bugga for getting caught in cobbles though.
    You can say that again, I'm glad there aren't too many cobbles where I live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malleablegrace)
    Heels make me feel more feminine but I have to say, my big toe on my right foot has started to realign itself since I started wearing them and the joint is sticking out like the start of a bunion. Which worries me
    don't wear pointy shoes? there are lots of rounded heels that won't do that to you, surely?

ReputationRep:
    don't wear pointy shoes? there are lots of rounded heels that won't do that to you, surely?
    I don't wear pointy shoes very odd.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear pointy shoes very odd.
    i thought it was just from wearing pointy shoes you got bunions.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of that before. But i have enough problems with the with my ankles. They are a lot weaker than they should be from years of running and ballet, so wearing heels are risky as im likely to sprain or more likely break my ankle. I guess if you just wear them occasionally it wouldnt be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I just can't walk in heels.. I need to practice a bit.

Yea I knew what heels do to your posture and spine ages ago, I v rarely wear heels anyway because im tall (5ft 8/9) - so there is no real need for wearing them 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was just from wearing pointy shoes you got bunions.
    That's what I thought. :confused: mind you I'm bizarre in most other ways, wouldn't surprise me if my bones just moved out of boredom :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought. :confused: mind you I'm bizarre in most other ways, wouldn't surprise me if my bones just moved out of boredom :p:
    might want to have it checked out with an orthopaedic doctor some time soon. It's better to sort out a problem like that now, rather than needing extensive surgery later :woo:

ReputationRep:
    "Has any girl ever considered what high heels can do to you? "

They can be bad for the back, a good remedy is to limit the time she is allowed to walk up and down your back while wearing them, adds to the fun too

ReputationRep:
    It was on an episode of CSI once, how heels throw out the alignment of the spine

I rarely wear heels - mainly because I normally walk fast, and HATE having to walk more slowly! - but when I do, it's usually a wedge or a thick heel. I've got one pair of 4 inch heels (which I've only worn once), but the other 4 pairs are 3 inches or less.

I mostly wear Converse-type shoes, and a pair of Skechers trainers, so I think my feet and spine alignment should be okay!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.