Dechante
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was thinking of becoming a genetic counsellor as a possible career. Does anyone know the job prospects, career, salary and the demand for genetic counselling?
revolvingseed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Genetic counsellor is very specific/narrow field in terms of job prospects, where as a genetic counsellor you analyse someone's genetic lineage for planned parenthood or for research purposes such as genetic factors/risks for cancer. The job will be named a "genetic counsellor" you would either work for the NHS or privately but private GCs are very competitive and are usually at a level of consultancy or at least five to eight years plus worth of experience. If you worked in the NHS then your salary will start from £33k upwards, with genetic counsellors that over five years will get approx. £39k. Private sector is £60k+, if you worked in Europe then it will be around £50-80k, and the same applies to North America. In the UK it is not heavily demanded, due to budget cuts but places like Germany, Switzerland, Canada and America really appreciate that qualification and experience more as they are more in demand especially in the planned parenthood department.
Dechante
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by revolvingseed)
Genetic counsellor is very specific/narrow field in terms of job prospects, where as a genetic counsellor you analyse someone's genetic lineage for planned parenthood or for research purposes such as genetic factors/risks for cancer. The job will be named a "genetic counsellor" you would either work for the NHS or privately but private GCs are very competitive and are usually at a level of consultancy or at least five to eight years plus worth of experience. If you worked in the NHS then your salary will start from £33k upwards, with genetic counsellors that over five years will get approx. £39k. Private sector is £60k+, if you worked in Europe then it will be around £50-80k, and the same applies to North America. In the UK it is not heavily demanded, due to budget cuts but places like Germany, Switzerland, Canada and America really appreciate that qualification and experience more as they are more in demand especially in the planned parenthood department.
Thank you so much!!
revolvingseed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dechante)
Thank you so much!!
No problem, good luck. I study Genetics and learning about genetic counselling is part my course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (82)
25%
Better than expected (70)
21.34%
Worse than expected (176)
53.66%

Watched Threads