StarNight1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello , I am currently in year 10 going into year 11, I have my GCSEs in 2021 and I would like to go to a grammar sixth form but i'm worried if i don't meet the specific requirements. I have researched a lot and some people have said you need 9 As and some have said A* in the subjects you want to do for A levels and 6's and above for the rest so i'm not sure
AM.TSR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It depends on the specific Sixth Form. You'll have to contact them to find out what the requirements are.
StarNight1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by AM.TSR)
It depends on the specific Sixth Form. You'll have to contact them to find out what the requirements are.
Hello! Sorry for the late reply but I'm now in year 11. Do you go to college or sixth form or are you in still in secondary school? I've checked certain grammar sixth forms and most say you need to get at least 6 or 7 grade 7s in your subjects. Do you think going to a grammar sixth form is worth it or going to a normal sixth form or even college is better?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StarNight1234)
Hello! Sorry for the late reply but I'm now in year 11. Do you go to college or sixth form or are you in still in secondary school? I've checked certain grammar sixth forms and most say you need to get at least 6 or 7 grade 7s in your subjects. Do you think going to a grammar sixth form is worth it or going to a normal sixth form or even college is better?
As the previous poster has said, the entrance requirements are down to the 6th from - my grammar 6th form only requires an average of 5.5 in your best 8 GCSEs. Different schools suit different people. Grammar 6th forms may offer a better range of academic subjects (e.g. Further Maths, more likely to offer A levels in languages) but will probably have fewer (if any) more vocational options (e.g. BTEC, Cambridge Nationals). There may well be other differences in terms of expectations. the best thing to do is to try to get the best feel you can for several different options and pick what will suit you best
StarNight1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Compost)
As the previous poster has said, the entrance requirements are down to the 6th from - my grammar 6th form only requires an average of 5.5 in your best 8 GCSEs. Different schools suit different people. Grammar 6th forms may offer a better range of academic subjects (e.g. Further Maths, more likely to offer A levels in languages) but will probably have fewer (if any) more vocational options (e.g. BTEC, Cambridge Nationals). There may well be other differences in terms of expectations. the best thing to do is to try to get the best feel you can for several different options and pick what will suit you best
Thank you for the advice, would you recommend a grammar sixth form? As you have said you go to a grammar sixth form, do you find it too stressful or do you think its fine. Also do you regret going to that grammar sixth form or would you prefer to go to a normal one or even a college?
c1student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hey i go to a grammar sixth form and really enjoy it tbh - we had quite a few people at the start of y12 join from other non-grammar schools and most have really coped with the transition well. as long as you've picked the subjects you enjoy the most, im sure you will do great!

the expectations might be greater than a comp school but hopefully you will be pushed more to do better things and get better grades.
but i won't lie at my school, if you achieve say a grade 6 in a test you've just done majority of people would be quite unhappy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
31.15%
No - I have already returned home (8)
13.11%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (12)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (3)
4.92%
No - I live at home during term anyway (19)
31.15%

Watched Threads