Is not wanting to date a white boy racist?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone! Hope you all are well

I'm a bengali girl and I just don't really see myself dating a white guy. I feel like the cultural differences would be too big and we wouldn't see eye to eye on some things. Could this be considered racist? I'm not basing my preference on any racial stereotypes either so
Synergy_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I do not think so. You are not being prejudicial only having a personal preference based on the most probable practicalities. Though it is not a rule that you wouldn't see eye to eye on some things, cultural differences would most probably be there. Some people enjoy the differences others do not like the hassle. I am assuming you are also taking religion and that into account?
Last edited by Synergy_; 3 weeks ago
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, it's your personal preference
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well, yes, it could be considered prejudicial because you're discounting them purely on the basis of their skin colour and then assuming things about them.

If you know they don't have things in common with you, then that would be different.
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not really. I'm a Bengali and I don't date white people. That being said. The only time I ever did date a girl. She was white. otherwise I've not been involved. I don't date full stop so I can't rly say. But it's like picking someone bc if height or looks, it's not racist. It's making a choice of what you're willing to put effort into or understanding where your difficulties may lie.

In fact. A friend I've made off here. They are the same. They said, the exact same thing about the opposite gender. Except they were Indian ethnicity. So it really isn't unheard of.

I've even known some black ethnicity people to also live by this rule.

It's just like if s white person has a preference not to date a Muslim. or a person who's first language/culture isn't English.

Don't feel bad or guilty or as if you are in wrong for chosing this way.

Imo, you'll get people on here suggesting be more open-minded but truth be told. They do not understand cultural shaping and dynamics which affect communication. Which is what you're probably right to see as a hill climb... Cos, it is a hill climb.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No. Is it ageist if someone doesn’t want to date an 80 year old? Is it sexist if a gay man doesn’t want to date a woman? Do what you want.
Theloniouss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I feel like the cultural differences would be too big and we wouldn't see eye to eye on some things. Could this be considered racist? I'm not basing my preference on any racial stereotypes either so
I hate to break it to you, but assuming the opinions and culture of a person based on their skin colour is quite literally what stereotyping is.
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Mate, date whoever you want. I feel the same way and tend to stick to guys who are south Asian but at the end of the day I’ll be with someone who I have a connection with. If you don’t have a connection with white guys then whatever. You do you.
Last edited by Fermion.; 3 weeks ago
Lyndsey.95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No you have a type.
Sam.C.Mat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So many of these threads and it call comes down to one thing people forget - attraction isn't a choice.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sam.C.Mat)
So many of these threads and it call comes down to one thing people forget - attraction isn't a choice.
This isn't about attraction, it's about OP assuming that white people don't / won't understand their culture. That's racial stereotyping.
Nabu123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly I wouldnt either.
voldi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
lol no its a preference
firdouss
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
no its just a preference i mean i want to get with an asian boy
astayuno
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by firdouss)
no its just a preference i mean i want to get with an asian boy
korean****
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A preference can be racist if it is purely based on the colour of their skin.
firdouss
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Newquay)
No, I'm white and I wouldn't want to date a Bengali girl. But, race should not be a concern and we shouldn't reject someone merely on their colour.
same but i need like personality and something they can do good
oh yes and my standard in boys have got up and up after stanning bts soooooo
noone can beat jungkook
he is soo good at everything
SuperiorPotato
Last edited by firdouss; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
preferences are FINE lol

this is the thing that annoys me about dating apps removing their ethnicity filter e.g. grindr. how are black or brown people going to find similar people then? naturally you feel more comfortable seeing others who share similar experiences or lifestyles or cultures
econhelp525
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
preferences are FINE lol

this is the thing that annoys me about dating apps removing their ethnicity filter e.g. grindr. how are black or brown people going to find similar people then? naturally you feel more comfortable seeing others who share similar experiences or lifestyles or cultures
A race or ethnicity filter is quite literally stating that a person discount any one who doesn't have a particular skin colour and/or ethnic background. Having a preference is fine. Bluntly stating you wouldn't date someone solely based on their colour of skin, or adversely stating that you would only date someone because of their colour of skin is racist and race fetishisation. I've always found the argument of certain white people a bit dodgy when they say they're only attracted to white people, when caucasian features can be found on ... most other ethnic groups too?? It comes down to stereotyping. What OP is doing is ignorant, dismissing all white boys as being the same.
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by astayuno)
no white dudes gon understand eating rice every single day tho
That is my life what are you talking about 😂👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (78)
38.61%
Take autumn exams (67)
33.17%
Look for a job (6)
2.97%
Consider an apprenticeship (7)
3.47%
Take a year out (31)
15.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.44%

Watched Threads