Essay writing/ article writing

Watch
keblundell
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi what is plagerism? I have entered a competition for college/ uni can you take an idea from somewhere and put it in an essay. It was from a newspaper I didn't copy it completely put it in my own words but still took the idea- is that plagerism or not?

SAARH.A5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own, so technically it is plagiarism as you are using their idea. Although, as you have put it into your own words, you probably won't get caught. It is still plagiarism though, so I wouldn't recommend you using their idea.
keblundell
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SAARH.A5)
Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own, so technically it is plagiarism as you are using their idea. Although, as you have put it into your own words, you probably won't get caught. It is still plagiarism though, so I wouldn't recommend you using their idea.
yeah but there is different types and anyone could of thought of that. If someone spoke it would that be plagarism?
SAARH.A5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by keblundell)
yeah but there is different types and anyone could of thought of that. If someone spoke it would that be plagarism?
What do you mean by this? You are using their idea and claiming that it is your own, so it is plagiarism.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by keblundell)
Hi what is plagerism? I have entered a competition for college/ uni can you take an idea from somewhere and put it in an essay. It was from a newspaper I didn't copy it completely put it in my own words but still took the idea- is that plagerism or not?
SAARH.A5 puts it accurately. Copying someone else's ideas, even when reworded, is plagiarism unless you reference your source.

It's academic theft, basically. You're taking the ideas and work of others and attempting to pass it off as your own. This has severe penalties in academia, so it's best to learn about it right from the beginning.

If in doubt, reference your work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (193)
33.22%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
50.09%
I still don't know (97)
16.7%

Watched Threads