The Student Room Group

A level subject choices for law

Hey guys! So I'm going into year 13 (A2) this coming academic year and I wanted some insight on whether my A level subject combination would put me at a disadvantage compared to other applicants for law. The subjects I did for AS were English Language, Sociology, Physics and Chemistry. I understand it sounds quite odd for someone wanting to go into law as most law applicants usually take A level subjects such as History/Economics but I did not as History wasn't offered in my school and I didn't take Economics for igcses so I didn't want to take the risk of falling behind it in A levels. I researched university requirements for law before taking up my subjects and most of the top london unis (LSE,UCL,Kings) said they prefer it if their applicants have a broad mix of traditionally "academic" subjects from their "preferred subjects" list. All of the subjects I took fell into that category so I figured I was fine. But now, since I'm going into A2, I was thinking about maybe dropping physics because I figured I could do my best by giving my attention to 3 subjects instead of 4, especially since physics is a subject that takes quite a lot of time to work on/study. So would I be at a disadvantage with English Language, Chemistry and Sociology as my final A2 subjects? I'm asking this because I've seen quite a few threads with people saying that English Language and Sociology aren't very respected by unis so I wanted to make sure if dropping Physics would not put me at a further disadvantage. Every uni (for a law LLB degree) that I've checked say that they don't put too much emphasis on subjects as long as applicants meet their grade requirements so I'm quite conflicted on what to do. I really do enjoy all my subjects and I've been doing quite well in them too. Any insight/advice from law applicants would be really helpful! Thank you <3
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mariamjacob
Hey guys! So I'm going into year 13 (A2) this coming academic year and I wanted some insight on whether my A level subject combination would put me at a disadvantage compared to other applicants for law. The subjects I did for AS were English Language, Sociology, Physics and Chemistry. I understand it sounds quite odd for someone wanting to go into law as most law applicants usually take A level subjects such as History/Economics but I did not as History as it wasn't offered in my school and I didn't take Economics for igcses so I didn't want to take the risk of falling behind it in A levels. I researched university requirements for law before taking up my subjects and most of the top london unis (LSE,UCL,Kings) said they prefer it if their applicants have a broad mix of traditionally

Hey! I think with the subject combinations you currently have is fine for Law because English Language and sociology are essay-based subjects. Again just keep an eye out for uni requirements for law and be aware that you need to take the LNAT test for law. Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by mariamjacob
Hey guys! So I'm going into year 13 (A2) this coming academic year and I wanted some insight on whether my A level subject combination would put me at a disadvantage compared to other applicants for law. The subjects I did for AS were English Language, Sociology, Physics and Chemistry.

Those subjects are fine for Law - all three are on LSEs list of preferred subjects and they are fussy. I think it would be an excellent idea for you to drop Physics in order to concentrate on your top 3 subjects as offers will be based on 3 not 4 subjects like A*AA. The 3 London unis you mentioned will also require you getting a good grade in the LNAT test but not all unis use the LNAT

Quick Reply

Latest