The Student Room Group

Study abroad

Hi, since i was younger i’ve always wanted the opportunity to study abroad or volunteer abroad. i study english lit so i was thinking i could maybe teach english in third world countries or something. however i messaged my careers counsellor and she told me that the university don’t do that and that even if i did find it on my own they wouldn’t accept me taking a semester off to go abroad. tbh i knew that my uni being a small i barely known uni would have some faults but i thought if i could find my own opportunities they would accept it.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, since i was younger i’ve always wanted the opportunity to study abroad or volunteer abroad. i study english lit so i was thinking i could maybe teach english in third world countries or something. however i messaged my careers counsellor and she told me that the university don’t do that and that even if i did find it on my own they wouldn’t accept me taking a semester off to go abroad. tbh i knew that my uni being a small i barely known uni would have some faults but i thought if i could find my own opportunities they would accept it.

Have you asked your university if your course has a year abroad option (which would make it 4 years instead of 3)? You could always work abroad doing TEFL after your degree, if not.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi Anonymous,

Sorry to hear about this! As the previous poster said you could always consider doing a TEFL qualification after university and working abroad (though I am not sure which countries these cover) or alternatively you could search to see if there were any summer programmes you could partake in (not necessarily with your university if they refuse to support it).

Best of luck,
Millie
Reply 3
You are kind heart
How old are you? Are you in high school or university?
By the way, are you boy or girl? If you are a girl, do be careful when traveling abroad

Quick Reply

Latest