The Student Room Group

Is not wanting to date a white boy racist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone! Hope you all are well :smile:

I'm a bengali girl and I just don't really see myself dating a white guy. I feel like the cultural differences would be too big and we wouldn't see eye to eye on some things. Could this be considered racist? I'm not basing my preference on any racial stereotypes either so :smile:

Change bengali for white, And white for black and you get banned here for racism. So hard to tell. :biggrin:
I'm pretty sure it technically counts as racism, by the definition of the word, but is it immoral? I don't think so, because it's completely up to you who you choose to date.
Original post by Mojmeer
Change bengali for white, And white for black and you get banned here for racism. So hard to tell. :biggrin:

Are you perhaps Sunbow, the antithesis of Moonbow?
No it's your choice
Original post by Legomenon
I'm pretty sure it technically counts as racism, by the definition of the word, but is it immoral? I don't think so, because it's completely up to you who you choose to date.

She’s basing it on culture and not race as such; I’m sure Bengali culture is very different to UK culture. She may meet compatible white boys in the future, but I don’t think she should be made to feel like a bad person. I’m white and I’m not remotely offended by her attitude.
She’s basing it on culture and not race as such; I’m sure Bengali culture is very different to UK culture. She may meet compatible white boys in the future, but I don’t think she should be made to feel like a bad person. I’m white and I’m not remotely offended by her attitude.

Tbf I made it clear that she's not a bad person for it by saying it's not immoral, I'm not at all offended by her attitude either. I still stand by my statement that it probably is technically racism, because she's attributing cultures and characteristics to people purely based on their race (or skin colour). May be true in most cases but to assume it holds in general is by definition prejudicial. Again I'm making a distinction between racism and immorality here, which is perhaps controversial.
Original post by Drewski
I lived and worked in Japan for 6 months, rice was part of the meal 3 times a day everyday. I not only understood it, but got used to it, and even enjoyed it.

Stereotypes don't work.

You still have it everyday? simple logic>stereotypes :cool:
Then again, if you accept the cultural+religious differences and she still rejects you because you're white then she's just not attracted to you it ain't racist :s-smilie:
Would it be racism to not date black people because you don't find them attractive?
Would it also be racism for a white person to not want to date black people because they want their kids to be white?
Original post by astayuno
You still have it everyday? simple logic>stereotypes :cool:

Pretty much. I have a bowel disease which means no gluten.

OP can like who they like, but they don't get to say it's not a racial prejudice. It is. But that's ok.
Original post by Drewski
Pretty much. I have a bowel disease which means no gluten.

OP can like who they like, but they don't get to say it's not a racial prejudice. It is. But that's ok.

i apologise for trying to be a smart ass

And if that's the case then surely everyone in the world is a racial prejudice...
Original post by astayuno
i apologise for trying to be a smart ass

And if that's the case then surely everyone in the world is a racial prejudice...

Yes, they do. Whether a conscious or unconscious bias, we all have it to some degree.

I'm a bengali girl and I just don't really see myself dating a white guy. I feel like the cultural differences would be too big and we wouldn't see eye to eye on some things. Could this be considered racist? I'm not basing my preference on any racial stereotypes either so :smile:

Nope it's a preference if you don't like a white boy then you don't that's it
Reply 53
No
no its not racist and maybe they wouldn't date you either so its a preference?
Sort of because inter-cultural relationships do exist and work, but that's your preference.
Reply 56
lol? you just said having a preference is fine, but 'bluntly stating you wouldnt date someone solely based on their colour of skin...' is racist? I could say the same thing about someone not wanting to date 80 year olds.

'Having a preference is fine, but BLUNTLY stating that you wouldnt date someone JUST because of their AGE is soooooo ageisstttttt'
Original post by Joleee
does this rule only apply to white guys or do you mean you'd never date anyone who was not Bengali? just wondering.

if you're not basing your preference on racial stereotypes then what you are basing them on?

I'm basing it on my experience with living in a predominately white community and experiencing the culture for many years. I'm not saying I would straight out reject a guy without talking to him just because he's white. I just put a lot of emphasis on culture and I feel like that would possibly get in the way of us

I would date people who weren't bengali
Reply 58

"cultural differences " can be racial stereotypes actually. Suppose that white guy had spent the first 18 years of his life Bangladesh and then the following 5 years living in the uk? how exactly would his skin colour be a problem unless you assumed his "culture"?
Just saying, I wouldn't completely disregard white boys and think of them as lower than me and such. I don't think I worded it well in my question but I just feel that the cultural difference with white people and bengali people is just so big, for me it would be a very big obstacle to overcome and therefore I feel the relationship would go downhill. Having someone who has some similarities to my culture would be much easier. Im not trying to make this about looks. Sorry if it seemed like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending