Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...just out of curiosity...

What would you do if you were going out with someone who you liked, but didn't really see yourself having a future with...

...and then you met someone who was perfect for you in every way. You hit it off straight away, swap numbers or whatever, but nothing initially happens.

Would you cheat on your current partner with this ideal man/woman?
    Would you break up with your current partner and chance it with Captain Perfect?
    Would you stay with your current partner and dismiss the newcomer as "friend material?"

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't cheat as that's hardly the good strong foundations of a new relationship. so I would probably see the newcomer in a friends only capacity whilst I gauged if there was a real chance.

If there was a chance I would break up with the girl I was currently seeing. If not then I wouldn't make an issue of it. If however, I knew the girl that I was already seeing had some really deep feelings for me it would make it all a little more difficult.

Apparently a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush, but I reckon I'd still chance it.

Sounds bad.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get to know the person who I though was "ideal" first before making any quick moves.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get to know the person first before making a rash decision, and then decide if they really were 'perfect' for me.
    If so I wouldn't cheat and would dump my current partner instead. It would hardly be fair to keep them hanging on if you liked someone else like that.

ReputationRep:
    i dumped the perfect one for the one i see no future with..

i think i went a bit wrong somewhere down the line..

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all the 'get to know the perfect one' better.

ReputationRep:
    Surely, if you'd happily dump your current partner if the other person did turn out to be ideal, it isn't worth being with your partner anyway?

I don't know what I'd do tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I'd realised I was in a stagnant relationship and do the honest thing and end it. Then I'd take some time out to think about what I want from life, and at the same time, see how it goes with the other guy who seems much more compatible with myself. If friends turns into something more serious, then that would be perfect.

I wouldn't cheat - what's the point.

ReputationRep:
    my granddad dumped his gf at a house party for a girl he'd just met. he was 19, that girl is now my grandmother and they've been married over 40 years. i wouldn't say he has the greatest intuition, maybe he just got lucky?

ReputationRep:
    If I didn't really see myself having a future with my current partner, then I'd probably not be with them, regardless of whether or not there was another perfect guy in the picture.

Similarly to other people's response on this thread though, I would get to know the other guy and see how it went from there. I wouldn't even think about cheating.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I'd want to get to know this "Ideal person" and see if they were actually interested in me. Then again, at my age, finding someone I could see myself spending the rest of my life with would be pretty scary, so I may well end up running from Mr/Miss Ideal. Whatever happened, I wouldn't cheat.

ReputationRep:
    the real question is, why are you wasting your time dating anyone who you don't see a future with. i mean, if you are young and not thinking about marriage and settling down then there is no need to be involved in serious relationships anyway...if you are ready for something serious then don't date anyone who isn't life partner material. no one should be so desperate for a partner / stability / comfort that they are willing to settle for someone less then ideal.

the issue of the other guy only highlights the reasons why its stupid to date someone you have no real future with...because its prevents you from getting involved with someone who might be better for you. but even if the other guy didn't exist its still stupid to settle. its better to be single and having fun and just doing stuff for you then to be in a relationship that is going nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jovana)
    the real question is, why are you wasting your time dating anyone who you don't see a future with. i mean, if you are young and not thinking about marriage and settling down then there is no need to be involved in serious relationships anyway...if you are ready for something serious then don't date anyone who isn't life partner material. no one should be so desperate for a partner / stability / comfort that they are willing to settle for someone less then ideal.

the issue of the other guy only highlights the reasons why its stupid to date someone you have no real future with...because its prevents you from getting involved with someone who might be better for you. but even if the other guy didn't exist its still stupid to settle. its better to be single and having fun and just doing stuff for you then to be in a relationship that is going nowhere.
    But relationships are fun, whether you want to have his babies or not!

ReputationRep:
    yes...casual dating and flings and lovers...all very fun. but there is not point in being exclusive with someone who you have no future with...othewise you hinder your ability to just have fun or to find a great relationship that is really worth investing in.

ReputationRep:
    Some strange attitudes in this thread... d'you really think it's bad to date someone because you find them fun to be around and just want to see how it goes? Surely not everyone has plans/thoughts of marriage or something?

ReputationRep:
    Well if you meet the perfect person then obviously you'd break up with your current parner...what else would you do?
    Unless maybe if you're married with kids or something.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get rid of the current partner then see how things happened with the perfect one.

What have you got to lose if you don't think you'll end up with your current partner anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt do the cheating but ive done the picking the one i thought was perfect for me. It turns out to be a mistake. Sometimes what you THINK is not really hat it IS. You probably think that you have no future with the current girl, but who know if you'd change your mind after 1 month?

ReputationRep:
    This isn't my situation btw, I'm just curious as to what people would do.

ReputationRep:
    Probably cheat with them because I'm an ********.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.