Thestudent107SWC
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey, I’m starting A levels in September hopefully I’ll be doing English literature,geography and business if you have any tips or advice to get the best grades for any of these subjects please write them below thanks
Advertisement
scienceishguy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Thestudent107SWC)
Hey, I’m starting A levels in September hopefully I’ll be doing English literature,geography and business if you have any tips or advice to get the best grades for any of these subjects please write them below thanks
Hey! I did not specifically undertake these A-Levels but from a general A-level point of view: get prepared over the summer. I managed to contact the college departments before the start of the year (Bio, Chem, Pho) to find out the textbooks and any prior learning I could complete before the course starts so it was a little relaxing when I first started lessons.

On subject suggested revising the harder components from GCSE, another suggested having a skim through the easy stuff in the textbook and another sent me a link to a platform to do some light work to keep the brain ticking over summer.

It may be different for your subjects but there is nothing wrong with being prepared in the slightest way.

Good luck with your two years studying!!
KateR03
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I do geography - best advice is making revision cards and quizlets on key words and case studies. Also, have a glossary where you can add definitions per topic.
Zainab1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
https://www.alevelchemistryandbiology.com I have advice on alevels on my blog
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I took English lit and geography. For English lit I'd say to make a quote bank as you go along and sort them into themes. If you know what books you're going to do be doing then you could always get a head start and read them now. Familiarise yourself with some context of the book and its author and the genre of the book. I did Gothic as one of my genres so we were encouraged to read a range of Gothic books in our spare time.

Geography, I'd say, was pretty similar to gcse so maybe just go through some gcse stuff again to prep for a level. Practice questions are great to do (for any subject) but I wouldn't do too many practice questions until I'm familiar enough with the content.

Hope that helps
Advertisement
Hermione23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
For English, if you know the books your going to be studying try to read them once before you start the course, make sure you have folders ready and some flashcards.
Research into the spec just so you get a jist of the course. But mainly try reading the books your studying and then if you want to do some back ground info on them so what genre, what was the author like etc
But overall have a relax, you deserve it and just refresh and be ready to work your but off in September
Thestudent107SWC
Rep:
?
(Original post by scienceishguy)
Hey! I did not specifically undertake these A-Levels but from a general A-level point of view: get prepared over the summer. I managed to contact the college departments before the start of the year (Bio, Chem, Pho) to find out the textbooks and any prior learning I could complete before the course starts so it was a little relaxing when I first started lessons.

On subject suggested revising the harder components from GCSE, another suggested having a skim through the easy stuff in the textbook and another sent me a link to a platform to do some light work to keep the brain ticking over summer.

It may be different for your subjects but there is nothing wrong with being prepared in the slightest way.

Good luck with your two years studying!!
Thanks for the advice
I’ve done transition work and such to prepare but I’m unsure of buying textbooks and stuff rn but thanks
Advertisement
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for the advice
I’ve done transition work and such to prepare but I’m unsure of buying textbooks and stuff rn but thanks
Don’t buy textbooks until you’re in year 12
Last edited by PetitePanda; 4 months ago
Thestudent107SWC
Rep:
?
Thankyou everyone for the replies taking into account all advice given
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.76%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (780)
42.07%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (365)
19.69%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.48%

Watched Threads