Denied an entry into University without reference

Watch
GatoMessi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have received an e-mail from Hartpury University for next September 2021 doing BSc (Hons) in International Horseracing Business. I was denied an entry unless I give them my reference. They wanted to receive a "written" reference

For a person who worked as a self-employed without staff (2006 - 2019); not worked for someone else since 1995 (as far as I can remember).

So how am I suppose to get a reference from ?!!!!
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GatoMessi)
I have received an e-mail from Hartpury University for next September 2021 doing BSc (Hons) in International Horseracing Business. I was denied an entry unless I give them my reference. They wanted to receive a "written" reference

For a person who worked as a self-employed without staff (2006 - 2019); not worked for someone else since 1995 (as far as I can remember).

It's standard practice to request a reference, it may not reflect your background as listed on your application.

I would call or email them and explain your circumstances. They are more likely to be flexible for mature applicants.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Is there a professional who could comment on your suitability?
GatoMessi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
It's standard practice to request a reference, it may not reflect your background as listed on your application.

I would call or email them and explain your circumstances. They are more likely to be flexible for mature applicants.
I tried to email them to explain on my situation but they aren't interested!
GatoMessi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Is there a professional who could comment on your suitability?
No, unless you meant a doctor or BSL Interpreters. They may know my character but to comment on my suitability ?!!!
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, unless you meant a doctor or BSL Interpreters. They may know my character but to comment on my suitability ?!!!
That would be better than nothing

Talk to the uni ...
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I tried to email them to explain on my situation but they aren't interested!
Odd, I would have thought they would be very interested that you are unable to fulfil part of your offer.

I looked online but could not find their requirements. Have they stated in your offer or other email what type of reference you are supposed to provide? Again, all you can really do is explain to them that it isn't possible given your work history.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Is there a long standing client who could write you a "character" sort of reference? Or someone you aren't related to but has known you a long time?

If you just have to jump through the hoop, I would try to find someone who could write you something- but I would maybe try emailing again and asking for some advice as to who they would recommend you ask in your situation.
GatoMessi
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Is there a long standing client who could write you a "character" sort of reference? Or someone you aren't related to but has known you a long time?

If you just have to jump through the hoop, I would try to find someone who could write you something- but I would maybe try emailing again and asking for some advice as to who they would recommend you ask in your situation.
All of my clients were online as I only did online business. They don't even know what I look like let alone knowing that I am profoundly deaf and also my age! I have a BSL interpreter that have known me for a long time but only based on my personal character, but she doesn't even know my interests let alone horse racing.

Hartpury University did not even offer me a place "conditionally" - on a condition to give them a written reference, and therefore I would like to know where I stand before the starting of the new academic year. This course was an "extra choice" from UCAS which I declined an unconditional offer from Epsom's University for the Creative Arts for this September doing International Buying & Merchandising. I have had to decline it because of COVID-19 and would apply again for next year unless I got at least a conditional offer from Hartpury.

I have already asked 2 of my BSL Interpretes and they have accepted to write a reference but I am still unsure if they can commit on my suitability for the course as they aren't aware of my horse racing interests. I have written at least 5,000 EXCEL files on horseracing and it will be really shame to waste on a potential student !!!
Last edited by GatoMessi; 3 weeks ago
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago

1, I never even knew this place existed.
2. Shame you didnt ask here as ucas makes it clear you need a reference.
3. The reference just needs to be about character and suitability. There are ideas who you can approach below. You arent the only self employed person to apply for uni, you just need to think it through and pay attention to the information in the link. You must have had dealings with other people over the years.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...uate-reference

Apologies to admit one, sarc and spark plis muttley as am sure am just repeating what they have said.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
All of my clients were online as I only did online business. They don't even know what I look like let alone knowing that I am profoundly deaf and also my age! I have a BSL interpreter that have known me for a long time but only based on my personal character, but she doesn't even know my interests let alone horse racing.

Hartpury University did not even offer me a place "conditionally" - on a condition to give them a written reference, and therefore I would like to know where I stand before the starting of the new academic year. This course was an "extra choice" from UCAS which I declined an unconditional offer from Epsom's University for the Creative Arts for this September doing International Buying & Merchandising. I have had to decline it because of COVID-19 and would apply again for next year unless I got at least a conditional offer from Hartpury.

I have already asked 2 of my BSL Interpretes and they have accepted to write a reference but I am still unsure if they can commit on my suitability for the course as they aren't aware of my horse racing interests. I have written at least 5,000 EXCEL files on horseracing and it will be really shame to waste on a potential student !!!
I think a BSL interpreter could actually be a really suitable person to write a reference for you. You can tell them a bit about your interest in horse-racing and why you want to do the course, as well as a bit about what you have achieved with your business if they don't already know. They would hopefully be well placed to explain to the uni the challenges you may face and support you might need at uni, whilst also explaining how you would be suitable for an academic course in general. You can explain your interest in horse racing more in your personal statement (as that's what it's for).

It is really, really normal for a uni to ask for a reference with the UCAS application, although they will occasionally waive this requirement if it is discussed in advance of applying.

In the normal UCAS cycle, you can apply to 5 unis, so you can apply to both courses again, plus 3 others if you want to. Something like this: https://www.rau.ac.uk/study/undergra...rse-management from RAU might be of interest for example?
GatoMessi
Rep:
?
I think a BSL interpreter could actually be a really suitable person to write a reference for you. You can tell them a bit about your interest in horse-racing and why you want to do the course, as well as a bit about what you have achieved with your business if they don't already know. They would hopefully be well placed to explain to the uni the challenges you may face and support you might need at uni, whilst also explaining how you would be suitable for an academic course in general. You can explain your interest in horse racing more in your personal statement (as that's what it's for).

It is really, really normal for a uni to ask for a reference with the UCAS application, although they will occasionally waive this requirement if it is discussed in advance of applying.

In the normal UCAS cycle, you can apply to 5 unis, so you can apply to both courses again, plus 3 others if you want to. Something like this: https://www.rau.ac.uk/study/undergra...rse-management from RAU might be of interest for example?
Yes I have already considered the course you mentioned and will be one of the 5 choices for next UCAS application for the 2021 academic year.

In the meantime, I am looking to have something to do for this academic year. https://www.merristwood.ac.uk/Course...tails.aspx/707 3 times a week and might stay at home 1-2 a week using online because of COVID-19. This course will help me to do an Equine Business Management just in case I prefer this over International Horseracing Business, because I would like to own/run stables or writing/making movies about horses.

I have already told one of the BSL Interpreters about my interests in horse racing. Fingers cross!

I have had 5 choices but only 1 were offered unconditionally (Epsom's UCA - International Buying & Merchandising which I had to decline on the last day due to COVID-19). Solent University had rejected my application without hesitation for the same course though I had 14 years experience, running my own fashion business without ever had any help. Like Hartpury, Solent wasn't interested when I explained that I had run business and even showed them my EXCEL. I felt hard to believe I was turned down with 14 years experience!!! Anyway Epsom's UCA was always my 1st choice.

That was before I found out that there are "horseracing" course!

The link you gave me Bloodstock and Performance Horse Management, I spent whole 3 months during Lockdown researching on all past Group winners of the last 25 years their pedigree! Amazing to find out that had NEARCO (born 1935) not been born, all the Group winners (about 3,000+ of them) in the last 25 years would've never been born! I love to research research research !!!

Once again thank you for your time in writing. Same goes to all the above postings
GatoMessi
Rep:
?

Today Hartpury Ubiversity had received my reference - that coming from BSL Interpreter. It was well written and accepted, but the only problem that today was the deadline day. They had received 50 minutes before deadline!!! They wanted me to make a written assesment to why I want to do this course. I am little disappointed that I wasn't aware of the deadline and they should've given me the written assesment while waiting to receive the reference!!!
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Today Hartpury Ubiversity had received my reference - that coming from BSL Interpreter. It was well written and accepted, but the only problem that today was the deadline day. They had received 50 minutes before deadline!!! They wanted me to make a written assesment to why I want to do this course. I am little disappointed that I wasn't aware of the deadline and they should've given me the written assesment while waiting to receive the reference!!!
I think the deadline they are referring to is that 13th July is the last date they can make a decision on applications made by 30th June. This is clearly advertised on the UCAS website, and really it's your responsibility to be aware of any deadlines, rather than the unis to remind you.

It's pretty normal for unis to ask for a second personal statement if you've applied for a course that doesn't match your original statement. I agree they could have let you know about this sooner.

It sounds like you feel the uni are being unfair to you, but honestly I think they are being quite generous! It sounds like you didn't really inform yourself about the UCAS process before you applied- and I understand it's hard to know what you don't know, and Hartpury are trying to make it work for you. I hope you do get everything sorted and get a place, though!
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was going to suggest your accountant does a reference (for future people who are self employed and have same issue)
Last edited by Catherine1973; 3 weeks ago
GatoMessi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I would like to thank you for mentioning this site. I have spoken to a 2nd year student who went to Hartpury for 2 years, and now she is in RAU. I asked her why she had chosen RAU over Hartpury. I got the answer I want. This course that you have mentioned, will be my 1st choice in my next UCAS application
harry_gill_23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you are self employed surely you have an accountant or lawyer who can write a reference? Have you tried giving the uni a phone?
GatoMessi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harry_gill_23)
If you are self employed surely you have an accountant or lawyer who can write a reference? Have you tried giving the uni a phone?
Already got a reference since this topic... but thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (45)
40.54%
Take autumn exams (39)
35.14%
Look for a job (2)
1.8%
Consider an apprenticeship (3)
2.7%
Take a year out (15)
13.51%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed