screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by beesbees)
Wow, the room must've been poorly plastered... There's no way the force from ripping of blu-tack should pull it off!
It was poorly plastered, obviously the genius who plastered it used wayyy too much water in there. But to be honest you can't garentee what the student accommodation'll be like... I couldn't really tell how well it was plastered just by looking at it!!!
EvilSheep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You could just use normal tape, no??
Nateface
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by EvilSheep)
You could just use normal tape, no??
:no: sellotape strips off the paint on walls when you peel it off
EvilSheep
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nateface)
:no: sellotape strips off the paint on walls when you peel it off

Doesn't in my room at home though!
ThisLittlePiggy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Blu tack desiccates and will damage the wall meaning that you will lose your deposit. White tack is pure gold.
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I used white tac, as it seems to leave less greasy marks, in fact last year it left none, and it was on purpley walls.

However, when you take your posters down you have to roll the tack off carefully so you don't pull off paint/wall paper. It's not difficult though.

In my room, the walls already had marks where blue tak had been pulled off the walls and taken the paint off. The rooms tend not to be absolutely perfect when you move in.

If anything, just say on your inventry, 'nail in wall', 'blue tack marks' ....then it covers you :p:
fungirl1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
guess there will be no chance of me hanging my cd rack on the walls without losing my deposit then
jabed786
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
sellotape strips off the paint on walls when you peel it off
how about masking tape?
or PVA glue - it dries clear.
dropdead__x
Report 12 years ago
i use white tac, and it works some of the time.
either that gripping stuff or pins sound fine
hippobluecampe
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If we do them a job and paint our rooms, do you think it's okay?
animals
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
put it all of your pin board in your room also try blu tacking them the doors and your cupboard.
Zoeeee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Someone told me that its the grease off your fingers that makes blu tack and white tack leave marks on the wall, so if you applied it without touching it it might work! In my first year I got £60 of my desposit taken off for white tack marks, so now live a poster free existant (except for my dr who one which is on the back of my door )
x.Crystal.x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got my dad to redecorate lol. But they still charged me £30 damages.... they are billing me for stuff that wasnt even there when i moved in! But still i never got charged for wall damage!!!!
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
JML 'magic eraser'
http://www.jmldirect.com/product.asp...gecurrency=GBP
"You can remove dirty marks from doors and light switches, polish taps and metal sinks with ease, rub out stains and crayon marks from paintwork. The big value block and be cut to any size for use on large surfaces or tight spaces."
happy-and-lost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If I repaint all of my walls at the end of this year rather than trying to find an exact match to what's already on there, will they notice?

Hey... what about masking tape? That never leaves marks.
smellslikemarmite
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Use pins or staples because blu-tac and white-tac leave greasy stains on the walls.

And to get rid of stains on the walls, use Flash neat. Don't scrub too hard as it actually takes a thin layer of paint off the wall which is enough to get rid of the grease. Oh, or sugar soap.
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm intrigued by these poster pads.
Has anyone actually tried them??
Fabregas1989
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JocastaJackal)
Yep,

You can get stick-on hooks that stick to the wall. Not sure if they leave a mark but it's better than drilling holes.
I've got them in my bedroom; they leave marks, but you can get rid of them easily. Use spray-on Flash and a wet flannel or something like that. Works every time but you MUST use the wet flannel or it bleaches your walls!!!!!

Ditto for the blu-tac
JocastaJackal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by happy-and-lost)
If I repaint all of my walls at the end of this year rather than trying to find an exact match to what's already on there, will they notice?

Hey... what about masking tape? That never leaves marks.
Can you get double sided masking tape so you can just put it on the back of the poster so it doesn't show?
Untitled258
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Masking tape is bad. I left a load of sketches and notes i made for uni stuck up onto the wall, after a while masking tape stuff becomes really stuck and rips off paint. Its only really any use if you only stick things up for a few days with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.64%
I'm not sure (40)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (279)
30.26%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (444)
48.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed