Want more information about this university?
banss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
hi, i am a muslim student who doesn’t drink attending university of portsmouth and have a room in catherine house. i really hope my flatmates are nice and don’t mind me not drinking. i have anxiety though so even if i tell myself not to worry i can’t help it.. i’m so scared. the idea of societies is terrifying to me but if i want to make friends i know i have to do it. i just want to have a good time at uni but i’m just so worried about everything and can’t seem to stop overthinking... if anyone is in my position or just has simple advice feel free to reply!! have a wonderful day, thank you
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
hey don't worry so much. i know you are overwhelmed with all the thoughts of peer pressure but its far from truth. nobody will force you if you politely decline and if you think they are insisting again and again you can leave the place and complain to the nearest authority people are helpful. but i am sure it wont come to this. if you worried about societies because of what you have seen on tv, dont worry its far from the truth as well and every uni has a cultural society as well which you can join. good luck and dont think too much.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
you do not have to drink to make friends. you do what you like and people who understand you will be your friend. you do not need to change yourself in order to fit in. and also there are thousands of people who do not drink as well so calm down you are not alone 🙂
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by banss)
hi, i am a muslim student who doesn’t drink attending university of portsmouth and have a room in catherine house. i really hope my flatmates are nice and don’t mind me not drinking. i have anxiety though so even if i tell myself not to worry i can’t help it.. i’m so scared. the idea of societies is terrifying to me but if i want to make friends i know i have to do it. i just want to have a good time at uni but i’m just so worried about everything and can’t seem to stop overthinking... if anyone is in my position or just has simple advice feel free to reply!! have a wonderful day, thank you
Hey banss!

Congratulations on your place at Portsmouth you must be so excited to start!

Please don’t worry about not drinking! There are plenty of people that don’t drink and no one would ever force you to. There are a lot of societies at Portsmouth and they’re a great way to make friends.

I too was scared to join a society in first year so I didn’t, but I joined one in second year and loved it! So I really would say just push yourself and do it, everyone else will be in the same position and you will soon make friends!

I hope this gives you some confidence about starting at Portsmouth
Eloise -Official Student Rep
banss
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey banss!

Congratulations on your place at Portsmouth you must be so excited to start!

Please don’t worry about not drinking! There are plenty of people that don’t drink and no one would ever force you to. There are a lot of societies at Portsmouth and they’re a great way to make friends.

I too was scared to join a society in first year so I didn’t, but I joined one in second year and loved it! So I really would say just push yourself and do it, everyone else will be in the same position and you will soon make friends!

I hope this gives you some confidence about starting at Portsmouth
Eloise -Official Student Rep
thank you so so much, really!! it’s really does help to hear from actual students, i appreciate it and thank you i am
banss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
you do not have to drink to make friends. you do what you like and people who understand you will be your friend. you do not need to change yourself in order to fit in. and also there are thousands of people who do not drink as well so calm down you are not alone 🙂
thank you so much, as stupid as it sounds, hearing it from other people helps me a lot. i appreciate this!! 😁
banss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
hey don't worry so much. i know you are overwhelmed with all the thoughts of peer pressure but its far from truth. nobody will force you if you politely decline and if you think they are insisting again and again you can leave the place and complain to the nearest authority people are helpful. but i am sure it wont come to this. if you worried about societies because of what you have seen on tv, dont worry its far from the truth as well and every uni has a cultural society as well which you can join. good luck and dont think too much.
this is so so helpful, thank you so so much. hearing people actually say these things really puts me at ease as silly as it sounds, thank you so much again!!
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by banss)
How many more of these threads do we need.... No one cares if you don't drink.
Not introducing yourself as Muslim straightaway though might help come September.
banss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
How many more of these threads do we need.... No one cares if you don't drink.
Not introducing yourself as Muslim straightaway though might help come September.
hi as someone new to this and who struggles with anxiety, posting myself and hearing responses for myself is the best thing possible. sorry if that bothers you.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by banss)
hi as someone new to this and who struggles with anxiety, posting myself and hearing responses for myself is the best thing possible. sorry if that bothers you.
Not your fault, but about 1,000 ppl a day ask this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (63)
41.45%
Take autumn exams (53)
34.87%
Look for a job (3)
1.97%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.63%
Take a year out (20)
13.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.92%

Watched Threads