Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have a normal, non-pedigree moggy. he is six or seven years old and seems super fat to the point of hilarity. (to others)
    I, however, am worried about him. He weighs in at 3.8 kg
    is this normal?
    he is currently on a diet of science plan dry kibbles ( about 3 servings a day from 'loving' family)and the only exercise he gets is waddling to the food bowl.

what shall i do?

ReputationRep:
    Can we see pictures? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yep pictures.
    And my now sadly departed cat was fat but her target weight was about 4 kg so 3.8 can't be that big

ReputationRep:
    it feels like lifting a small baby.
    and no pictures! he has feelings too :p:

seriously any help?

ReputationRep:
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Advice: take it to the vets.

ReputationRep:
    my vets has a chub club - maybe yours will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wikipedia)
    Cats typically weigh between 2.5 and 7 kg (5.5–16 pounds); however, some breeds, such as the Maine Coon, can exceed 11.3 kilograms (24.9 lb). Some have been known to reach up to 23 kilograms (51 lb) due to overfeeding. Conversely, very small cats (less than 1.8 kilograms (4.0 lb)) have been reported.[9]

The largest cat ever was officially reported to have weighed in at about 21.297 kilograms (46.952 lb) (46 lb 15.25 oz).[10][11]
    So yours is fine
    If your worried, take him to the vets...and if you want him to exercise more get him some more toys :p:! Also, how old is he?

EDIT: sorry just seen it

ReputationRep:
    Also belly fur can make them look fatter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tearsinthesky)
    i have a normal, non-pedigree moggy. he is six or seven years old and seems super fat to the point of hilarity. (to others)
    I, however, am worried about him. He weighs in at 3.8 kg
    is this normal?
    he is currently on a diet of science plan dry kibbles ( about 3 servings a day from 'loving' family)and the only exercise he gets is waddling to the food bowl.

what shall i do?
    Losing weight = exercising more and/or cutting back on the calories

If he doesn't exercise much then you're almost certainly going to need to cut back on the food intake.

As a precaution, take him to the vet, get him weighed, find out what kind of weight he should be, and talk to the vet about what you should be doing (ie: in terms of how much you should cut the food intake over how many weeks, etc).

ReputationRep:
    i had a cat that weighed twice that, and the vet was never worried about his weight.

his food doesn't sound that bad. is there anything he likes to play with? or could you make up a game that involves food (i used to make my cat chase a piece of string with a treat on the end of it - not as cruel as it sounds..)?

i have a cat now that loves shoelaces but no other toys or anything. we just discovered by chance that he liked laces. maybe you could look out for something that your cat likes to play with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinPin)
    is there anything he likes to play with? or could you make up a game that involves food (i used to make my cat chase a piece of string with a treat on the end of it - not as cruel as it sounds..)? :giggle:

i have a cat now that loves shoelaces but no other toys or anything. we just discovered by chance that he liked laces. maybe you could look out for something that your cat likes to play with?
    sounds good. i will do.

thanks for all your advice and things. i am less worried now!

ReputationRep:
    heh, you think thats a fat cat, ours weighs 10kg at his peak. He is a rabbit eating machine, and is the largest cat I've ever seen in terms of length and height.

ReputationRep:
    On of my cats is fat, but he'll eat anything though!
    He roots through the compost bin - he was trying to eat a carrot yesterday! He gets packets of biscuits of the kitchen worktop, and knocks it on the floor then tries eating it. He knicks the bag of cat food and runs off into the garden with it!

Good exercise for him i guess... we stop him before he eats too much though! We feed him 3 pouches of whiskas meat a day and he's still greedy, and trys to eat the other cats food.

I have no idea how much he weighs, i might get him checked out on the bathroom scales if he lets me.

I lol at him when he runs though cos he has a wobbly belly, and it swings side to side when he runs. He is lovely though!

ReputationRep:
    My mum adopted a fat cat, she is now nearly normal. I think she was on a proper 'obesity' diet from the vet.

Definitely see the vet.

She's not even allowed outside (yet) so it's not like she's getting a huge amount of exercise

(Please not, weight loss has taken many months!!)

(Also, I have nicknamed her tub tub, and she will always be so)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.