Turn on thread page Beta

Formatting a very SLOW computer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I have an old computer which i dont really use much because its so slow...its only a few years old but over the years, it seems to have become slower and slower.

I want to format it in order to get it running faster again BUT Im abit unsure of whether I should do this because i dont have a windows XP disk...Should I have got one when I bought it ?

Also, im worried that I may delete essential drivers off the computer and wont know how to replace them..ive read other topics on this and people have mentioned backing these drivers up but WHICH drivers are we talking about and HOW do i back them up ??

Do I need a windows disk in order to format my computer ???
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes you do need a windows disk before formatting. Go no further unless you have one

ReputationRep:
    Get a disk and then go from there
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Formatting takes everything away - including drivers and your OS. So yeah, you need lots and lots of disks (or another computer with an internet connection in case you get stuck) before you even think about it.

ReputationRep:
    But ive just been on the manufacturers website and it says this:
    HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery information. The use of a separate partition provides a convenient process that eliminates the use of recovery discs that may be lost or scratched.

I have internet connection on my laptop.

Can someone please just tell me which drivers I need to backup ?

Graphics cards, printers etc ????
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't know how because i've never done it before, since i build my own computer and i get all my drivers on CD.

Usually the drivers would be available to be downloaded from the manfacturer's website

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand what is meant by reinstalling the graphics card though...how do i find out which one i have at the moment ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Right click on the desktop > properties > Settings

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much for your help.
    Okay, welll im going to have a go now.....wish me luck :| lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by star888)
    But ive just been on the manufacturers website and it says this:
    HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery information. The use of a separate partition provides a convenient process that eliminates the use of recovery discs that may be lost or scratched.

I have internet connection on my laptop.

Can someone please just tell me which drivers I need to backup ?

Graphics cards, printers etc ????
    I've bumped into one of these partitions before and it gave me the option to burn all of the disks I needed to recover factory settings. I'm not sure if it's the same for you? There should be a help file somewhere on your system that should explain the entire procedure to you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by star888)
    Thankyou so much for your help.
    Okay, welll im going to have a go now.....wish me luck :| lol
    Well good luck, can always post back here if you need help :yep:

ReputationRep:
    do you know anyone that has a "plain" copy of the same xp version?
    if so, use their cd to install, then use the key on the side of your pc case

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.